Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 20:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

Finally, something which sounds authentic and genuine to keep away those rats.
I'll be heading straight to 3M this weekend and getting this done. My cars wires and pipes are just holding on by my prayers.

The rubber sleeve over a pipe is almost fully chewed off and the mesh covering on the fuel pipe on the common rail is half torn.
With the resident cat no more sadly, who in fact made its bed on top of my engine for a short while, there was a half eaten mango in my engine bay just the day after!

Last edited by tharian : 11th June 2018 at 20:06.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 22:44   #17
BHPian

I had called 3 3M outlets in Bangalore (Indiranagar, Marathalli, Banaswadi) but none seem to have stock. Anyone know a place where the stock exists?
Old 12th June 2018, 07:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
I had called 3 3M outlets in Bangalore (Indiranagar, Marathalli, Banaswadi) but none seem to have stock. Anyone know a place where the stock exists?
Try 3M Car Care - RMV extension ( Contact Nr. 98459 08525)
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 09:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
I went to 3M HSR Layout yesterday and got the coating done.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 22:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Try 3M Car Care - RMV extension ( Contact Nr. 98459 08525)
Thx. Yes they do have it in stock, dropped my car there for Rodent Repellent + Paint Sealant treatment.
Old 12th June 2018, 23:51   #21
BHPian

Hi,
last weekend I was at 3M Car Care store in Borivali West link road, got some services done : (item 1-4 of priority)
1) underbody anti-rust with 5 years warranty
2) Silencer Coating for anti-rust (its supposed to be a one time task). Silencer had superficial rusting and it was first cleaned using fine sandpaper.
3) interior cavity protection (wax sprayed inside panels of all doors, I even got it sprayed in hood panel of bonnet) (its supposed to be a one time task)
4) Front AC vents cleanup using their AC Form Cleaner

5) When told about this Rodent Repellent, I agreed for Love (car/rides) & Fear (cost of damages)!
This chemical can was sprayed in wheel arches, rubber hoses, electrical wires & connectors - from underneath vehicle and in the engine bay. This spray was lacquer like so I asked if it would later dry into cracks (seen some vehicles, that looks bad - refer !): I was assured it was 'special' lacquer and wouldn't turn bad, but just keep the rodents (rats) away for 6-8 months easily.

I was closely supervising the whole work and kept pointing the guy for some cleanup or extra attention, typical they are in ultra hurry to finish the task.

The next day I found : http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/O...dent_Repellant and was bit surprised "Lab Tested & Proven *" wherein "*" is mentioned as "Based on application across 25 to 30 cars" !! Isn't that too small sample to really comment ?!

The advisor also insisted on 3M DFSC treatment, which for now I refused. Refer my query

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 09:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Since on cars the engine bay normally is not washed so the effect of water will not be seen, but if it is intentionally done then I guess the effect of the coating will wear off.

On motorbikes, not sure as it is exposed to rain and sun, you need to check at the 3M outlet.
Thank you.

If i understand correctly, this is applied to the wheel arches as well, which is the primary entry point for rats. Wheel arches are probably the most exposed to consistent muck, water, dirt, and debris and will be washed extensively every time you water service the car.

If so, how does the 3m protection stay there? And if it is going to come off the next time you wash the wheel arches, what is the point of spraying it there in the first place?

I would certainly like to get my hands on a bottle so i can safely spray the bike myself (when parking at dodgy places for the night when touring).
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 10:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thank you.

If i understand correctly, this is applied to the wheel arches as well, which is the primary entry point for rats. Wheel arches are probably the most exposed to consistent muck, water, dirt, and debris and will be washed extensively every time you water service the car.

If so, how does the 3m protection stay there? And if it is going to come off the next time you wash the wheel arches, what is the point of spraying it there in the first place?

I would certainly like to get my hands on a bottle so i can safely spray the bike myself (when parking at dodgy places for the night when touring).
When I spoke to the store manager at 3M HSR, he said even after this coating, rats would still come to the engine bay, but they won't be biting any wires which have the coat on it.
Repsol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 11:01   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
rats would still come to the engine bay, but they won't be biting any wires which have the coat on it.
There could be some truth in this statement. Maverick5490 told me he saw rat prints under my bonnet area, but nothing was damaged (I use the Autoshine spray).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
The next day I found : http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/O...dent_Repellant and was bit surprised "Lab Tested & Proven *" wherein "*" is mentioned as "Based on application across 25 to 30 cars" !! Isn't that too small sample to really comment ?!
I'm only going to go by BHPian reviews on this thread . Thread subscribed!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 14:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
When I spoke to the store manager at 3M HSR, he said even after this coating, rats would still come to the engine bay, but they won't be biting any wires which have the coat on it.
So why are they wasting the bottle on the wheel arch? This confounds me. They could just give the left over to the customer to re-spray on the engine bay alone next time around as a top-up.

Is this a gimmick to ensure people go back to 3M after 6 months and maybe get upsold on other things?

I also understand that 3M might not want smaller competition to get their hands on the can via the open market and start applying it on cars for a "fee".

I don't like this approach.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 14:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

If 3M can keep the rats away for 6 months at the price of a semi lavish dinner, I really don't give a rat's arse if they monopolize the market :-D

Will check around and see if I can get this done too.
honeybee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 14:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Got this done today as the rat menance had become every night affair.
Need to see in few days if it was worth the money.

Make sure that the bottom of windshield is covered with paper as the over spray ends up there and is difficult to remove.
It has a strong stench which is not a good smell which will be in the cabin for a short while even with the air circulation in open mode.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 08:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4414681

I got the treatment done for my car a couple of days ago. Was quite happy with the way 3M HSR did the job.

Now, to wait and watch. Hope the product lives up to the hype.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 10:55   #29
BHPian

Well, I was out of action for a month as I had fractured my leg. Thus the CR-V and the Sunny wasn't used since my wife only drives the Civic. So after a month of rest, when I open the Sunny's bonnet, rat droppings and food in the engine bay and the CRV was even worse, damn thing found it's way inside and saw rat droppings everywhere. Chewed off the reverse camera/sensor connection. Rest all seem to be fine though. Put in some glue based rat trap inside the car but no luck. Finally gave both car for diesel cleaning and interior cleaning. So far didn't notice any traces of the rat visit again and started using the car like normal.
Good timing to see this 3M treatment and as GTO said, it's atleast a known brand. Hopefully they have this service in Kochi.
So Rs.1,080 or whatever includes the entire process or just the can while the washing and other activities are extra?
Old 15th June 2018, 11:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
So Rs.1,080 or whatever includes the entire process or just the can while the washing and other activities are extra?
It includes washing the engine bay and the spray. That's all.

I didnt opt for a full car wash when I was at 3M as I wanted to beat rush hour traffic. But I know someone in Goa who also got the entire car washed. He was charged separately for the wash.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks