Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2018, 17:59   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, I was really hoping that 3M's product works because of the brand backing it and the systematic way in which they apply it.

Please get AutoShine - it works - link
Seems to be varying responses on this autoshine product. I have sprayed on the swe rat spray on mine.

I think the cats are the best solution. Put some food around so they kind of regularly hang out in the area and hopefully your automobile is safe.

Man, with electric cars coming with everything running probably only on wires, rats are gonna have a field day!
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 14:56   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

After 2 months of 3M rat repellent treatment:

Call it sheer luck or the effect of 3M, here are the results. Would give the benefit of doubt to 3M as footprints seen on the engine bay but no damage done yet.

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20180729_141849.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 15:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
After 2 months of 3M rat repellent treatment:

Call it sheer luck or the effect of 3M, here are the results. Would give the benefit of doubt to 3M as footprints seen on the engine bay but no damage done yet.
It is the same situation with mine.

Got the coating done almost 2 months ago, but the rats still enter and leave their eatables around, but nothing damaged. I hope it remains like that since the car will be idle for 3 weeks next month.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 17:01   #64
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

I have almost always faced this issue of rats seating in engine bay and littering around. But some days back it was the first time that they did some damage. It ate out a big portion of the dampening inside the bonnet. Obviously I was furious and immediately rushed to 3M in worli Mumbai. I got the rodent treatment done at the 3m outlet for Rs.1100 . The staff was helpful and friendly but also little skeptical whether it can really keep the rats away. After the treatment almost for 10 days it kept the rats away but now they are back. So in short this is not working. It seems even 3M can't save us from rats.
amolathalye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 19:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
After the treatment almost for 10 days it kept the rats away but now they are back. So in short this is not working. It seems even 3M can't save us from rats.
Question here is after the 3M treatment were any wires damaged due to rats?

3M personnel says it will not prevent rat from 'visiting' the engine bay, but will not cut any wires as the coating repels them for doing so.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 09:41   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It ate out a big portion of the dampening inside the bonnet.
The 'Autoshine' spray that I use is liberally applied on the insulation & dampening too (both, under the bonnet and on the firewall). Did 3M do the same?
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 09:54   #67
BHPian

@GTO - I also use the "Autoshine" spray - so far the experience has been good. I also had a chance to talk to Mr. Parag of Autoshine last month. While it could be "advertising", he did mention that the 3M spray was sprayed very haphazardly by the 3M folks. Furthermore, the customer is forced to have the 3M guys spray the car when buying the spray and will not sell the can directly to customer without having the 3M guys spray it. Also, the spray is more expensive (quantity wise) than the Autoshine product.

All this sounds a bit fishy to me. From the posts, am not sure that 3M spray is entirely effective. The Autoshine spray seem to elicit more positive comments.

My only issue with Autoshine is that there is absolutely no indication on the can of the chemical composition (i.e. the ingredients) of the product.
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 11:19   #68
BHPian

Quote:
The 'Autoshine' spray that I use is liberally applied on the insulation & dampening too (both, under the bonnet and on the firewall). Did 3M do the same?
Yes GTO , they applied.
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 17:34   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
he did mention that the 3M spray was sprayed very haphazardly by the 3M folks.
I'd assume that a professional 3M staff member will apply it more carefully than an amateur car owner.

Quote:
My only issue with Autoshine is that there is absolutely no indication on the can of the chemical composition (i.e. the ingredients) of the product.
I agree. The smell is unbearable. I don't use the car for 24 hours after its been applied.

Quote:
Yes GTO , they applied.
Damn, then its confirmed that the 3M spray doesn't work. Yours is the 2nd or 3rd failure reported on this thread. Please try 'Autoshine'. It sure seems to work!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 17:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree. The smell is unbearable. I don't use the car for 24 hours after its been applied.
I like the smell of autoshine, smells very ayurvedic / herb'ish We have been using this for last 1 year after GTO recommended it. So far so good and of course, we now have two semi domesticated city cats guarding, around the parking place.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 18:10   #71
BHPian

Friends

I use 10 Rupees worth of raw tobacco strips which I buy in a nearby Indian medicine shop tie with a cord inside the engine bay and change once in 6 months, its been effective, rats stay away till the tobacco smells strong. Sanjeev V S, Bangalored.
Sanjeev V S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 19:42   #72
BHPian

I recall somewhere on TBhp reading about a BHPian (who was having problems with rats in his engine) who sprayed Autoshine on his engine and actually waited in his building's basement during a night (or a few nights) to observe whether any rats came.

Well - a rat came but instead of jumping on the wheel and into the engine, he said that the rat stood on its hind legs, smelled around and moved away.
So, something apparently works in the formulation.
motorguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 15:37   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Well - a rat came but instead of jumping on the wheel and into the engine, he said that the rat stood on its hind legs, smelled around and moved away.
Hahaha! That would've been a sight and trust a BHPian to observe that.

My take is that rats still enter the engine bay (have seen marks), but they don't bite the wires sprayed with AutoShine.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 01:25   #74
BHPian

Hi friends. Just saw this on Instagram and thought of posting it here in case anybody plans to get the treatment done on their rides.

P.S- I have no commercial interest in 3M.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-screenshot_20180814_011856.png  

Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 08:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

An update. I spoke to the 3M franchisee owner Mr Sheshadri who had initially sent me the flyer regarding the Rat repellent coating and updated him of the ineffectiveness of the coating as confirmed by few BHPians. I had forwarded him the thread link for reference purpose only and he has taken the issue with the 3M people. Mr Sheshadri also confirmed that out of 600+ customers in Thane who opted for the 3M coating, he has recd one complaint till date but that was regarding smell and not any due to rat tamper. He was of the opinion that application of the coating is the key to the effectiveness, this explanation is debatable actually. Mr Sheshadri is going to update me of any response recd from 3M people.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks