Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2018, 11:35   #31
BHPian

re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

Any idea if this is pet proof? My dog loves sleeping under the car , what would happen if he sniffs or licks a place like the wheel arch etc where this treatment has been done?
Old 15th June 2018, 11:43   #32
BHPian

Will applying this spray in the engine bay negate the warranty in some of the high end and fussy car manufacurers? I am hoping it won't since its is an external application only like any paint protect sealant etc, but considering its inside the engine bay on electronics etc, there could be some "noise" from service center? I have heard of luxury car companies denying warranty on flimsy basis and this troubles me.
Old 15th June 2018, 12:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

If i understand correctly, this is applied to the wheel arches as well, which is the primary entry point for rats. Wheel arches are probably the most exposed to consistent muck, water, dirt, and debris and will be washed extensively every time you water service the car.

If so, how does the 3m protection stay there? And if it is going to come off the next time you wash the wheel arches, what is the point of spraying it there in the first place?

I would certainly like to get my hands on a bottle so i can safely spray the bike myself (when parking at dodgy places for the night when touring).
Under conditions of driving in monsoon the coating in the wheel arches will not come off. But if you do pressure wash the coating would gradually wear off.

3M normally do not sell this as a product. If you have influence at any 3M outlets then you could possibly get one.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 13:23   #34
BHPian

I have been using mortein rat kill for many years now,it is an effective cheap method ,since it not only repels but kills the rodents too.break the ratkill into square pieces and stick it in the engine bay using a good quality double tape.
Regards
Sammy Aulakh
sammyaulakh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 13:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
So Rs.1,080 or whatever includes the entire process or just the can while the washing and other activities are extra?
I got the waterless wash done for the car along with this process which involves cleaning the engine bay and arches and the total including GST was 1,600/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Under conditions of driving in monsoon the coating in the wheel arches will not come off. But if you do pressure wash the coating would gradually wear off.
It will take a while for it to come off as I realized when I got mine done. Hero's at Koramangala branch did not put paper to protect the bottom of the windshield, and the spray took a while to come off after quite a bit of scrubbing with clay.
The effect may fade, but the coating will be there , I feel.
Old 15th June 2018, 13:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyaulakh View Post
I have been using mortein rat kill for many years now,it is an effective cheap method ,since it not only repels but kills the rodents too.break the ratkill into square pieces and stick it in the engine bay using a good quality double tape.
Regards
Sammy Aulakh
Dude, that's the worst thing you can ever do. Imagine the rat died at a place where you can't access and worst, don't know where the horrible smell comes from. I keep getting this advice form google and all the car mechanics, never put poison to kill it, just take precautions to prevent it from coming to the car.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 14:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, that's the worst thing you can ever do. Imagine the rat died at a place where you can't access and worst, don't know where the horrible smell comes from. I keep getting this advice form google and all the car mechanics, never put poison to kill it, just take precautions to prevent it from coming to the car.
The poison in the rat kill works in a manner ,that the moment they consume it ,they run towards water so no way they die in the car.seen a lot of rats dead near taps or water sources but never in the car.this I am saying from years of experience...
sammyaulakh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 14:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Regards
Sammy Aulakh
Thought long & hard about this method after suffering rat bites in my Skoda but thinking about the horrible death they would face after poisoning just decided to go the 3M way
raihan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 17:02   #39
BHPian

This is great! I have only one fixed parking in my building and so other car is always parked on a private road shared between 2 other neighboring buildings and there is rodent issue there. rodents have already spoiled the under bonnet pad of my vento and made a big hole in it. will get this done on both my cars soon now.
Old 16th June 2018, 10:33   #40
BHPian

Unfortunately Kochi outlet doesn't have a clue what this is. Maybe they didn't receive the product. Let me see if I can get in touch with 3M directly and enquire this.
Old 16th June 2018, 10:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Looks like either 3M didn't do a good job or the spray is not good enough for the rats at my place.
They did say it is ineffective on the big sized ones.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-a605e670ff854ea5b8bb99c106bf061c.jpeg  

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-0dab65fe2a3c439fb54930b2f27ff663.jpeg  

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-e6e41cfed3cf4680bd035072476372e8.jpeg  

tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 11:36   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like either 3M didn't do a good job or the spray is not good enough for the rats at my place.
Sorry if I missed it - what's the problem in the pictures?

It was mentioned earlier that these sprays don't stop rats from coming, but they do stop them from biting.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 12:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry if I missed it - what's the problem in the pictures?
The mud marks weren't there earlier. I did this on Thursday and car wasn't used on Friday until this morning when I checked under the hood. Attached the picture taken at 3M soon after the spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It was mentioned earlier that these sprays don't stop rats from coming, but they do stop them from biting.
I sure hope that is the case . The bites that happened had occurred whenever I visited Chennai and parked the car there at the same spot. At my place in Bangalore, the rats always enter, but I haven't noticed anything bitten. But again that is just luck and matter of time.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-75357c14d60a4ebba20e2e2974592195.jpeg  

tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 14:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The poison in the rat kill works in a manner ,that the moment they consume it ,they run towards water so no way they die in the car.seen a lot of rats dead near taps or water sources but never in the car.this I am saying from years of experience...
Oh....that's news to me. Well then it's fine. They get thirsty eh...intresting. Meanwhile I called 3M Regional sales and complained that the 3M showroom idiots have no clue about this treatment and he suggested that I take it to Honda A.S.S that has the spray and they'll take care of it. Just dropped off the car. Bit funny thing is they didn't say anything about the 24 hr do not put on the a/c or so.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Oh....that's news to me. Well then it's fine. They get thirsty eh...intresting.
The rat poison thins the blood resulting in making it feel dizzy. So after consuming the poison the rat would prefer a safe place and would generally try to go back to its 'home'. Most of the times the home would be a sewer or cellar, typically a water body. Hence it is often said 'rat goes out' when poisoned.

It would be really tricky with high energy rats, which would still hang around the place even after consuming the poison assuming that they can sustain for some more time, but may end up dying due to internal bleeding while crossing narrow way or jumping .

I have been using the traditional 'trap box' and have become an expert by catching more than 30+ rats in past 3 years. But must agree, its not difficult, but impossible to get rid of them completely.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-rat.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks