Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 16:57   #46
BHPian

re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

I faced this problem once. There was rodent in my car but could not find. I tried Baygon spray, Mortein etc but that did not stop my problem and the seat foam was chewed and lay across in teh car. My dad gave "desi idea". Got dried red chillies and coal. I burnt the coal and once flame were not there put dried red chillies on the coal and put it inside the car for about 30 minutes. After that never faced the problem. The pungent smell remained in the car for couple of days.
Slowjet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 17:55   #47
BHPian

I got the 3M coating done found Rat eating Jamun inside the hood the very next day. However it did not cut or damaged anything but concerns me that still rats are entering the car
dreamz_mak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 18:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz_mak View Post
I got the 3M coating done found Rat eating Jamun inside the hood the very next day. However it did not cut or damaged anything but concerns me that still rats are entering the car
As mentioned earlier in this thread, 3M themselves say that this coating is not going to ensure that rats won't enter the engine bay. They will still enter, but the coating ensures that they don't bite anything which is sprayed.
Repsol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 22:16   #49
BHPian

Even I can confirm that rats do enter the engine bay despite the 3m coating, a little disappointed as they seem to leave rubbish inside.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 00:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tried it over my car,

More details here,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4418456

Fingers crossed, Hope it works!
Old 25th June 2018, 15:38   #51
BHPian

How about spraying the normal pepper spray in the engine compartment ? The one available everywhere ( Cobra Spray ? ) should be good enough ? Again would not deter the rats from entering, but ideally they wouldn't bite anything.
Another drawback can be the quantity in the can ..
Old 29th June 2018, 15:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the interim Verdict - 100 % satisfied and successfully not seen any traces on rodent footprints on the engine bay.
The shine on the engine bay seen is of the coating.

Final verdict a month of monitoring after the 3M rat repellent treatment:

- 100 % satisfied as the coating stays and no signs of any damage, though you can see traces of footprints of the rat on some parts.

- Coating stays even when driven in rains

1. In Polo - car is being used only twice a week and deliberately kept in the same area when last attacked.

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20180624_074416.jpg

Circled area shows traces of footprints,

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20180624_074421.jpg

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20180624_074426.jpg

2. In S Cross - No Traces of any rat footprints - car is being driven as the daily commute !

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20180624_083859.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:11   #53
BHPian

We had heard of many residents in our community complain of rats having bitten wires and pipes, mostly for cars in the peripheral covered parking! Thankfully, our Brio, which is also parked in the same "problem" area, was spared of any such attacks.

However, we noticed a peculiar behaviour since the last few days. On cranking up the car, the engine was revving up all the way up to 2000 rpm and higher.

As the creep function turned into a sprint, I took the car to Honda today and a quick inspection of the engine bay reveled this ...

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-brioenginebay.jpg

The air intake pipe was been replaced and an appointment with Honda service was scheduled for application of 3M rodent repellent spray and installation of a mesh to prevent our little friends from entering the cabin.

From my experience with Brigade Honda, I'm hoping they will do as good a job, if not any better, as 3M with the application!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:52   #54
BHPian

Hello
This seems interesting & much cheaper than the product from "noratsincar" which I have been using for the past couple of years especially when I travel and park the car overnight!
Will enquire in the nearest 3m outlet !
Thanks !
Old 9th July 2018, 22:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so the first casualty seems to be my car. Around three weeks back I got the rat repellant treatment done on my car.

The car was in the workshop for radiator fan replacement the same evening. I collected the car two days later and parked it in front of the house.

Last week when I took the car out, the left headlight had conked off. Over the weekend, the remote locking stopped working completely.

Got it checked today morning and found the headlight wire damaged and remote locking wire clean snapped near the battery terminal. Not to mention several shreds of the under bonnet insulation pad strewn around in the engine bay.

Have stripped the insulation pad completely and thrown it away. It provides a safe and cozy nesting place to the rodents.

Will watch for more damage. Rains have brought out the rodents in good numbers it seems.
honeybee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 08:52   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Ok, so the first casualty seems to be my car. Around three weeks back I got the rat repellant treatment done on my car.
Damn, I was really hoping that 3M's product works because of the brand backing it and the systematic way in which they apply it.

Please get AutoShine - it works - link
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 18:38   #57

Re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

I had this nightmarish experience with rats enjoying BBQ meals all over my engine bay and with plenty of rat shit and food leftovers spread all over, whenever my Creta was parked for long periods (in my bldg parking slot) without movement.
Tried Tobacco pouches tied to the engine bonnet inside, worked for a while, but then those pouches lose their potency and do not look elegant anyways and the rats do make a comeback. Tried rat poison cakes as well, not much difference observed, the BBQ parties continued.
Thanks for this information about Rodent Repellants i came across on the forum, Just got 3M Rodent Repellant spray applied at a closeby 3M center (Lokhandwala) see pics attached, will monitor and update on recurrence of the BBQ parties, if I observe any, or their disappearance as well.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-3m-1.jpg  

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-3m-2.jpg  

Old 13th July 2018, 16:03   #58
BHPian

I also went and got this anti-rodent spray done. Spent 1750 in all (product cost as well as washing of the car). I have the say, the ST Bed Koramangala Service Manager is extremely kind and very friendly (I forget his name). He even pointed out to me some of the road tar debris on one side of my car and cleaned them personally (I know he is trying to up-sell, but still, many would not do that.) and doing such a good job that by the time he was done, I was getting impatient since I was spending more time there than I had planned.
They thoroughly wash the car, dry the engine area and then spray the product on all plastic parts and wires, both from under the engine and over - looking in from the engine bay and from the wheel arches. I have not had a rat scare till now, but three Hyundai cars from my apartment were victims and mine being a hyundai, I didnt want to run the risk . So far, nothing. Its been two weeks. Let's wait and watch.
Old 13th July 2018, 16:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Will watch for more damage. Rains have brought out the rodents in good numbers it seems.
The coating has a warranty period, suggest to show to 3M and ask them to re-apply the coating.

Remote locking wiring?? Is there a separate wire from the battery for this? Any pics??
Old 13th July 2018, 20:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The coating has a warranty period, suggest to show to 3M and ask them to re-apply the coating.

Remote locking wiring?? Is there a separate wire from the battery for this? Any pics??
The remote locking was added as an accessory a few months ago, not the OEM central locking which is dysfunctional since last year.

The remote locking wire has been fixed with insulation tape now, but the rat has also cut the brake fluid reservoir sensor wire. I shall try and take a pic of that.

It's now lighting up the brake symbol on the dashboard.

The problem with getting it reapplied under warranty is that I know it doesn't work, so I won't rely on it alone. I am thinking of getting the exposed wires covered in a sleeve so they aren't easy to chew for a rat. So a respray of the repellant may not convince me it has stopped the menace.

Last edited by honeybee : 13th July 2018 at 20:41.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks