Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 23:13   #76
BHPian

Re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)

3M Rat Repellent is not working. in my case, Rat damaged one cable after a month. It seems it really not effective. Now need to find alternate solution.
msiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 15:01   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think any brand of rat spray is 100% effective. Rats tend to frequent certain places and few get habituated to entering car engine bays and these sprays may not be effective against the most determined of rats. Also there are so many different species of rats out there. These repellents may be effective against some and inneffective against others. Even if they repel 8 out of 10 rats, your probability of a rat bite damage comes down and that is still good. Think of it like mosquito repellents. No brand is 100% effective.

I keep an eye out for signs of rat movement in our portico where we park our cars. On rare occasions I find rat poop and pee on the floor. I immediately get the entire floor area (not very large) washed with lizol or similar disinfectant soap solution. The soap solution has a very strong fragerance which kills the rat urine and poop smell and other general smells which the rat uses to navigate to come back to a particular place it likes. I have used rat sprays like this whenever I get paranoid and they have been generally effective. But mind you we have not had any major rat problem in the past 30 years or so of living here. I have seen rat footprints occasionally in the engine bay, but never has it chewed off any wires.

Our i10 incidentally is parked outside on the road and I do notice rat footprints sometimes in the engine bay. But they have not chewed any wires so far. Plenty of neighbors too park their cars on the road and I have not heard anyone complaining. Maybe the rats in our area don't bite

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th August 2018 at 15:05.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 06:19   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

For all the DIYers out there, the 3M Rat repellent is now available on Amazon.

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-amma-jaan.jpg

Word of caution: The engine bay turns extremely shiny after the application, and it's a nightmare for those who like the natural finish. It looks like one of those "lacquered" engine bays, and in sometime, the finish starts to crack and it looks horrible after that. It took me quite some effort to remove that shiny look.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 14:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Final verdict a month of monitoring after the 3M rat repellent treatment:
- 100 % satisfied as the coating stays and no signs of any damage---
Being satisfied with the 3M results, repeated the process as stipulated.

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-1.jpg

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20190105_105032.jpg

3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4)-img_20181228_122749.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 20:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Being satisfied with the 3M results, repeated the process as stipulated.
What time interval did you go for a repeat? IIRC as per 3M, coating once done would last for 6 month.
Old 14th January 2019, 20:34   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
What time interval did you go for a repeat? IIRC as per 3M, coating once done would last for 6 month.
Once in 6 months is right.
Old 31st July 2019, 23:10   #82
BHPian

Im happy with the 3M spray, and this season also used it - DIY done. Last year I got it done at 3M store for 1200 bucks (Canister MRP was 1500), later purchased only the can (not their services to apply) for 1200 bucks, and now same product available on Amazon for 500 which I bought !!

Myself applying the 3M spray:

Overall, the rat issue is quite complex one, and needs multi-fold approach. I also used the Tobacco leave & naphthalene ball combination, details HERE.

Also check the thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-rats-95.html

regards,

Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 31st July 2019 at 23:15.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:25   #83
BHPian

A nagging issue with my Honda City was going on for some time and Honda service center guys were on the third visit to rectify it. This time as soon as they opened the hood I found this guest moving around the engine bay. They suggested me to go for 3M rodent repellant. They also said I should avoid spraying it on the plastic parts as they will get shiny layer which when starts cracking looks very bad. Suggested me to spray it on rubber tubes and cable joints. I found this is being sold for 500 bucks on amazon. Going through this thread suggests it was more than double the price 2 years back. So not sure if this is genuine product on Amazon. Has anyone ordered it from Amazon and used it? What's the MRP on the can now?
Old 5th February 2020, 17:57   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Has anyone ordered it from Amazon and used it? What's the MRP on the can now?
I recently bought it from amazon and applied on my car. MRP on the can is ₹1500.
Old 5th February 2020, 19:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
I recently bought it from amazon and applied on my car. MRP on the can is ₹1500.
So you got it for 500 or 1500? I am not able to understand how the can with MRP 1500 is selling for 500. Raises questions over its originality.
Old 5th February 2020, 19:42   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
So you got it for 500 or 1500? I am not able to understand how the can with MRP 1500 is selling for 500. Raises questions over its originality.
For 500 as listed on amazon.
Old 9th February 2020, 21:37   #87
BHPian

Hi.
a year back I got that 3M Rodent Repellent Service at 3M Store - the spray can MRP was 1500, but the "Service" was done in 1100 as introductory offer.
Few weeks later, I did purchase only the can from another 3M store for 1100, store guy queried if I could properly do the spray properly, I said dont worry!
Later I did purchase the can from Amazon for 500 bucks (MRP was still 1500), sure its genuine - the catch being that you need to perform "service" yourself. See my above posted video.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 20:16   #88

I have recently bought a Brezza, and it is being parked in basement. The building is around 2-3 years old, and though I havent seen any rats, in my limited time in the parking, I am wondering if I should get a rodent repellant coating done proactively, after seeing the horror stories here. The title here indicates that the 3M coating does not work, while some have commented that it does have some benefit.

I talked to the 3M car care center, and they said if the rats are habitual to coming to your car, the 3M coating may not be able to repel them after all. So I am not sure what to make of it. I am hoping there is no downside to spraying the coating on a new car, so might as well just do it and see, before the rats, if any, develop the habit

This thread is from a few years back, so I have to ask, is there any better solution in the market now ? I tried searching, and there are a lot of suggestions in different threads, but could not find a reliable one.
Old 16th March 2024, 09:29   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1 View Post
I have recently bought a Brezza, and it is being parked in basement. The building is around 2-3 years old, and though I havent seen any rats, in my limited time in the parking, I am wondering if I should get a rodent repellant coating done proactively, after seeing the horror stories here. The title here indicates that the 3M coating does not work, while some have commented that it does have some benefit.

I talked to the 3M car care center, and they said if the rats are habitual to coming to your car, the 3M coating may not be able to repel them after all. So I am not sure what to make of it. I am hoping there is no downside to spraying the coating on a new car, so might as well just do it and see, before the rats, if any, develop the habit

This thread is from a few years back, so I have to ask, is there any better solution in the market now ? I tried searching, and there are a lot of suggestions in different threads, but could not find a reliable one.
WURTH rat repellant spray.
The best that I have used so far. Rest all either smelled really bad or made a mess.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 13:32   #90

I tried rat repellent sprays (including 3M), nothing worked. I could find the mouse happily residing inside my car's bonnet area and somewhere behind the dash.

It had chewed through the wiring of my recently installed LED Fog Lams.

Post on the fog lights is here:

I was turned down by several light fitment people/electricians? they simply refused to repair my lights. The rodent had chewed very close to the source of the controller unit of the LEDs.

Finally, decided to catch the mouse anyway i could. Used a highly rated mouse trap off of Amazon
"Black-Cat-Rat-Trap"

The mouse was caught within a few hours of the trap being set-up. The trap itself is very strong, you don't want your fingers getting in the way then it snaps.

This is a solution if you see a rodent who has made your car his residence.

Note: I understand this kills the rodent. I'm not happy about it. But, it got the job done.
Happyrev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed