Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 18:48   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop

The below post is more for the information and understanding of those interested in knowing further:

So the poor service and performance continue.

I seriously believe that BMW is not able to (not capable of) handle the Indian market and environmental conditions and in time as vehicles age and run more kms on it the Indian consumer will awaken to it.

Most people (I am generalizing) who buy cars in this segment do 10,000 kms a year. Not the rule but is something that is born out of the kms on vehicle up for resale. The typical customers would still use it for short journeys to the office or on weekends and use an Innova or the likes as the beater car.

Let's be clear that if the life of a BMW in India is just say 90,000kms and say 4 years then it will have (SHOULD HAVE) ZERO RESALE value at the end of it. But currently it does enjoy a decent resale value. This is misleading. A car sold for say 20-30L should behave like a car of that value. The customer thinks that he will be closer to the next suspension work, and that the body will have some dents and the headlights would be duller, the MFD screen scratched and the paint will have lost a bit of shine, some buttons may show wear and tear and may even need to be replaced at cost, the presumption is that the engine and gearbox and electronics would have a life of 10-15 yrs and 200,00kms and that the customer will have a dated model with older features soon and hence he is paying lesser. But that sadly does not seem to be the case, if unscheduled and lengthy visits to the service centre are regular practice that one must be prepared for.

If customers cannot be assured of reliability and fast service even while in warranty till 6 years and 200,000 kms they would just not buy Beamers.

I sent my vehicle for what I think might be the final service within the warranty period that ends in November.

I have driven the vehicle less than 1000 kms since the last time it spent ages at the service centre.

The EMAIL TO BMW, and Service centre is in quotes below:

"20-08-2018
For simplicity am listing all 9 works to be carried out on X3 MH04FF8973 together below:

1) Regular Service needs to be carried out. (Alignment and Rotation is NOT to be done as I would be getting the tyres replaced very soon after this service.)

2) Left high beam and Right beam do not seem to be pointing to the road. the Left one is pointing skywards and the right one too low. Noticed this on a long night drive recently the first time I dove it at night in the rains after a long time. I may be mistaken about the right beam , but for sure in high beam position the road is not being lit like earlier. The Left headlight was worked upon during last visit to service centre 2 mths back for not working at all at that point of time. There is a blind non lit spot right up in front centre during high beam usage.

3) The Right Driver side Door window winds down with a loud noise. Had complained about this during the last 2 visits and the sound reappears within 2 days of the car being delivered to me. This has been complained about multiple times in the last 1.5 years and the Left front winder was possibly replaced and the sound on that window stopped after that. Pls provide a lasting resolution that keeps the glass sound free for at least 6 months as the car would soon be out of warranty.

4) The Headlight water washer / sprinkler works intermittently. Generally does not work. This was complained about in the last visit to the service centre as well. It has been an issue since the time Rats at the service centre at the water tubing. Pls resolve with lasting impact. It was working when the car was delivered to me a month or so back but is again not working right now, same as last time.

5) The Hard Cover of panaromic sunroof rattles when car is driven with it open. (Glass closed).

6) Recently parking sensor is giving an alarm in the Display saying parking assist not working consult with service centre. This has happened 4 times in last 3 days and the frequency is increasing.. Generally happens when the car is parked such that it needs to be reversed out of the parking spot on being started. The alarm disappears in about 10 seconds. A snap of the same has been whatsapped to you.

7) Felt the engine was running rough. But this may just be my own perception and I may be mistaken so do check at your end, or it may be because it is close to service interval. There is a grinding sound that comes while the engine is idling. I believe a similar sound was removed when the car was sent for repairs last.

8) At times when the car is being driven the first couple of times that it stops under auto start stop system when it starts it moves ahead with a significant jerk rather than smoothly. These jerks stop happening when the car is driven for a longer trip. If one is stopped at traffic light the jerk is unnerving as it feel that the car would crash into the car in front. It may be related to charge level.

9) The Drivers seat moves behind with a snap when the car is accelerated after braking or over speedbumps. This is more noticeable when the seat is set at max height with max back distance with a heavy person like me sitting on it. (Like 130kgs.). The car has been sent to service for resolution of this issue 3 times earlier and the seat was even opened up and re-fixed once and the mounting screws (not the issue) tightened at another time. This has take up my and service time earlier as well. It is tricky to simulate, but was spotted by your drivers in earlier attempts, then disappeared for a short time and has now reappeared.

If these issues can be resolved via a pickup on say day 1 and the car being delivered on day 2 it is fine, if it would require a longer visit to the service centre pls provide a standby vehicle and pick up"

-- END OF EMAIL--

I would be the first one to agree that some of these issues are minor but the point is that they have not been resolved after the car spending say 10 days at the service centre for each of those minor issues.

I received a call from the Senior most service in charge at BMW Infinity motors and they asked to send the vehicle on Thursday23rd Aug. I presumed that they would arrange me a standby vehicle if the car needs to be kept back beyond 24th Aug. But Nope on 24th they have informed me that they would let me know about the standby vehicle on coming Monday - also implying the vehicle is not going to be anywhere close to being repaired by then.

The person in charge again called me later to state that they are trying to do the same by tomorrow 25th Aug. They do attempt to give good service, I'll not fault the effort but the process and time taken to service vehicles as mandated by BMW itself is not acceptable to me.

Having to get irate with the people in service leaves a sour taste in the mouth, they are also good people trying to do good work, it is only companies that can be faulted for not having the right process in place.

Typical Unreliable BMW.

EMAIL FROM BMW - Standard stuff:

"Dear Mr. Mehta,

Thank you for your email addressed to BMW India.

We regret to learn of the issues in your vehicle and extend our apologies for the inconvenience caused. The overall satisfaction of our customers with the product and services offered by our organization and dealers is of great importance to us. We regret that your experience has been contrary.

With reference to your email, we will investigate the matter in detail with your BMW Authorized Dealership - Infinity Cars, Mumbai and revert to you on precedence. Further, please be assured that at the time of delivery, your vehicle will be completely defect-free and up to series standards. We hereby request you to trust and give an opportunity to the dealer to address the matter as they are well experienced and competent in handling this matter and interested to maintain long term customer partnership with you.

We thank you for your patience and trust in your understanding. "

--END OF EMAIL--

EMAIL FROM INFINITY MOTORS:

"Dear Mr. Mehta,

This is further to your mail and our telecom had in the afternoon.

The appointment for your BMW has been booked for Thursday, the pickup of car is scheduled on August 23, 2018 morning.

As discussed, we shall look into the concerns raised by your good self once the car reports to the workshop and post the concerns addressed we shall guide you with the next step accordingly.

In the mean time we request your patience and understanding on the instance."

-- END OF EMAIL--

MY LATEST EMAIL TO ALL OF THEM:

"Hi! xyz, BMW, Infiinity Motors

I again feel let down by BMW service and product.

It was already known that the car was coming in with multiple issues and that it would take time post service. The list of issues was shared in advance along with a request to provide a standby vehicle in case the issues cannot be resolved rapidly.

You discussed with me that the car be picked up on Thursday morning. It was implied that if the car required anything more than an overnight stay a standby would be provided.

You would also recollect our conversation last month when exactly this issue was brought up and you had committed to providing a standby vehicle in such situations in the future provided the vehicle was sent in at via a prefixed appointment. "

--END OF EMAIL--

Everyone can draw their own conclusions about the above, basis how they wish to look at it.

Why did I not get rid of the BMW as yet? - I have my reasons and they are complex. Plus I hope to get BMW to do the right thing, and am giving them a chance for the same. In my heart I hope to not have to walk away from BMW as a brand as it sure does give driving pleasure when it works. Yet my family does look at me as a quake to have persevered so long with this vehicle.

Yep still have to sell of my lovely EcoSport (Customer search is on) and get myself a Superbike - trying to figure out what kind works best for me and am all over the place in my thoughts right now.

Last edited by ACM : 24th August 2018 at 19:02.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 21:23   #92
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Further update:

The car has overall maintained it's 25% time in service centre average. 6mths in 2 yrs.

BMW have maintained their slow resolution practice.

When I collected the car the last time. I had to take delivery with two new issues.

1) Front Right Headlight requires to be replaced as water was leaking into it and it was fogging up quite badly. They had the part then but not the approval for coverage under warranty so did not carry out the work and informed me only when I arrived to collect the car.

2) I noticed this issue just before collecting the vehicle. Wonder what basic check they do before delivery? The rear left tail light (portion on boot) had developed a known issue of the leds dimming down after some time of being switched on (a few minutes) and then finally switching off. World wide forums have this as a known fault. My piece evidently has a broken lock and I thankfully have proof that this issue was reported by me when the car was sold to me and evidently they then just stuck the part instead of replacing it as there is no record of them replacing it though they temporarily repaired it. I get a feeling they again have a similar plan and if they fail they may not have a replacement part ready nor have approval for the same.

Infinity motors has asked for 4 days at service centre to solve the 2 issues. I am insisting on a standby vehicle and they have not been able to arrange one in last 15 days.

In other news I sold the EcoSport and don't have a backup vehicle at my end as I am between cars.

Any one with suggestions on good BMW 3rd party service centres in Bombay or Thane pls feel free to post on this thread or share with me via PMs. It would be a great help as I exit the warranty next month end and speedy, better priced and responsive service would be important now.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-20180925_213506.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-20180925_213325.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 25th September 2018 at 21:40.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 17:02   #93
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Further Update:

The car left the warranty period on 22nd November 2018

It had to be submitted back to them for multiple works on 21st November 2018.

It completed 180+ days in the service centre in 2 years i.e. 6 months in 2 years of usage in which I drove it for 38,000 kms approx. (My yearly usage is 36,000 kms - so I had to do the rest in the other car.) I have even bought a standby bike since I recently sold the EcoSport.

Last time I gave it for service it was bang in between the Uber / OLA strike and I was stranded without a car, even to get back home.

It is still in the service centre, and we are haggling over items that would or would not be covered under BSI for the last time. Yes Infinity motors continues to be courteous to me and yet very very slow.

I have decided to take BMW to the courts and have approached a couple of lawyers, to handle the same since I don't wish to spend my time on the same.

I have a meeting with BMW arranged by Infinity motors on 14th December.

I would later post something major about CARBON CLEANING requirement for all diesel BMW's (especially in India) at every 25,000-30,000 kms that they do not tell us about. I got it done thanks to them by luck.

PS: My engine and gearbox is only 40,000 kms old. So this above comment is relevant to all BMW owners.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 17:42   #94
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Carbon in Engine at 40,000 kms

Posting this as a separate post though I could edit the previous one as it is a totally separate topic.

I am aware of the thread on Carbon Cleaning, but could not see any actual snaps of what happens to the engine that has not undergone carbon cleaning. Most advice seemed to be about either a flush or an additive.

So my vehicle was at the BMW service centre about a month or so back and the BMW guys (I am lucky I guess) picked up my car among about 5 randomly that were there in the service centre for carbon inspection.
  • As per the service centre guys any Diesel BMW would have significant carbon deposits given the condition of fuel in India.
  • I have not come across any Luxury car going in for carbon cleaning at say 30,000 kms or even at 60,000 kms.
  • Since mine had a new engine at 90,000kms the current engine and gearbox are only 40,000 kms and hence this is a good reflection of the condition of most new cars in less than 2-3 years of running.
  • It was covered in BSI. I was randomly selected. I feel every one should get this done in BSI every 30,000 kms.
  • BMW claims their expensive fuel additive helps in reducing this. I frankly used a lot of it and this was the condition.
  • The FE is improved by about 10%.
  • It breathes better. (Keener to accelerate.)

Negatives:
  1. I have had to give the car back again in less than a month due to glow plug issue and also for replacing the Air Filter casing. These defects happened I feel due to components being removed and refitted. Basically touching anything that is working part is always a worry.
  2. It is a 3-4 day effort. They are slow.

Snaps are self explanatory. But how many Diesel Luxury car owners with kms between 30,000 - 60,000 in India in Warranty have had the company advise them and then get this done.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0014.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0013.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0012.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0011.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0010.jpg  

BMW X3 (F25) at 130,000 km - Spends 25% of its time in the workshop-img20181026wa0009.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 24th November 2018 at 17:49.
ACM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

I sent my vehicle for what I think might be the final service within the warranty period that ends in November.
We saw some issues on a car we are evaluating which is a 2.0 litre x3 and in BSI. The seller claims it would be all fixed but he hasnt taken the trouble to fix it under his BSI package which will soon end by August 19.
Since you had a BSI package ending in Nov 18, wanted to understand your experience with BMW to fix all issues you had raised while BSI package was active. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th June 2019 at 15:57. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2019, 16:03   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooomph View Post
We saw some issues on a car we are evaluating which is a 2.0 litre x3 and in BSI. The seller claims it would be all fixed but he hasnt taken the trouble to fix it under his BSI package which will soon end by August 19.
Since you had a BSI package ending in Nov 18, wanted to understand your experience with BMW to fix all issues you had raised while BSI package was active. Thanks in advance!
BSI covers maintenance, check if he has Extended warranty (BRI) in which case, BMW should cover the defects you have observed unless there is no external tempering. It will be a good idea to get the car repaired by the seller before you make full payment.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th June 2019 at 16:08.
Old 24th June 2019, 12:25   #97
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooomph View Post

BMW did in general solve most issues, but it was a big headache as they took too long to diagnose and solve. I finally bought by own scanner and got things done outside as well to get things done faster. Today all issues are solved but no thanks to BMW or their Service Centre. They followed procedure, I guess but were very slow.

The Car has not spent more than a day in the service centre since the time it came out of warranty and has had no issues either (touch wood).

My suggestion is that you ask the seller to get the works done and agree to buying the vehicle only after the work is done.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:29   #98
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
BMW did in general solve most issues, but it was a big headache as they took too long to diagnose and solve. I finally bought by own scanner and got things done outside as well to get things done faster. Today all issues are solved but no thanks to BMW or their Service Centre. They followed procedure, I guess but were very slow.

The Car has not spent more than a day in the service centre since the time it came out of warranty and has had no issues either (touch wood).

My suggestion is that you ask the seller to get the works done and agree to buying the vehicle only after the work is done.
Hello, which scanner did you buy? A link would be really helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by kdp : 24th December 2020 at 00:31.
Old 13th January 2021, 15:06   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Recall message

Earlier EGR Inspection message from 2 yrs back is now a Replace.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Greetings from Infinity Cars.

Vehicle No : MH04FF8973 Vin No : WBAWY57050LN71002

According to our records, you are the owner of the above BMW vehicle.

During the ongoing quality analyses at BMW, it was determined that the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler of your engine may develop leaks over the service life of the vehicle. The escaping coolant could create flammable deposits combined with the soot and oil deposits in the exhaust-gas recirculation cooler. This may lead to localised scorching on the intake system or to a vehicle fire.

We would like to ensure that your vehicle is in perfect working order. The exhaust-gas recirculation cooler in your vehicle should therefore be checked and, if necessary, replaced with an optimized variant.

Please arrange an appointment with your nearest BMW service center. They will tell you how long your vehicle needs to stay in the workshop.

It goes without saying that this work will be free of charge.

If you have sold the above vehicle, we request you to pass on this letter to the new owner as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your co-operation.

Regards,

--

Infinity Cars Private Ltd

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks