Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam's 4 year old Lancer gets spoiled for it's Birthday!!

So, what happens when a brand marketing guy, pampers his beloved Lancer? Lol he makes that into an event!!

As most of you know, from my BHP garage, I have a nice Red Lancer that looks great and I keep it clean, to the best of my abilities. I bought it 4 years ago from the showroom and changed the wheels and tyres in 2 hours of buying the car and have tried to keep it looking the same way for 4 years. I have driven close to 28000 kms in 4 years.This forum has made me understand cars and engines and the collective enthusiasm you share when it comes to these (seemingly) silly things.

I am guilty of engine neglect. Even though I keep my car spanking clean and it looks great, I have not serviced the car for almost 10000 kms now. Yes, please wipe away those horrified looks, I am guilty of running my beloved lancer on mineral oil for 10000kms. In my defense, the car is super smooth and I didn’t realize. Sorry.
My head started spinning when I read the Team-BHP advice on Synthetic vs Mineral and realized, maybe I should do something for my beloved car. So here it is, a thread on how I am going to spoil my beautiful car rotten. Heh Heh.

What I want to add is, I am not looking for a way to make my car go faster, neither do I want to buy air filters that cost 50,000/- bucks. I have not bought any performance parts, just the best replacement parts that money can buy. No upgrades. I am not a person that would buy iridium plugs or Sports Air filters, though I did contemplate it for the worst 5 minutes of my life

My girlfriends brother has a garage and I have prepared a list for him to do, for the 2 day spa treatment my car’s gonna get. I am posting it here, because I am getting all charged and excited and I can only imagine YOU engine obsessed guys, I guess you will find it super-interesting.

I am off to Bangalore on Wednesday (24th) morning and that’s the day he will pick up the car and keep it with him and complete my (to be ticked in sequence) list. The list has been prepared using some internet research, good advice from my trusted team-bhpians and the lancer handbook. I will return from Blr on Monday (29th) and will post on my (layman’s) perception on how much the engine handling has changed after my proposed car-spa. I’ve just returned from the motor parts shop and have bought all the stuff I need for my Lancer.
And so here we go….

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd January 2007 at 20:04.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:08   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Will surely be interesting to see whats being done to this really well maintained lancer .. And sam give me a buzz on 9845068181 once u are here .. Its time we meet up ..
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mr Layman ,we will be all ears and eyes on this thread .
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Clean out the crap!!

I intend to flush the radiator using some recommended flush, made in the USA called prestone. Instructions are on the bottle itself. Apparently one must pour it into the radiator, run the car for 10 mins, drain, fill with fresh water, run for 5 mins and drain again.
After the radiator is flushed, 2 litres of TVS concentrated coolant will be mixed with 3 litres of water and the radiator will be refilled. Of course pressurized air will be used to clean up the fins also.

Since I intend to make the switch to Synthetic oil (recommended by the people I trust on the forum), I am following the recommendation to flush the engine first. I have purchased a can of Abro Motor Flush (also made in the USA) and we will follow the recommended method (written on the can) - pour it into the engine when cold, run for 3 minutes and flush out with the old oil.

Here is a picture of the flushing stuff. I have never used the word FLUSH so many times in my life.

Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Good luck on your car-spa Sam. Keep us updated with a nice story sequence of how it all happens. And ofcourse give us some nice ads like the VLCC "before and after" pictures.
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good good. Just in time for Speed Run!!!
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

lol, the car will look the same, before and after the spa. My planned car-spa is more like an enema.

Your face looks the same after they do it, but your insides perform much better.

Edit: Speed run???? Are you mad????? My car's never done more than (in GTO's words) 5000 rpm in it's life!! Speed run bah!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd January 2007 at 20:17.
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Sam cool. should be good pointers for me as I'm planning on rejuvenating my baby as well.

You coming to blore for the AV expo?
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Out with the old, In with the new!

Have procured a new Air Filter Element that Mitsubishi recommends. A company called Osaka, the element is made in Japan. I know everyone here likes to put K & bloody N, I found it too expensive and was then told that this is indeed a very good replacement air filter.
Have also purchased 4 company spec spark plugs, from NGK, another japanese company.
Have purchased the (supposedly, I dunno) best oil filter made in India, called Purolator.
Have also purchased a mitsubishi original Petrol Filter.
My windshield wiper washer thingy was not working that well, so have purchased a new little pump from PSP.

I have never used the word purchased so often in a post before. Whew, this car spa is proving to be expensive.

Le Picture:

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd January 2007 at 20:27.
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

whats wrong here!

GTO visits ICE side and Sam visits the engine-wengine side!
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Sam, cost for the NGK and the osaka air filter pls. if possible. Also can you take a pic of the air filter from inside pleeeeeeeeeez.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Every Spa needs Liquids

So let's get the liquids in place:

Engine Oil:
Frankly I didn't know anything about this. A testimony to this is that I ran the car on Indian Oil Servo brand Mineral oil.
After reading the thread on Engine Oil, I decided to use semi Synthetic Castrol magnatec oil. it was just a little more expensive than regular oil.

However friends who know more about cars that I do, recommended I get fully synthetic. Not knowing enough and not wanting to argue with these people who's expertise lie in these areas, i ventured into the synthetic world.
it seems castrols synthetic oil is suspect, with castrol making statements like "It begins life as a mineral oil and later on, chemically reacts to become a synthetic oil"

Therefore I was convinced to buy the extremely popular Mobil 1. Getting Mobil was a tough task though. it seems to me that this is an oil not well marketed in India. After waiting for a whole day, i Have finally managed to procure 4X1 litre cans of Mobil 1 5W50 oil. When I have received the bill, I have actually burst into the choicest of expletives for you people. This is unimaginably expensive and you people are going to be the cause of my ruination and bankruptcy.

Over the next few days I do not recommend any of you ask me for ICE advice, or you will be paying for this stupidly expensive engine oil.

According to my handbook, my lancer needs 3.3litres of engine oil, so I have 700 ml of synthetic oil, going cheap if someone wants to use it.
I wonder if this oil can be put to other uses..... I hope he empties the can properly and doesnt leave drops inside. This blooming thing is precious.

Moving on - have bought 2 litres of TVS girling concentrated radiator coolant. Intend to mix it with 3 litres of water and fill up the radiator, after the flushing is over.

Have also decided to drain the gear oil. Bought 3 litres of ELF gear oil. Am afraid that now my gear box will make bad jokes at me while I drive. (If you haven't got that, nevermind)

Topped it up with half a litre of DOT4 grade TVS-girling brake fluid and I think we're ready for the liquid treatment.

Le Picture of les liquids.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd January 2007 at 21:03.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sam, cost for the NGK and the osaka air filter pls. if possible. Also can you take a pic of the air filter from inside pleeeeeeeeeez.
The Osaka Air Filter costs 200. The NGK plugs are a 100 rupees each I think.
Here is a picture of the inside as requested.

Chalo Now I'm off to see KBC, bye for now.

Maybe I should take part in the show so I can keep buying bloody Mobil 1.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd January 2007 at 21:12.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Have also decided to drain the gear oil. Bought 3 litres of ELF gear oil. Am afraid that now my gear box will make bad jokes at me while I drive. (If you haven't got that, nevermind)
hahahaaaa...that a nice one...going to wait and watch to see what he has to say.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Typically after an enema, the system needs to be cooled off before reuse. Trust that's been taken into consideration. And 24th you said?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks