Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2005, 11:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

4 wheelers : Don't do hard braking when there are two wheelers behind you, you will stop due to powerful brakes, but the two wheeler behind you most likely will not.

2 wheelers :
a) Keep more distance from car in front. Keep even more distance if it is a truck or heavy earth mover. They have real powerful brakes.
b) Be a responsible individual and fix mudflap for your bike. Try to stay out of line from bike in front to avoid spray painting mud on your clothes.
c) Check for oil spill on the road.
d) take extra precaution on concrete roads. Drive slow and avoid sharp cornering.
e) Don't forget to wear helmet.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2005, 14:23   #17
BHPian

an observation.. still under experiment stage tho'...

For cars without rear defoggers.. use the A/c with the ventilator on the half-leg and half-face option... been trying it for the past few days.. seems to work.... but as i said.. still in experiment stage...

cheers
Old 24th June 2005, 14:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid
an observation.. still under experiment stage tho'...

For cars without rear defoggers.. use the A/c with the ventilator on the half-leg and half-face option... been trying it for the past few days.. seems to work.... but as i said.. still in experiment stage...

cheers
I didn't quite get what you are trying to say here. If the knob is between the 'half-leg+half-face' setting, does that push more air towards the rear windshield? I don't see how that can happen ... ??
Old 25th June 2005, 11:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey N_C,

Why do you say that? I mean its not like the monsoons put much of a load on the AC as compared to the other times of year? (however i just got a full AC service done yesterday
rehaan ,

just a precautionery check before the monsoons. we use the a/c full time during the summer - so mite be the gas is less or the cooling is down. i know its better with these modern tech cars now but i still do it , just as a precaution !

and yeah keeping the area under the dash clean helps - thats where the air is sucked in by the a/c , so if there is no dust or dirt the colling is better , right ?

cheers
Old 1st June 2006, 10:58   #20
BHPian

Monsoon driving

Hi, I had my first experience of driving in the rain in Mumbai. As I am a new stick shift driver, would like pointers from experienced drivers as far as the do's and don'ts go. What is the best gear to drive through water, what tyres provide best grip? etc. I drive a fiat petra 1.6ELPX.
Old 1st June 2006, 11:10   #21
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Rain Stories!

Are we Ready for a repeat of 26th July!!
Yesterday was the 1st day of rain and I saw many roads flooded,the water almost entering in a zen.
If you are not interested in reading my experience then there is a list of some tips,have a look at it ,it may help you!

Heres what happened yesterday to me!
I had to travel from Bandra to Andheri.
At about 3:30pm I leave my house,my ikon comes from the basement.
We all sit in it ,as soon as the driver starts the wiper they go for a round and come back,at the start of the second round they get stuck to each other and then I hear a "screeching" noise,I felt as if my heart was being scratched by a knife,i quickly ask the driver to shut them off! (they were working fine before that)
I check to see if everything is ok,but the heavy rain make difficult to feel if there was a scratch on the windshield or not.
It was as if my Ikon is saying me that " I am not going to move in this kind of weather!

Next we replace the ikon with our zen,it was working fine had serviced it a day before only,the wipers work fine.
Now we are on our way ,we travel through many pot holes and many flooded lanes.
As we reach linking road,my Zen says, enough I am not going to move now and shuts down.
My dad says lets go to home and then it suddenly starts,we go to our grandfathers home.

Now the rain is slow and almost stop,we replace the Zen with a Corolla,it works fine we reach Andheri in about an hour.
On my way I saw many huge trees fallen,more than 30 rickshaws struggling to start.

So, are my cars trying to say that we wont move in this kind of weather??
(My Ikon was stuck on Goregaon Highway on 26th July and my zen was in a garage..)

Also I feel we can have a repeat of 26th July because if something like this happens on the 1st day,what will it be when it rains continoulsy and during high tides???
Guys lets get prepared for it from now.

Here are some tips from a driver who doesnt drive,which I think will help during this season.
TIPS:-
1.Get your car checked,make sure your all your lights, wiper,engine and all mechanical parts are working.

2.Check for loose end of wires,as they can lead to a short circuit.

3.Always keep your windows slightly open when travelling in a flooded area,if you get stuck you can shout for help or even force the window down.

4.Keep a hammer or anything that can help to break the glass in case of emergency.But I think it may be of less use if you have some kind of film on the glass.

5.Dont use AC when travelling in flooded area also if possible keep the vent closed.

6.Keep some water,flashlights and food with you,you may not need it but others will.

7.Keep a 1st Aid box in you dash board all cars have one in the trunk.

8.Stop listening to your CDs instead listen to Radios, they will play some songs and provide you with useful information.

9.Use your dim lights,also if needed use your fog lamps(not this huge hella types,but the oem ones)

10.Incase you cant see the road under you, drive near the road divider,mostly the road doesnt have man holes there.

11.If possible help others,by giving them lift,food,water,etc...

12.Keep a mobile phone charger in your car,helps when you get stuck for a day.

13.If you leave your car on road,please park it so that rescue team can travel through the road.Most people park them in middle of the road.

14.If the water level is rising leave your car (dont worry it will be back in shape if you are alive) and take shelter in a building or somewhere at a height.

15.If you are somewhere and its raining heavy stay there till the rain stops or move out when it time for low tide.

16.People parking their cars in basement keep in mind that during high tide and heavy rain your drainage in the basement will act opposite,and fill it with dirt,get you cars out of there as soon as possible,if once that gets inside your car,it will smell like s*%! for days.

17.When in a flooded area keep your cars in low gear and dont stop revving (you can sacrifice you fuel efficiency for a day), if once the car stops it will be very diffiicult to start it.

18.Bike riders I dont know how to ride one but always travel behind some car and if possible keep looking at it wheels to know where are the potholes and yes dont stop revving!!

19.I dont know this is right or not,but changing the direction of your exhaust in such a way that water doesnt go in it may help.

20.If you think we will face another 26th July lets gather some money buy some Hummer,get some boats on top and lets start a Rescue Team!!!

Guys I may be wrong somewhere,but this is what Ihave learnt from others and my experiences!!
Lets pray to GOD that we dont have to see another 26th July!!!

Last edited by SRK : 1st June 2006 at 11:21.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2006, 11:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
Are we Ready for a repeat of 26th July!!
Yesterday was the 1st day of rain and I saw many roads flooded,the water almost entering in a zen.
If you are not interested in reading my experience then there is a list of some tips,have a look at it ,it may help you!

Heres what happened yesterday to me!
I had to travel from Bandra to Andheri.
At about 3:30pm I leave my house,my ikon comes from the basement.
We all sit in it ,as soon as the driver starts the wiper they go for a round and come back,at the start of the second round they get stuck to each other and then I hear a "screeching" noise,I felt as if my heart was being scratched by a knife,i quickly ask the driver to shut them off! (they were working fine before that)
I check to see if everything is ok,but the heavy rain make difficult to feel if there was a scratch on the windshield or not.
It was as if my Ikon is saying me that " I am not going to move in this kind of weather!

Next we replace the ikon with our zen,it was working fine had serviced it a day before only,the wipers work fine.
Now we are on our way ,we travel through many pot holes and many flooded lanes.
As we reach linking road,my Zen says, enough I am not going to move now and shuts down.
My dad says lets go to home and then it suddenly starts,we go to our grandfathers home.

Now the rain is slow and almost stop,we replace the Zen with a Corolla,it works fine we reach Andheri in about an hour.
On my way I saw many huge trees fallen,more than 30 rickshaws struggling to start.

So, are my cars trying to say that we wont move in this kind of weather??
(My Ikon was stuck on Goregaon Highway on 26th July and my zen was in a garage..)

Also I feel we can have a repeat of 26th July because if something like this happens on the 1st day,what will it be when it rains continoulsy and during high tides???
Guys lets get prepared for it from now.

Here are some tips from a driver who doesnt drive,which I think will help during this season.
TIPS:-
1.Get your car checked,make sure your all your lights, wiper,engine and all mechanical parts are working.

2.Check for loose end of wires,as they can lead to a short circuit.

3.Always keep your windows slightly open when travelling in a flooded area,if you get stuck you can shout for help or even force the window down.

4.Keep a hammer or anything that can help to break the glass in case of emergency.But I think it may be of less use if you have some kind of film on the glass.

5.Dont use AC when travelling in flooded area also if possible keep the vent closed.

6.Keep some water,flashlights and food with you,you may not need it but others will.

7.Keep a 1st Aid box in you dash board all cars have one in the trunk.

8.Stop listening to your CDs instead listen to Radios, they will play some songs and provide you with useful information.

9.Use your dim lights,also if needed use your fog lamps(not this huge hella types,but the oem ones)

10.Incase you cant see the road under you, drive near the road divider,mostly the road doesnt have man holes there.

11.If possible help others,by giving them lift,food,water,etc...

12.Keep a mobile phone charger in your car,helps when you get stuck for a day.

13.If you leave your car on road,please park it so that rescue team can travel through the road.Most people park them in middle of the road.

14.If the water level is rising leave your car (dont worry it will be back in shape if you are alive) and take shelter in a building or somewhere at a height.

15.If you are somewhere and its raining heavy stay there till the rain stops or move out when it time for low tide.

16.People parking their cars in basement keep in mind that during high tide and heavy rain your drainage in the basement will act opposite,and fill it with dirt,get you cars out of there as soon as possible,if once that gets inside your car,it will smell like s*%! for days.

17.When in a flooded area keep your cars in low gear and dont stop revving (you can sacrifice you fuel efficiency for a day), if once the car stops it will be very diffiicult to start it.

18.Bike riders I dont know how to ride one but always travel behind some car and if possible keep looking at it wheels to know where are the potholes and yes dont stop revving!!

19.I dont know this is right or not,but changing the direction of your exhaust in such a way that water doesnt go in it may help.

20.If you think we will face another 26th July lets gather some money buy some Hummer,get some boats on top and lets start a Rescue Team!!!

Guys I may be wrong somewhere,but this is what Ihave learnt from others and my experiences!!
Lets pray to GOD that we dont have to see another 26th July!!!

Hi SRK

I read ur experiences, sorry you had to go thru all that. I was lucky, I drove from Mahape to Kharghar through the Taloja highway and except for some water as I neared Kharghar, it was pretty OK. Only thing was I couldn't see the roads very well when there was traffic in the opposite lane. Also because of some construction going on, the two way lane becomes one for some parts and that is not fun. Anyway I drove in the 3rd gear at 40 and was extremely cautious. When it starts pouring I ahve decided to halt and not go, cause the wipers are useless at that point.:-)
Feel I should take the bus during monsoon, but then again you'll never know when you will reach home if you depend on the bus
Old 1st June 2006, 13:28   #23
BHPian

Hey SRK great tips.. yesterday i had the bad luck of having to drive from andheri east to bandra west at 6 in the evening as expected it took me 2 hrs to reach which was not that bad considering the heavy downpour. (heres a tip for all drives, whenever you see a clear stretch of road do not speed > 60.) so as i hit the bandra reclamation stretch i started to pick up speed when out of no where i drove staright into a blind puddle must have been about 5 inches of water, but with the speed the impact actually moved my car of the driving line and i was driving quite close to the divider so that was quite scary and the car i was driving was my lancer. oh i also stoped to help a guy get his scorpio of a road divider hmmm.
Old 1st June 2006, 14:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

Threads merged.

Please do a search before creating a new thread

cya
R
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:43   #25
BHPian

Good Tips SRK...! However just two points where It quite difficult..Firstly " .Always keep your windows slightly open when travelling in a flooded area,if you get stuck you can shout for help or even force the window down." Well it has been my past expierence that whenever I keep the window slightly open there are always some Crazy Drivers who Vroom their Innova's/Sumo's/Scorpio's/Safari's/Imported SUV at such High speeds, sending a tidal wave of slush on my Lancer..twice in a friends Zen..!

Secondly- About two wheel bikers following to keep clear of Pot-holes..They rather not follow to close..I have seen one such accident that their was this Zen driving and suddenly it drops in a open Man hole and a Pulsar Bhai following close din't stop in time..ramming into zen and ended up cracking his wrist..! Two wheelers rather not move in such condtions or are better at some distance of..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 2nd June 2006 at 15:44.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:07   #26
BANNED

I think one of the most important things to do is chart out your routes in advance and stick to familiar roads.

Try and be as aware of the state of the road as you can, so when it gets waterlogged, you have a rough idea of where the ditches and bad patches are. Avoid taking roads that you are unfamiliar with because you won't know what's under the water.
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
........... 20.If you think we will face another 26th July lets gather some money buy some Hummer,get some boats on top and lets start a Rescue Team!!!
By far the best thing i heard all day !!

Here are some tips:

1. Brake early and as smoothly as possible. Your car might have good brakes but done expect the moron behind to stop that fast especially in rains.

2. Use your running lights during the day.. even if it is not raining heavily. Have you seen how quickly the windscreen can fog up sometimes? might not happen to your car.. but if someone following has his screen fogged, he might not see your car. Lights can help to a certain extent.

Better yet.. get a chopper!
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:31   #28
BHPian

Thanks a lot.. Will try to follow few tips..
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:51   #29
BHPian

Here's one from me too, this is the most important one - > Floor it whenever you can, doesn't matter if its wet or you're on a turn or both, always have your pedal to the metal. Rain's are also the best time to practice drifting, plus you don't specifically take time off for drifting practice, do it on your way to work, pull out your house/building and start-off immediately with the ebrake on the very first corner you hit...try other drifting techniques straight outa tsuchiya's drift bible as you progress...make full use of this season "team" mates it'll last just a few months....

alright do I need to say that I'm really serious about what I've written here
anyway enough of crap, follow all the rules our "team" mates have put above and you'll be safe.
Old 3rd June 2006, 04:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

If the car tends to loose control while moving over water filled roads (so called aquaplanning) then to react, as far as possible....
-don't apply brake
-don't steer, keep it straight
-don't accelerate, slowly reduce the gas

to avoid it...
-don't travel through water pools too fast
-make sure that there is enough tread left on tyres
-maintain proper tyre pressue

otherwise you may loose the control completely!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks