Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

good points.
I agree to you with the point on ABS. It needs more distance to stop, and gives you driveability.

Better to stick to 30 to 40kmph, where you can handle eventualities.

Sudden braking will confuse the rear vehicle driver and possibilities of a collision is also high.

Is the post in the right section?
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:10   #167
Senior - BHPian

Hi some of my experience

1. Pre mansoon check up is a must, Wipers, breaklights, hazard warning, breaks, quality of tyres, horn etc.
2. replace the regular mats with rubber mats. ensure that mud flaps are in place.
3. Driving slow, maintaining sufficient distance from other vehicles. Not engaging in fast and intimate driving.
4. Promptly give way to people who are paid 10000$ per hour so that their precious minutes are not wasted.
5. Watch out for 2 wheel drivers who are paid 50000$ per hour so that their precious seconds are not wasted and they do not skid and hit your car.
6. Drive in a lane, do not cut lanes causing others to skid
7. avoid driving when it is raining heavy and has poor visibility
8. keep an umbrella (bigger the better) handy within the vehicel along with a plastic envelop to store the dripping water.
9. be courteous of other while driving through the pool of water on the road. some one may be attending an job interview in next 30 minuetes, splashing of water will make him/her miss the interview and possibly the job.
10. watch out for vehicles with damaged tail laps, do not follow them during rain.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:16   #168
Senior - BHPian

The level of concentration required to drive in the rains is more than triple than on a dry road. Most importantly, you need to know the potential and abilities of your car and how it handles. You also need to be in sync with in while on the road. Feel the grip on the tyres, feel the cornering grip, feel the brake bite, feel the acceleration, feel the road, etc. All this has to happen at the same time simultaneously.

If you lose concentration on any of these factors while you are faced with an emergency manouvre due to an obstacle or bad roads then you are looking at a potential accident scenario.

Additionally, avoid braking on a turn, accelerate gently out of a turn. Drive on gear using engine braking mostly. Be gentle on the brakes.
Avoid being distracted by music, chatting and horseplaying inside the car while driving. All these acts reduce driving concentration.
Do not talk on the fone. Avoid eating and drinking while driving. Be attentive.

Most importantly, to be on the safer side, drive within 70% of the vehicles potential wet condition abilities and 70% of your own best driving potential.

Lastly, keep an eye out for errant motorists, pedestrians and other potential dangerous scenarios.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd May 2009 at 13:20.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:24   #169
BHPian

how many owners ( irrespective of 2 wheelers or 3 or 4 wheelers) actually take the trouble of doing a pre-monsoon check. Its a must do before the monsoons set in irrespective of where you live in India. The educated lot also do not do it religiously.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:06   #170
BHPian

The answer to my question is in the forum some where. I searched and searched, but no avail. Hence, asking the same question.

While driving yesterday night in the rain, whenever the windscreen wiper was used, it left a slight misty residue on the glass. This was outside and not inside. I had the AC on and thought that the outside part of the windscreen is misting up because it was cool inside the car. I tried turning off the AC and different other combinations, but nothing worked. It was real tough to drive because headlight of other vehicles were becoming a glare.

I also tried the washer, put it didnt help. I've a mix of windscreen shampoo and water in the wahser. So, where lies the problem:

1. Is it my windscreen wiper? (Its old, close to 8-9months. I'll be changing it tomorrow to check.)
2. Is it some sort of oil/grease thats on the glass?

Hope some one can give me a solution.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:26   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
The answer to my question is in the forum some where. I searched and searched, but no avail. Hence, asking the same question.

While driving yesterday night in the rain, whenever the windscreen wiper was used, it left a slight misty residue on the glass. This was outside and not inside. I had the AC on and thought that the outside part of the windscreen is misting up because it was cool inside the car. I tried turning off the AC and different other combinations, but nothing worked. It was real tough to drive because headlight of other vehicles were becoming a glare.

I also tried the washer, put it didnt help. I've a mix of windscreen shampoo and water in the wahser. So, where lies the problem:

1. Is it my windscreen wiper? (Its old, close to 8-9months. I'll be changing it tomorrow to check.)

Unni instead of turning off your AC,just turn on the heater if available.might solve your problem
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:00   #172
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While driving yesterday night in the rain, whenever the windscreen wiper was used, it left a slight misty residue on the glass. This was outside and not inside.
unni,

Bangalore had torrential rains last evening. I was stuck in it too. The mist on spraying the washer fluid on your windscreen is because, the water comes from a tank inside the bonnet and is warm due to the heat of the engine. When you spray this water on the winshield, the temperature difference is what causes the mist formation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:05   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Try bosch wipers. They are IMHO the best you can buy.

I clean my windscreen using colin/ brisk/ Mr muscle.
Always keep a bottle in the car.
And then use a microfibre cloth to dry the screen.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While driving yesterday night in the rain, whenever the windscreen wiper was used, it left a slight misty residue on the glass.
Clean your windshield using tobacco and see the difference while driving, the water won't stand and you get a very clear view.

This is how the truck and other tourist vehicle drivers do to have a good look at the roads.

Last edited by gowda79 : 22nd May 2009 at 16:15.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:15   #175
Senior - BHPian

@unni-I think i have seen this question asked before also.I had made my point there too,dont mind doing it again,lolz.It could be 2 things happening in your case.First can be some kind of oily substance on the glass preventing the entire water to be wiped off due to the old wiper.Go to a service centre and ask the guys to clean the glass before changing the wiper.There could be deposits of tar from the road comming off the tyres of on going trucks etc being stuck to your glass.This can hamper your wiper blades too.So after doing this if the problem persist then you can try out the following.
Before continuing i would like to say that many friends and customers had come to me before saying the same complaint.I did a study on this phenomenon on many cars and had come to this conclusion.If the above is not the issue then it should be definetly the following.
normally FOG which we see on the wind shield is water vapour condensing on the cool glass.Water vapour is normally comming from or own body(if its inside the car)or from the Wetted hot roads(if its outside)So generally when it rains we would be rolling up the windows and A/C switched on.The FOG formed inside is due to the water vapour from our body getting stuck to the cold wind shield.This is a natural tendency for the water vapour to condense on cold surfaces.The same happens to the outside also.To avoid that we circulate the outside air inside the car,so that the humidity is the same and the temp is also almost same.If this is done then we can avoid this issue to a great extend.Most of us dont circulate the outside air and so these issues prop up.I have explained the science behind this and now use it accordingly.i hope this is of use to all,

ram
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:21   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
Unni instead of turning off your AC,just turn on the heater if available.might solve your problem
Thanks Binoy. Even though I didn't try the heater, I did try switching off the AC and rolling down the windows, so that the temperature inside and outside matches. It still was of no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
unni,
The mist on spraying the washer fluid on your windscreen is because, the water comes from a tank inside the bonnet and is warm due to the heat of the engine. When you spray this water on the winshield, the temperature difference is what causes the mist formation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks gpa. Logical explanation. But, the mist like formation was not only during usage of the washer spray. When ever the wiper was used, on the return, it left a mist-like covering on the glass. It disappears itself in a few seconds if I dont use the wiper again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Try bosch wipers. They are IMHO the best you can buy.

I clean my windscreen using colin/ brisk/ Mr muscle.
Always keep a bottle in the car.
And then use a microfibre cloth to dry the screen.
Thanks bblost. Neat idea, I think i too need to buy one of those windscreen cleaners. But what is this microfibre cloth??

Edit: Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Clean your windshield using tobacco and see the difference while driving, the water won't stand and you get a very clear view. This is how the truck and other tourist vehicle drivers do to have a good look at the roads.
Thanks Gowda. But, I seem to've read some where that its bad for plastic parts and rubber beading. Not sure, just hear-say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
@unni-I think i have seen this question asked before also.I had made my point there too,dont mind doing it again,lolz.It could be 2 things happening in your case.First can be some kind of oily substance on the glass preventing the entire water to be wiped off due to the old wiper.Go to a service centre and ask the guys to clean the glass before changing the wiper..............temp is also almost same.If this is done then we can avoid this issue to a great extend.Most of us dont circulate the outside air and so these issues prop up.I have explained the science behind this and now use it accordingly.i hope this is of use to all,

ram
Thanks Ram, for repeating the advice, among other things. To clean the glass, would you suggest one of the normal glass cleaning solutions like Colin etc?

WRT to recirculation of air, that was one thing I tried yesterday. I also tried keeping the selector knob to windscreen-only mode and other modes also.

OT: An year or more back I've seen your Verna at Hercules, Alleppey.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2009 at 16:51. Reason: Merged on request. No problem at all - thanks for using the Report Post button.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:37   #177
Team-BHP Support

This is expensive:
3M US: Scotch-Brite Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
about 30 bucks for a 10 cm by 15 cm piece.

I have picked up cheaper stuff in Metro Cash and Carry store at 25 Rs for 2 large pieces.
Not as thick as 3M but otherwise decent quality.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:44   #178
Senior - BHPian

@unni-Cleaning the glass can be done with any glass cleaner but give it to a A.S.S.they have to change the wiper so let them do the cleaning job too.
OT-oh is it Why dint you pop in,now you might see a black swift ZXi there.verna is at home.
ram
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:35   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This is expensive:
3M US: Scotch-Brite Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
about 30 bucks for a 10 cm by 15 cm piece.

I have picked up cheaper stuff in Metro Cash and Carry store at 25 Rs for 2 large pieces.
Not as thick as 3M but otherwise decent quality.
Is it 30 bucks now? I had paid 70 bucks for the same thing couple of years back. But it is very effective though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Clean your windshield using tobacco and see the difference while driving, the water won't stand and you get a very clear view.
Even i use tobacco to clean the windshield and have found it to be effective. It cleans off all the greasy stuff on the surface of the windshield.
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:37   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

This reminds me, i need to change the blades of my car too. Thankfully, they hung together during my drive back from Mahabaleshwar.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks