Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Help! My car's headliner fabric is coming off

Dear All,

The headliner fabric in my Skoda Yeti 4x2 has started peeling off the roof insulation! No idea what prompted this to happen. Any pointers to good and reliable guys in Mumbai who can fix this. Am devastated!

Regds
Siju
soul-on-4wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Help! My car's headliner fabric is coming off

Is this a common issue with Yeti?

Similar one from Coimbatore, hope you find a reliable source at your location.
https://www.facebook.com/10864325388...9655666447020/

Help! My car's headliner fabric is coming off-1.jpg

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 23rd October 2020 at 18:15.
Mr.Boss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:16   #3
BHPian

My yeti also has of late had this issue.

Please share the solution if any. I talked to skoda service advisor who quoted an obnoxious amount for getting the roof lining replaced. I am scouting for solutions from the local market. Will update you if and when I find.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th October 2020 at 11:56. Reason: Typo.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:26   #4
BHPian

This has a simple fix, the existing headlining needs to be removed completely, the old cloth material needs to be peeled off. The gum residue has to be scraped off thoroughly and fresh material has to be refixed with new adhesive.

What you need is a competent liner who can remove and refit all parts back carefully.

Approximate cost would range between 13,000 to 15,000 for a roof lining without sunroof. With sunroof adds more complexity and would be northwards of 20,000.

Do note availability of the matching exact shade may be a concern.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:45   #5
BHPian

I had the same problem with my Skoda Laura, due to age the gum started loosing its holding capacity and you can't just stick the same fabric back,

The entire roof fabric and gum needs to be replaced. I got mine done for 5k, the guy came home and did the same. PM me if you want his number, I'll look for it. Else you can ask some car fabric guys around your area , if your car has a sunroof the price is significantly higher.
Y@SH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help! My car's headliner fabric is coming off

It's an issue with many VW-Skoda cars and hence, a problem with the adhesive or processes used by their factory. My brother's 2012 VW Jetta had the exact same problem and we did exactly what nirmaljusdoit mentioned. I don't remember the specific amount, but it was approximately 10,000 bucks to set right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
PM me if you want his number, I'll look for it.
Please share here . A PM will help 1 person, a public post will help thousands .
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 16:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Our hot weather is responsible for this issue, especially in Euro spec cars.

My bro faced the same issue in his 2006 Passat sometime in 2014.

The headliner issue has also been seen in some BMWs; I saw the same issue in a 2009 X3 sometime in 2017.

Another common complaint in Euro spec cars is the sticky door liners, and, a sticky dashboard in some 2006-08 Camrys.

10k is the ruling rate for the headliner job, while the 5k quoted by @Y@SH 's guy is a very competitive price.

Last edited by vigsom : 25th October 2020 at 16:07.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Even I have the same issue in my Civic Hybrid. I think it happened around the 10 year mark.

I have let it remain the way it is since the car is hardly used and it is not causing any issues as such. It's already been around 2 years since this happened.

Last edited by sv97 : 25th October 2020 at 16:23.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Dear All,

The headliner fabric in my Skoda Yeti 4x2 has started peeling off the roof insulation! No idea what prompted this to happen. Any pointers to good and reliable guys in Mumbai who can fix this. Am devastated!

Regds
Siju
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Please share here . A PM will help 1 person, a public post will help thousands .
Sorry for the delay, I had to ask someone to check the cash voucher for his number, Also it was not 5,000 I paid him just Rs 4500 back in October.

His Name & Number; Nasir Khan 9619945771

He won't know me by name or anything but you can tell him about the skoda he worked on Nr Jay Coach, Jogeshwari. He came to my office and did the job in 5hours and you couldn't say that the headliner was ever replaced.

Hope This helps! Do let me know!
Y@SH is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 16:19   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He won't know me by name or anything but you can tell him about the skoda he worked on Nr Jay Coach, Jogeshwari. He came to my office and did the job in 5hours and you couldn't say that the headliner was ever replaced.

This couldn't have come at a better time. My Jetta's headliner is sagging like anything.

Could you please clarify the following-

1. What was the car exactly? Which Skoda?

2. Was the original headliner glued again or was a new material used? If new material was used, how good or bad is its relative quality compared to OEM Also, is there any smell of gum in the car? Have heard of such instances.

3. Can there be any issues with side airbag deployment after such a fix? Answering this may not be very easy but would like to know your opinion and the opinion of the guy who did the job if he gave any.

4. It'd be great if you can post some pictures of the work which has been done.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 16:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
This couldn't have come at a better time. My Jetta's headliner is sagging like anything.

Could you please clarify the following-

1. What was the car exactly? Which Skoda?

2. Was the original headliner glued again or was a new material used? If new material was used, how good or bad is its relative quality compared to OEM Also, is there any smell of gum in the car? Have heard of such instances.

3. Can there be any issues with side airbag deployment after such a fix? Answering this may not be very easy but would like to know your opinion and the opinion of the guy who did the job if he gave any.

4. It'd be great if you can post some pictures of the work which has been done.

Skoda Laura Base variant didn't have any side airbags nor did it have sunroof hence the price was lower. The complete roof was taken out, then old headliner ripped off, and the old glue that was stuck to the base was taken off by hand.
The job was OEM, he will show you a couple of samples of cloth, you choose what you like and price depends on quality. He recommended me a sample which matched to the roof of the car. The glue smell faded off in a couple of days.
Sorry dont have any pictures as I sold the car just a couple of months later.

By side airbag, I presume you mean curtain airbags, I dont think that should be a problem since the curtain airbag module is usually on the on B pillar of a car.

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th October 2020 at 16:43.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:33   #12
BHPian

Thanks a ton,Yash! This is very helpful! Will reach out to him.
Old 27th October 2020, 05:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, I had to ask someone to check the cash voucher for his number, Also it was not 5,000 I paid him just Rs 4500 back in October.

So, I have reached out to Nasir and he is quoting Rs. 6500 for the Yeti. He will come home in a couple of days with the fabric samples. He will execute the task at my parking at home. Keep you all posted. Thanks again, Yash!
soul-on-4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
My yeti also has of late had this issue.

Please share the solution if any. I talked to skoda service advisor who quoted an obnoxious amount for getting the roof lining replaced. I am scouting for solutions from the local market. Will update you if and when I find.
I also got my Laura's headliner changed last year in Delhi. Here is my thread on where it was done and the process.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...tor-delhi.html (Roof headliner repair - Infinity Motor (Delhi))
This is a good place for all Delhi NCR people.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:54   #15
BHPian

When we got our pre-owned 2008 Fabia 1.4TDI, the roof was properly saggy and loose, and was being held only by the corner tucks and a few contact patches here and there. I initially thought its a leaky sunroof, but my Skoda expert friend/SA told me its normal at this age of car if parked in sunlight. Also after checking thoroughly, the sun roof was found leak free. I was on a quest to get my Fabia back to its former glory, so I decided to get the roof liner done entirely.

I had heard really good reviews about New Motor Hood on JM Road, Pune. So i called him and to my surprise he gave me an appointment for 4 days later, 10 am. Knowing that quality manual work takes time, I agreed immediately.

I reached 20 min before time anticipating parking issues, but i was pleasantly surprised to find a parking spot reserved for me outside the workshop. I was asked to choose between 3-4 different textures and shades of roof liner fabric, I chose the one closest to stock as it matched different panels and trims in the interior. Also the sunroof blind was beige, and a black roof liner would not look like something Skoda would do.

On choosing the fabric, work started immediately and at a quick pace. There were 4-5 guys working on the car at one time, and they carefully went through the entire process. Not once did I find anyone fooling around/ playing/ fiddling in the entire time i was there.

I came to collect my car the same evening, and when i reached the car was actually done, waiting for me to pick it up. The work done was so good, it looked like a brand new OE roof. There were bubbles in 1-2 places, and they were immediately cleared when pointed out. I thanked the owner and appreciated him for managing the work quality so well. No wonder he's so famous!

Its been almost 2 years since the roof job, and it still holds together like the day i got it done. You can get the contact details and address on Google Maps. I have no affiliation with them yet recommend them if you're in Pune.
satya180 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks