Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 19:15   #46
BHPian

Re: My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild

Well, considering the advice you guys are giving me I guess I will try to rebuild this engine and sell the car off instead of swapping the engine like which I thought before. In fact, I had taken all the records before purchasing this vehicle. Everything was correct except for the last service which was done by the dealer from which I brought the car. Anyway, I guess my time is bad. Whatever happened has happened. It has always my dream to own a 6 cylinder coming from a Bmw520d before this. Never thought it will end like this.

Anyway, the garage which I gave is confident that they can rebuild the engine without any hassle and they do have some 90% of parts needed already. What they are telling us that there is no need to replace the engine as they are confident of successfully rebuilding the engine and even can give me a warranty of 6 months after that. So what I am thinking now is to going ahead with it and before the end of 6 months sell off the car. But then still waiting for the price list from them for the parts and the labor cost to complete the job. Will take it from there once I get that. Probably by tomorrow I may get that.
lancer_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 19:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I guess my time is bad.

the garage which I gave is confident ...they do have some 90% of parts already....But then still waiting for the price list from them for the parts and the labor cost to complete the job.
Why will someone keep stocks of engine parts of a 6 cylinder BMW Diesel engine in India? I can understand about Oil or Air filter but you are talking about 90% of the parts. Add to it, your Garage has spare parts but not the price lists!

Either you are not telling everything transparently or someone is taking you for a royal ride

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th December 2020 at 19:49.
Turbanator is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, the garage which I gave is confident that they can rebuild the engine without any hassle and they do have some 90% of parts needed already. What they are telling us that there is no need to replace the engine as they are confident of successfully rebuilding the engine and even can give me a warranty of 6 months after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Why will someone keep stocks of engine parts of a 6 cylinder BMW Diesel engine in India? I can understand about Oil or Air filter but you are talking about 90% of the parts. Add to it, your Garage has spare parts but not the price lists!

Either you are not telling everything transparently or someone is taking you for a royal ride
Agree with Turbanator.

And what kind of warranty is this? This is just a verbal assurance and nothing more. If you have problems post rebuild, do you think such garages will give you parts and service free of cost? They will not honour this unless and until the problem is very minor costing peanuts of money and their time.

If the problem is not minor, they are going to blame it all on the original damages.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapadia View Post
But what raises my eyebrows is that he said it is CRACKED. I am sorry but a cracked crankshaft can never be used. To my knowledge it would need a replacement. It is the strongest part of the engine. The crank works under tremendous pressure and that’s what transfers all the power/torque of the turbo charged straight 6 to the flywheel.
Agree entirely with KKapadia. Firstly, cracking of a car crankshaft, especially that from a renowned manufacturer like BMW, is extremely rare. Secondly, a cracked crankshaft can't be repaired and has to be replaced.

I have a feeling that your mechanic is trying to take you for a ride. Please get a second opinion about your crankshaft 'crack'.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:47   #50
BHPian

I'm already taking second opinions. And About the parts what I meant is he has arranged from different places just for rebuilding my engine( he hasn't received it, just told those are available. They don't keep stocks of this I know.
My Bad because I did not mention it properly. As I told I am in a confused state. so please bear with me.
About the warranty I know it's a namesake. Just mentioned what he told me.
And it's a known garage, so trust they won't take me for a ride.
And the crankshaft new only I'm getting (OEM) as it's the major part of the engine, the rest of the parts 'used' is what they are sourcing.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 10th December 2020 at 21:12.
lancer_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:15   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm already taking second opinions. And About the parts what I meant is he has arranged from different places just for rebuilding my engine( he hasn't received it, just told those are available. They don't keep stocks of this I know. My Bad because I did not mention it properly. As I told I am in a confused state. so please bear with me. About the warranty I know it's a namesake. Just mentioned what he told me.
A complex diesel engine like this one, from a nearly decade old car, will NOT have readily accessible parts. They're taking you for a ride. Warranty my left foot!

Quote:
And it's a known garage, so trust they won't take me for a ride. And the crankshaft new only I'm getting (OEM) as it's the major part of the engine, the rest of the parts 'used' is what they are sourcing.
Used parts? That's a new one. Used parts in this 6 cyl. BMW engine is like playing Russian roulette. Bro, you're getting screwed over already!! What exactly are you planning? Rebuilding the old engine? Or, replacing with a motor from a scrapped vehicle? Your posts are contradictory.

Seriously, have you ever bothered to contact BMW or their dealers for a professional assessment?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2020 at 16:24. Reason: Smileys! :)
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 17:27   #52
BHPian

I guess some pictures will do the talking here

My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild-crankold4.jpeg

My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild-crankold3.jpeg

My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild-retro6.jpeg

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 11th December 2020 at 17:28.
lancer_maniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 18:00   #53
BHPian

Is there anyone in Delhi to help me source some parts?
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 18:12   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The Big end does look worn out from the pic.

Where exactly is the crack on the crankshaft? Could not identify from the pics

Just a note- removing material from crankshaft to address any deformity will result in the weight balance going out of spec and result in excessive vibration and self destruction of engine. If the crankshaft is damaged , replace it. They bear enormous stress and load. Not a good idea to take a chance because if the repair does not hold up you are looking at another engine rebuild

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 11th December 2020 at 18:17.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Well, considering the advice you guys are giving me I guess I will try to rebuild this engine and sell the car off instead of swapping the engine like which I thought before. In fact, I had taken all the records before purchasing this vehicle. Everything was correct except for the last service which was done by the dealer from which I brought the car. Anyway, I guess my time is bad.
Dost, this is the friendliest and most non-judgemental space on the internet. May I request you to re-read the advice you have got on this thread. People are suggesting for either a swap or selling it on an as is basis. Rebuilding is a really bad idea. Cut your losses.

And think of all your ongoing frustration and negative energy. When you sell this rebuilt (likely badly done) car to someone, imagine what you are passing on? What bad karma? Don’t do it brother. Please.
Spaced Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there anyone in Delhi to help me source some parts?
Check your private message, I am sending you contact number of a guy who might be able to source parts or a used engine.

Hope your car is back in action soon
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 23:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the crankshaft new only I'm getting (OEM) as it's the major part of the engine, the rest of the parts 'used' is what they are sourcing.
I am a big risk taker on almost everything in life but I am stunned at the amount of things that are at stake here, what is used parts in an engine rebuild bro?

1.Timing kit full set
2.Engine Packing full set
3.connecting road assy
4.Turbo hose LH & RH
5. Head gasket
6.stem seal
7.piston rings suspected
8.crank shaft bearing set
9.connecting rod bearing set
10.Full oil seal
11.rocker arm full set
12.tapet full set
13.head bolts full set
14.engine mounting
15.gear box mounting
16.valve cover packing
17.oil cooler packing
18.engine bond
19.oil filter
20.engine oil

This is the list that you had posted which is told to you by the garage guy. Are you saying except the crank shaft, the timing kit is going to be used along with piston rings, rocket arm, tappet set and connecting rods(There will be 6 of them) ? If Yes, the car will not probably last anything more than a month or two at max with an even bigger can of worms being opened.

Rest of the items can't be 2nd hand anyway from the list
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 04:18   #58
BHPian

Quote:
So now I'm on the lookout for a good condition 530d Engine all over. Came across some 520d engines for a fair price but the 530d's used engines I was quoted almost the double price of the 520d's maybe because of the availability as there are not many of 530d's sold in India compared to 520d's. Still, I had got a couple of engines, one in Delhi and one here in Kerala which I mentioned in my previous post.
:
Hi Lance! Sorry to hear about your experience. What was the price of the 520d engines you got? I’m planning to buy a 2015/16/17 520d in Delhi and would like to have an idea of costs in case or worst possible screw ups!
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 14:45   #59
BHPian

Well, My bad, it not 'used 'parts it was 'non-Oem' new parts only.

But considering the advice I got from some senior Bhpians here I am thinking of going for an engine swap or sell the vehicle as it is like many here told. Though I don't know how we can calculate the Resale-price for a vehicle whose engine has gone kaput.

And is there anyone here who can help me source a good condition engine? , preferably from the south side as I am based out of Kerala. Here I have come across many used 520d engines for sale, but just two 530d engines that too from people who I cant trust completely and not from my city. I know it's going to be a huge task for me a find a 530d engine from here compared to other parts of India, that too one which is in good condition and reliable.

Plan B of selling the vehicle is also in my mind But don't who will buy such cars for a reasonable price.

Also, what are the things I should be aware of or keep in mind if I go for the Engine Swap?

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 12th December 2020 at 14:57.
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 17:27   #60
OSH
BHPian

Stupid question; have you spoken with your insurance company to see if engine damage is covered under your policy ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks