Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 17:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Stupid question; have you spoken with your insurance company to see if engine damage is covered under your policy ?
Insurance covers engine damage from an accident. A failure or breakdown due to defective or worn out components is not covered by insurance.
Old 12th December 2020, 18:39   #62
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Insurance covers engine damage from an accident.
Over the years, there have been loads of additions in the type of covers that insurance companies offer. The 'only in case of an accident' kind of cover is not the sole type. It obviously depends on what kind of policy and covers the owner has bought.

I don't know a lot about how such things are taken up by the insurance companies but a call may solve the OP's problem and hence the question.

Quote:
A failure or breakdown due to defective or worn out components is not covered by insurance.
Some insurance companies even provide RSA cover nowadays and atleast I have not read any terms in my policy saying that the RSA will not be provided if there is no accident.

There are covers for even just the key's replacement and the key is not always going to get spoilt/lost only when the car has met with an accident.

Last edited by OSH : 12th December 2020 at 18:45.
Old 12th December 2020, 19:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Stupid question; have you spoken with your insurance company to see if engine damage is covered under your policy ?
I am not sure buddy, in fact, I had my car inspected by the ASS first. After they checked they told me the whole engine has to be changed as they do not rebuild any Engines. And the cost they quoted me was 15 lakhs for the new engine. So haven't discussed the Insurance. I don't think the insurance will cover this. If it was, the service advisor would have surely told me about that then only. But all they said after inspecting the engine is to get a new engine.

When I asked what was the reason for the sudden failure they told me these particular engine's (530d /F10 series) has Engine failure's very common with the oil not pumping correctly (including my case), and they also told me there were a couple of 530d's with them with Engine failure's similar to mine. But then I don't buy that as I have seen many 530'ds (F10 series only) of my friends which has done 2 lakhs without any Engine failures and that was a point when I took the vehicle from there and gave it to a local workshop which was recommended by one of my friend who overhauled his A6 from there and was happy with their work.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 12th December 2020 at 19:05.
lancer_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Well, My bad, it not 'used 'parts it was 'non-Oem' new parts only.

But considering the advice I got from some senior Bhpians here I am thinking of going for an engine swap or sell the vehicle as it is like many here told. Though I don't know how we can calculate the Resale-price for a vehicle whose engine has gone kaput.

And is there anyone here who can help me source a good condition engine? , preferably from the south side as I am based out of Kerala. Here I have come across many used 520d engines for sale, but just two 530d engines that too from people who I cant trust completely and not from my city. I know it's going to be a huge task for me a find a 530d engine from here compared to other parts of India, that too one which is in good condition and reliable.

Plan B of selling the vehicle is also in my mind But don't who will buy such cars for a reasonable price.

Also, what are the things I should be aware of or keep in mind if I go for the Engine Swap?
Selling as it is will fetch you peanuts, it may sound harsh, but that's the reality.
Swap with a used engine or rebuild the current one, only then think of Plan B.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 21:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I have got an offer from a used car showroom here in Kerala to exchange my 2011 520d which has run Run 78k km (3rd owner) with a 2012 530d M Sport (Single owner)
Its a very clean car which has run 80k but in mint condition.
You ignored T-BHP advice while exchanging your reliable 520d with an unknown 530d with >1L on the clock. Once again, you seem to be ignoring the consistent advice here to cut your losses and move on.

Resale value with a replaced / rebuilt engine will be peanuts, and the ownership with either of these options is likely to be riddled with issues as well.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. But it's really best to sell it off to someone who'll be able to salvage the car for parts. Stop wasting your time and money into this project that will never end.

Quote:
Well, My bad, it not 'used 'parts it was 'non-Oem' new parts only.
There's no such thing as non-OEM engine components like Crankshafts (except for high performance racing applications).
Do you really think someone has the time and the skill to make 3rd party parts like these?

Last edited by d3mon : 12th December 2020 at 21:30.
d3mon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 21:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Selling as it is will fetch you peanuts, it may sound harsh, but that's the reality.
Swap with a used engine or rebuild the current one, only then think of Plan B.
That what exactly what I am doing first. As I told I did come around some couple of used bmw530d engines. But then what I need is someone who is who can advice me on the condition of the engines.As i told the BMW ASS people here is not that good.Had some couple of bad experiences with them with my previous 520d. So cant rely on them.Is there anybody from Kerala who can help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
You ignored T-BHP advice while exchanging your reliable 520d with an unknown 530d with >1L on the clock. Once again, you seem to be ignoring the consistent advice here to cut your losses and move on.

Resale value with a replaced/rebuilt engine will be peanuts, and the ownership with either of these options is likely to be riddled with issues as well.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. But it's really best to sell it off to someone who'll be able to salvage the car for parts. Stop wasting your time and money on this project that will never end.

There's no such thing as non-OEM engine components like Crankshafts (except for high-performance racing applications).
Do you really think someone has the time and the skill to make 3rd party parts like these?
Yes, I agree with your point. But then as you said selling it off is there in my mind as plan B. But the majority of the people here are suggesting me to go for plan A which is swapping the engine.

Last edited by ajmat : 13th December 2020 at 19:23.
Old 13th December 2020, 19:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Resale value with a replaced / rebuilt engine will be peanuts, and the ownership with either of these options is likely to be riddled with issues as well.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. But it's really best to sell it off to someone who'll be able to salvage the car for parts. Stop wasting your time and money into this project that will never end.

There's no such thing as non-OEM engine components like Crankshafts (except for high performance racing applications).
Well, I do agree that I ignored TBHP's advice to an extent that not to go for more than 1 lakh driven cars especially European ones. But I only jumped into this as it was a known dealer, with which talks are going on(who said will bear half of the cost) if I go for an Engine Swap

Moreover, I had inspected the vehicle from the Cochin BMW ASS( EVM Motors) before confirming the deal.
After they gave me a green flag only I went ahead.
As per them, 1 lakh is not an issue and high mileage cars are better than a low mileage car which is not used as these cars are meant to be driven frequently. Might be wrong Information but then as that was told from the BMW ASS I believed them.

In fact, I was thinking of an upgrade to the G30 after a year or so as per the suggestion of many TBPians.but then I changed my mind for the following reasons.
1. One being the history was checked completely from the ASS
2. Another being I was offered a good price for the 520d

Even after I told him, I'm not selling it, He was behind me for around 1 month and was keeping on offering me a better price day by day, and finally, I sold it because I was offered a good price much more than the market value and more than the price for which I brought the Car that too for a 2011 model with 3 owners and clocked around 80k.
(The reason I got the best offer was that the buyer only buys Black color he has around 6 cars in his garage which is all black and it is hard to find a black color 520d's (which worked in my favor I guess.)

In fact, after selling my 520d for a good price only my hunt for an A6 or and 530d began.
That was when I was informed by a friend of mine that one Msport is available so went ahead and got it checked from the ASS before confirming the deal.

Even now I'm in talks with both the BMW guys who told me there is no major work after inspecting and told me I can go ahead with the deal. (Though I don't think there is much of use talking to them, still I will give it a try)

But then the dealer who I know personally to whom I informed about the engine failure, told me he will bear half of the cost involved in sourcing a good donor engine.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 13th December 2020 at 19:39.
lancer_maniac is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I do agree that I ignored TBHP's advice to an extent that not to go for more than 1 lakh driven cars especially European ones. But I only jumped into this as it was a known dealer, with which talks are going on(who said will bear half of the cost) if I go for an Engine Swap
I would say, it was a matter of luck, that you ended up with lemon with a clean history, it's a machine and parts can fail unexpectedly.
A hundred thousand kms usually is nothing for these cars. I hope it all ends well for you. Keep us posted.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 20:48   #69
BHPian

Yes, To be frank, I was on the verge of selling the car as per the advice given here by some members here.

But then I contacted some senior members here in TBHP, for a second opinion and they told me there is NO need to sell it and what I should do is to get a good 530d engine,(which is a brainer decision according to them) and swap it and I will be good to go and enjoy the car. Also, the resale won't be affected much like somebody here advised that resale will be zero if I go for an engine swap. That not completely correct. According to some other senior BHP'ans here who is guiding me on this told if it's a working good condition engine at the time of selling I will get almost the same value as other cars or maybe the same.

Anyways appreciate how some senior members here are guiding me with the correct information and are also helping me to find a good donor engine.
Thanks to them and hope everything goes as planned.
lancer_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 20:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the resale won't be affected much like somebody here advised that resale will be zero if I go for an engine swap. That not completely correct. According to some other senior BHP'ans here who is guiding me on this told if it's a working good condition engine at the time of selling I will get almost the same value as other cars or maybe the same.
Ask yourself: With the deluge of 530d s available in the market, would you yourself go near a 530d with a replaced engine? If not, why would you expect someone else to play the fool and pay almost the same value as any other car?

Sure, if you got a new engine from BMW, someone may buy that argument. But with an engine replacement/rebuild done at a 3rd party garage - it's wishful thinking.
d3mon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 20:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, To be frank, I was on the verge of selling the car as per the advice given here by some members here.

But then I contacted some senior members here in TBHP, for a second opinion and they told me there is NO need to sell it and what I should do is to get a good 530d engine,(which is a brainer decision according to them) and swap it and I will be good to go and enjoy the car.
Good decision I would say and I agree with what akshay4587 has mentioned.
Get that engine fixed and you are good to go. I know it is lot complex and requires time and money but that's the best option I guess(my personal opinion).
Please keep the thread updated and let us know the development.

I was in similar situation during my college days with Karizma.
jeygani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:40   #72
BHPian

Have confirmed on a donor engine from Mumbai. A totalled 530d, but the engine is running as it is not yet removed from the car. It has just done 45 lakhs (Odometer also still intact). The damage was from the back and hence the engine and the front part has not been taken any Hit. Also Confirmed the mileage is genuine with the ASS.

The dealer(who told will bear half the cost) has placed the order yesterday. So probably the engine will reach cochin within a week. The vehicle wast flat bedded from the current garage to the garage there which is known to the dealer.

After the engine arrives, the garage guys told me at least 2 to 3 days is needed to fix the engine. So totally it might take 2 weeks at least sometimes more due to the holidays coming in between. I have also made sure that the garage who is going to fix the engine is very reputable and technically sound compared to other local garages here before handing over the vehicle to them. Anyways Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope everything will go as planned and I will be able to enjoy the car post the engine swap at least for a year.
lancer_maniac is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have confirmed on a donor engine from Mumbai. A totalled 530d, but the engine is running as it is not yet removed from the car. It has just done 45 lakhs (Odometer also still intact). The damage was from the back and hence the engine and the front part has not been taken any Hit. Also Confirmed the mileage is genuine with the ASS.
45 lakhs is a typo, it must be 45,000 km I guess.

Best wishes for a successful engine replacement and happy drives post that. And if the swap goes well, you shall be able to enjoy the car for a longer time, not just one year.

The incoming engine will already have an engine number and it won't be the engine number on your RC book. How do you plan to resolve this issue?

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 23rd December 2020 at 19:45.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 21:14   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
45 lakhs is a typo, it must be 45,000 km I guess.

Best wishes for a successful engine replacement and happy drives post that. And if the swap goes well, you shall be able to enjoy the car for a longer time, not just one year.

The incoming engine will already have an engine number and it won't be the engine number on your RC book. How do you plan to resolve this issue?
You are right, my bad it was a typo error. 45k is what I meant.

And the Engine no difference I was told by some senior BHP'ans here that it doesn't matter and nobody is going to judge it as far as the engine is running properly.
But still, My Mechanic told me if I want he can change the engine no of the donor engine to the same no of my old engine which is mentioned in the RC. I am not fully aware of how it can be done though.
But then that's the last thing on the mind, First, let the Engine come and is installed properly so that I can enjoy using the car for 1 year or 2 years as u told me. I keep upgrading my cars every 2 to 3 years.

And if anybody needs any parts of 530d (F10) let me know, The car from which my engine is being removed has other parts like digital cluster, grills, and all for sale. As I told the frontal part, up to the driver's side is not damaged.
lancer_maniac is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:43   #75
BHPian

Quote:
But still, My Mechanic told me if I want he can change the engine no of the donor engine to the same no of my old engine which is mentioned in the RC. I am not fully aware of how it can be done though.

But then that's the last thing on the mind, First, let the Engine come and is installed properly so that I can enjoy using the car for 1 year or 2 years as u told me. I keep upgrading my cars every 2 to 3 years.
Changing engine number on an engine is fraudulent & illegal. Hope you are aware of this.

And if you drive around with a changed engine (different engine no.) without updating your RC, your insurance coverage will be null & void. Which is again illegal.

Once it gets working, you should immediately inform the RTO and insurance co to update the records. No reason not to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks