Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 19:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Changing engine number on an engine is fraudulent & illegal. Hope you are aware of this.

And if you drive around with a changed engine (different engine no.) without updating your RC, your insurance coverage will be null & void. Which is again illegal.

Once it gets working, you should immediately inform the RTO and insurance co to update the records. No reason not to.
It will be a problem either way. If he drives around with an engine bearing a no. different from the one on RC, it's fraud. If his mechanic blow-torches sl.no. off the donor engine and chisels in new number which is on RC, it would be even bigger fraud which a keen eye can easily pick out. And, insurance companies go through a car with a fine-toothed comb, looking for any signs of tampering that can make the claim void. Not only claim will be denied, he will find himself on the wrong side of the law.

Best would be to report engine transplant to RTO with a request to update in RC. But, I am not sure RTO would allow implant of an old engine picked off a wrecked car. These days RTO doesn't allow slightest of alterations to car. Even tyre upgrade is termed illegal. Then not sure how they may allow an engine transplant and that too a used one.
Old 18th January 2021, 20:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Best would be to report engine transplant to RTO with a request to update in RC. But, I am not sure RTO would allow implant of an old engine picked off a wrecked car. These days RTO doesn't allow slightest of alterations to car. Even tyre upgrade is termed illegal. Then not sure how they may allow an engine transplant and that too a used one.
I was suggesting endorsing the engine no change in the RC as well. After your post, I read up a little bit and you're right that endorsing a used engine without any proper invoice from the manufacturer may be hard given the documentation required from the RTO.

So at the end of the day, if the RTO refuses to update the RC, the car will be stuck in a legal limbo.
Old 10th February 2021, 20:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
First, let the Engine come and is installed properly so that I can enjoy using the car for 1 year or 2 years as u told me. I keep upgrading my cars every 2 to 3 years.
How is the engine swap going lancermaniac?
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:29   #79
BHPian

Hi, Guys sorry for the late reply. Changed my decision about going for the donor engine because of many reasons and went for the engine rebuilt.

I have driven around 200 km after the work and till now I have not faced any niggles with the engine. It's Running smoothly as ever before. The work was done under the supervision of a BMW service advisor (who I know personally) but from an outside garage who has experience of rebuilding engines.

So Far so good.

One thing I got to know from the BMW advisor is that there are numerous cases of 530d engine failing especially high mileage ones like mine and on the other hand the 520d doesn't usually come up with engine failures. I was also shown from their yard the examples of the no of BMW 530d engines failing after 1 year and some 520d models running fine even after 1 lakhs km. (personally inspected the ones he showed me)

Anyways as of now, the engine is running smoothly and I'm happy with the work and keeping my fingers crossed so that any future niggles regarding the engine rebuild will not come. I was assured by the same BMW advisor that he has helped some of his 530d customers with the engine rebuild which he referred to the same garage who did my work and All of them are happy and has been driving long after the rebuilt without any issues. I hope the same goes for me too. Planning on keeping this for 1 more year and then going for an upgrade.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 23rd April 2021 at 17:32.
lancer_maniac is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:39   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been following your thread from the beginning. Hearty congratulations, you dodged a bullet. Working with BMW expert guidance in a pvt garage is a great idea! All the best!
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:17   #81
BHPian

Good to know everything worked out well. How much did it finally cost you?
Old 25th April 2021, 10:18   #82
BHPian

Congratulations!

Pamper your car a little more and give it the new car smell.

You essentially have a new powertrain, barring the gearbox of course.

DONT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY, your gearbox is NOT sealed for life.

Get your AT fluid replaced. It will save you major headaches. You've had enough trouble with the engine as it is.

Keep in contact with this BMW expert and keep checking things every now and then.

The engine might be new but many modules and electronics will have aged.
Enjoy man
Old 25th April 2021, 11:32   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing I got to know from the BMW advisor is that there are numerous cases of 530d engine failing especially high mileage ones like mine and on the other hand the 520d doesn't usually come up with engine failures. I was also shown from their yard the examples of the no of BMW 530d engines failing after 1 year and some 520d models running fine even after 1 lakhs km. (personally inspected the ones he showed me)
In percentage terms, perhaps Yes but in absolute terms, 4 cylinders are sold with a large factor over 6 cylinders. A common issue with 6 cylinder engines is the delay in the oil change, both Km or time vice as per my local SA. These have a tendency to consume some oil and the service period must be adhered strictly.

That's a strong reason, when going pre-owned, avoid multiple owner cars or via car traders. Many people, find 15-25 K as a large expense and simply skip the timely service
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 14:01   #84
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven around 200 km after the work and till now I have not faced any niggles with the engine. It's Running smoothly as ever before. The work was done under the supervision of a BMW service advisor (who I know personally) but from an outside garage who has experience of rebuilding engines.
That is good news , been following this thread. Expecting trouble free engine and you get to enjoy the ride. Happy miles!

Hope you don't mind sharing cost involved and time for the rebuild.
Quote:
numerous cases of 530d engine failing
This is concerning, did he share the root cause for high failures and any solution to prevent such failures.
Old 26th April 2021, 14:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am a little surprised at the extent of work needed. A basic Maruti with a K series engine runs for a hundred thousand and there is basic maintenance and then it can clock a hundred thousand again. You don't spend a bomb. You take an expensive German car and it's life is compared to a race horse. Once past 8 or 10 years, it's mechanically dead needing deep pockets to maintain. The spares are costly, they don't last a lifetime, they fail regularly and are needed to tow to the nearest ASS, then what is special about the German cars? Ride comfort is not something I would like to trade for all the headaches I have to bear during the ownership of such cars. I think an expensive Toyota or a Korean should be a right bargain for people looking to spend big bucks on these Germans.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 14:40   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
mb. You take an expensive German car and it's life is compared to a race horse. Once past 8 or 10 years, it's mechanically dead needing deep pockets to maintain.
Looks Cars are like animals too, the stronger the heartbeats (engine revs) the lower the life is

I have kept none beyond 40-50 K so cannot comment on the longevity but; I have seen some examples of over a Lac Km running fine. It's a fact that these cars need better maintenance and if someone skimps, chances are these machines will suffer.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 15:24   #87
BHPian

Read the whole thread and rather late to the game. Two points to ask you

1. Since you went down the path of engine rebuild, did you do a compression test?

2. You have driven 200 km after a new engine oil and oil filter change. I suggest you flush out the oil and change the filter again. There is always a chance of gunk and small metal particles staying inside the engine after the rebuild, so engine oil flush will clear your engine and give you the peace of mind.

just my 2 cents.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:56   #88
BHPian

Now, this thread got me thinking. I was almost about to finalize a 2010 530D with 35k on the odo. The car looks clean and tidy.

The good news, the entire service history is available.
Bad news, couple of service schedules ( in duration ) have been missed by the second owner. The asking price is around 15lakh. Any advice 🙏.
Old 30th April 2021, 19:08   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
I was almost about to finalize a 2010 530D with 35k on the odo.
The good news, the entire service history is available.
Bad news, couple of service schedules ( in duration ) have been missed by the second owner. The asking price is around 15lakh.
11 years and 2 owners with 35K, I doubt this is possible. If you are serious and the car looks visibly fine, show it to the BMW dealership and get it checked. You can also take the help of car evaluation services like Cars24, they will able to spot any damages/ odo tempering most likely. But for this buyer has to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
The service history says so as well ( From Navneet motors ). The second owner bought the car for his son and his son moved to US ever since.
I will pay some charges to the dealership before going ahead. 35 K in 10-11 Years is too low. But if it's indeed correct, then you should consider the car. If I am not mistaken, 15 Lac will be approximately the same as the RTO charges on a new 530-D in your place

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2021 at 19:25.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
11 years and 2 owners with 35K, I doubt this is possible.
The service history says so as well ( From Navneet motors ). The second owner bought the car for his son and his son moved to US ever since.

Quote:
If you are serious and the car looks visibly fine, show it to the BMW dealership and get it checked. You can also take the help of car evaluation services like Cars24, they will able to spot any damages/ odo tempering most likely. But for this buyer has to agree.
Will try, thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks