Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 20:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I am a little surprised at the extent of work needed. A basic Maruti with a K series engine runs for a hundred thousand and there is basic maintenance and then it can clock a hundred thousand again. You don't spend a bomb. You take an expensive German car and it's life is compared to a race horse. Once past 8 or 10 years, it's mechanically dead needing deep pockets to maintain. The spares are costly, they don't last a lifetime, they fail regularly and are needed to tow to the nearest ASS, then what is special about the German cars? Ride comfort is not something I would like to trade for all the headaches I have to bear during the ownership of such cars. I think an expensive Toyota or a Korean should be a right bargain for people looking to spend big bucks on these Germans.
You Couldn't be more wrong; Just because one engine failed at around 100K kms doesn't mean that all engines would fail at this mark. Globally 100K is considered nothing for these cars, and all of these cars cross 200K without issues like these, electrical issues yes, but engine failures nope. Even in India, I have seen people cross 200K on Germans without major engine troubles. Recently, I saw an Audi A8 Tdi for sale in Punjab with 400K kms!!!!
Timely oil changes with good quality oil, is what keeps them running.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 14:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will pay some charges to the dealership before going ahead. 35 K in 10-11 Years is too low. But if it's indeed correct, then you should consider the car. If I am not mistaken, 15 Lac will be approximately the same as the RTO charges on a new 530-D in your place
Yes, 15 is almost close to the RTO and road taxes on a new one. I will get it checked with a BMW service center. Trying to get a slot after the lockdown is lifted and then only take a call. Thank you for your inputs.

Meanwhile, how is your car doing after the rebuild ?. As good as earlier ?.
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:09   #93
BHPian

Nice to hear that your car is running fine, there is some information I would like to share which might help.

BMW 530d (F10) has N57 engine. As someone pointed out that yours is 2012 model, it has N57D30O0 engine. The N57 engine is pretty much same as N47 (used in 520d). The N47 engine has a very bad reputation of timing chain failures especially the early ones, the engines were improved later by BMW but still the problem exists with almost all the N47 engines.

The N57 just has two more cylinders and uses the same parts so it is also prone to the timing chain problems, but since six pot motors have a lot less vibrations, the timing chain issues are not that evident unlike N47.

The only way to ensure timing chain’s good health is to make sure you change the engine oil before the BMW recommended service interval. Ideally with these engines, at least change the oil and filter every 6 months/6500kms instead of waiting for 1 year/10000km. I am surprised that there was also damage to the rod bearings and all, and 99% reason for that is bad engine oil. Save for the timing chain issue, the N57 motor is pretty rock solid. Even the timing chain is made of good material, it’s just the sharp machined sprockets which cause chain to stretch prematurely beyond tensioner’s limits and the top chain goes (usually along with poor lubrication caused by bad engine oil). And worst of all, the chain is at the back of the engine, and to replace it, engine has to be removed which adds to the cost.

BMW made some revision to the N57 engine (N57D30O1) which has higher power of 258 ps. There are some reports that the timing chain issue was improved with this revision but it’s unconfirmed. The safe bet would be to look for a 2014+530d F10 if in the used car market and maintain it really well.

The other things that will fail in N57 are DPF and EGR. Usually DPF and EGR can be removed if such problem comes. The engine will continue to run fine, just make sure that the job is done by some expert.

Apart from that F10 530d is pretty reliable. No issues with the transmission as well, just service it regularly. Wish you many happy miles with your bmw.
pta320 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 17:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post

BMW made some revision to the N57 engine (N57D30O1) which has higher power of 258 ps. There are some reports that the timing chain issue was improved with this revision but it’s unconfirmed. The safe bet would be to look for a 2014+530d F10 if in the used car market and maintain it really well.

The other things that will fail in N57 are DPF and EGR. Usually DPF and EGR can be removed if such problem comes. The engine will continue to run fine, just make sure that the job is done by some expert.

Apart from that F10 530d is pretty reliable. No issues with the transmission as well, just service it regularly. Wish you many happy miles with your BMW.

Exactly the words I got from the BMW Service centres: thumbs up. The N57 is indeed prone to DPF and EGR valve Issues. In fact, I had changed the EGR valve and back pressure sensor during the rebuild. I have seen these failures on less driven cars also, but at the same time, there are high mileage ones going fine without any of these hassles. But then end of the day it's all about how you maintain it. I luckily came out of the pit without many bruises as I got professional advice and went through what they recommended.

On the other hand, One of my friend who owns a 520d (2011 model) is getting the drive train error every now and then. And after checking with a mechanic they suggested cleaning the DPF (with some kind of liquid)and changing sensors if needed. But as u said the DPF and the EGR issues is seen majorly in 530d's.

But the thing is even if u have to maintain it well the Joy of driving a 530d is something which you cannot get in any of the other cars in the same league in India. Makes us forget all these things
Old 10th June 2021, 10:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Exactly the words I got from the BMW Service centres: thumbs up. The N57 is indeed prone to DPF and EGR valve Issues. In fact, I had changed the EGR valve and back pressure sensor during the rebuild. I have seen these failures on less driven cars also, but at the same time, there are high mileage ones going fine without any of these hassles. But then end of the day it's all about how you maintain it. I luckily came out of the pit without many bruises as I got professional advice and went through what they recommended.

On the other hand, One of my friend who owns a 520d (2011 model) is getting the drive train error every now and then. And after checking with a mechanic they suggested cleaning the DPF (with some kind of liquid)and changing sensors if needed. But as u said the DPF and the EGR issues is seen majorly in 530d's.

But the thing is even if u have to maintain it well the Joy of driving a 530d is something which you cannot get in any of the other cars in the same league in India. Makes us forget all these things
2011 520d has N47. It is pretty much the same engine as N57 except two less cylinders. Almost all parts are same so DPF and EGR issues will be the same in both N47 and N57. Timing chain issues are however lot more common in N47 than N57. I believe it's partly due to more vibrations in 4 cyl than 6.

For the drivetrain error, the first thing I would do is to scan the car for any codes and then proceed further. These BMW's are very complicated and the first point of action with any problem is to scan the car for codes and see real time data about what is abnormal.

If he has got the codes the maybe I can help.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 20:37   #96
BHPian

Just an update on my friend's 2011 Bmw520d. What the garage people is telling now is that it has some issues with the injector along with some other things and u need to rebuild the full engine or swap it with a donor Engine.
It's pretty much the kind of issue I had faced with my 530d. After cleaning the DPF issue within two days the whole engine failed

Interestingly the garage guy is the same one who checked my 530d for the DPF issue which went on to become an engine failure. Now my friend is saying it's a scam as both of our cars Engine failed in two days after taking the delivery from them after cleaning the DPF and he is going to take some legal action against him though I'm not directly involving in it as I don't have valid proof to accuse him and also I don't think it's going to do any good by giving a legal case as they can come up with many reasons.

Anyways he has towed the vehicle to another Reputable Garage to understand what really happened. Connecting rods have to be changed is what they first told from their first look, but they are yet to check it completely, so waiting for that.

And by the way, my 530d engine after the rebuilt has been driven around 1000 km after the overhaul and it's running smoothly with no issues. I feel it was a good job done and that too I luckily did not have to spend a bomb on that which I had thought in the beginning. All in all, I'm very much happy with my 530d now and also with the warranty of 1 lakh km given to me after the rebuild I'm at peace.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 29th August 2021 at 20:44.
lancer_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 20:06   #97
BHPian

Just an update - Finished driving 2k km after the rebuilt and I never had any problem. In fact, I'm getting more performance and mileage now after the rebuilt. Had a long drive couple of days before and it gave me 15 km/ltr (On the Idrive) which is pretty good considering it's a heavy machine and has a 6 cylinder engine.

Feels happy now that everything is running fine after the rebuild(Crossing my fingers) and I'm really enjoying the inline 6 cylinders though I have not done any performance driving after the rebuilt.
I was advised to drive it smoothly for around 200kms initially. So after the rebuilt, I have not gone above 120 though the car begs us to put on a hard foot. But Its mid-range is mind-blowing even in the normal mode which is more than enough to enjoy the drive.

Now that I have completed 2k km after the rebuild I guess I can try a performance drive but thinking of driving it with a light foot a little more time just to be in the safe zone. What do you guys suggest?
lancer_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:25   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I guess some pictures will do the talking here
I was in a independent garage the other day. I saw a mechanic pull out a similar crankshaft bearing from the oil pan of a 530d. When I asked the mechanic how it could have happened, he told me wasn't sure, but it could be due to not enough oil pressure.

On another note, how is your car doing now?

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd July 2022 at 05:12. Reason: Fixed quote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks