Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 11:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW 530d requires an engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith1830 View Post
The timing chain being changed at a 100,000kms rises a red flag. In modern cars I believe the timing chain should last the life of the car or at least till 300000 kms isn`t it?
They are very different beasts!

A timing belt usually needs replacement every 80-100K km.
A timing chain is much more long-lasting as it is located internally and usually lubricated continuously with engine oil. The latter usually lasts 300K+ km or the lifetime if the vehicles whichever is shorter.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:21   #32
BHPian

Got a Big list of parts that needed to be replaced from the Garage today which gave me a near Heart-attack.
I guess now (also as per the advice of you guys here) I am tilting my mind to a replacement of the Half or full Engine.That's the only way I can think of now.
Is there anybody here who can help me source one? (preferable from a totaled car) Want to work out costs between replacing the whole engine vs repairing the current Engine.

Please PM me if anybody is there who can help me

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th December 2020 at 15:49. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
lancer_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Got a Big list of parts that needed to be replaced from the Garage today which gave me a near Heart-attack.
I guess now (also as per the advice of you guys here) I am tilting my mind to a replacement of the Half or full Engine.That's the only way I can think of now.
Is there anybody here who can help me source one? (preferable from a totaled car) Want to work out costs between replacing the whole engine vs repairing the current Engine.

Please PM me if anybody is there who can help me
Could you share the list of parts here if you are comfortable doing so.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:59   #34
BHPian

Guys here is the list of the components for the 530d Engine Rebuild as per the garage person.

1.Timing kit full set
2.Engine Packing full set
3.connecting road assy
4.Turbo hose LH & RH
5. Head gasket
6.stem seal
7.piston rings suspected
8.crank shaft bearing set
9.connecting rod bearing set
10.Full oil seal
11.rocker arm full set
12.tapet full set
13.head bolts full set
14.engine mounting
15.gear box mounting
16.valve cover packing
17.oil cooler packing
18.engine bond
19.oil filter
20.engine oil

I haven't received the cost as each of the parts needed will have to be sourced from different places and the prices for the used one will vary
Also In between, I have also started to check if Full or half-block engines are available.

What do u guys advise? go for repairing the current engine by procuring the used parts of the items in the list above or go for an Engine Swap.
In fact, I got somebody(from Delhi) through my contacts who have the full 530d engine. But the price he is quoting is very high. But then nevertheless relieved to a small extent that there is a way out by swapping the engine successfully. I was also told to check at the BMW ASC as they might be having used full or half-block engines.
520d engine is available everywhere for cheap prices. But procuring the 530d is tough as there are not many 530d's sold here compared to 520d(which ironically was my recent car which I upgraded to the 530 just for the sheer pleasure of driving an Inline 6. But then never thought it was going to be a nightmare.

Expecting Teambhpians for helping me to get out of the hole I'm in right now.

I believe in that List, the Major part (and expensive) to be replaced is the crankshaft.

The 530d is actually my weekend car and long drives for business meets hence the time taken to get it right is not an issue (provided I am given the guarantee of the work). For my daily drives to my office and back, I have my Polo GT TSI. Also nowadays I Work From home mostly (Me being a software developer)hence as I said I can wait and be patient and look around the different options in front of me.

Selling the car is out of the question for personal reasons. My plan was to hold it for at least 3 years more before upgrading to the G30 Msport. (Btw mine is a 2012 end (oct) M-sport, the first batch of the Msports in India I guess)

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 8th December 2020 at 18:17.
lancer_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:04   #35
BHPian

Got a call from a person here just now who deals in totalled cars.
He told me a 530d Full engine is available which has run only 45k, Asking 3.30 lakhs

The other quote which I said I got from Delhi was 4lakhs (But the KMS it has been done is unknown for that)

The person who offered me the engine for 330000(which is still not removed from the car, so I can check it) also said he will give a warranty of 6 months for that engine. I'm in two minds now. Whether to change the full engine or go for the rebuild, my mind is not working at the moment. Please advise me guys which way I should go.
lancer_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:12   #36
BHPian

I'd suggest going for the first option. Even while swapping motors, make sure all belts, chains and gaskets are changed.

Try bargaining for a better price.

PS: I'm speaking from my experience of my time spent in the USA with the availability of used motors in multiple pull a parts and insurance auctions.

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 8th December 2020 at 19:15.
Manoj2268 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:04   #37
BHPian

Guys, I have almost made my mind to swap the engine. As for rebuilding, it will cost me around the same price as a used good condition 530d engine.

I was advised (many from this forum and others) that working on a 6 cylinder European Engine, especially changing the core parts of the engine is a bit tricky especially, and my current engine has been driven around 11700000. And also building a 6 cylinder engine that too which has run more than 1 lakh is not a feasible idea I guess.

So now I'm on the lookout for a good condition 530d Engine all over. Came across some 520d engines for a fair price but the 530d's used engines I was quoted almost the double price of the 520d's maybe because of the availability as there are not many of 530d's sold in India compared to 520d's. Still, I had got a couple of engines, one in Delhi and one here in Kerala which I mentioned in my previous post.

So before taking the plunge for the engine swap I just need to confirm that it is the best way out rather than rebuilding this same engine. So guys please advise me on this and if possible help me sourcing a less driven Engine.
lancer_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 19:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have almost made my mind to swap the engine. As for rebuilding, it will cost me around the same price as a used good condition 530d engine.

I was advised (many from this forum and others) that working on a 6 cylinder European Engine, especially changing the core parts of the engine is a bit tricky especially, and my current engine has been driven around 11700000. And also building a 6 cylinder engine that too which has run more than 1 lakh is not a feasible idea I guess.

So now I'm on the lookout for a good condition 530d Engine all over. Came across some 520d engines for a fair price but the 530d's used engines I was quoted almost the double price of the 520d's maybe because of the availability as there are not many of 530d's sold in India compared to 520d's. Still, I had got a couple of engines, one in Delhi and one here in Kerala which I mentioned in my previous post.

So before taking the plunge for the engine swap I just need to confirm that it is the best way out rather than rebuilding this same engine. So guys please advise me on this and if possible help me sourcing a less driven Engine.
In our country, even proper authorised dealerships are barely capable of doing technically involving jobs. Wisest thing would be to sell this car in as-is condition and enjoy the cash. You had your run with this 530d and 1.17L km can be considered a happy ending.

Sorry for being pessimistic, but you really need to assess your situation in the context of India and not what you read on international forums.

Unless you plan to bring it to running condition and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer, just save yourself the hassle and close this chapter.

At least, evaluate your options in terms of money, effort and time - not just money alone. A good time to become familiar with the concept of opportunity cost.

Don't take up repair with an intention to use the car for few more years - that works only for cars that have been and will be meticulously maintained as per manufacturer recommendations.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:34   #39
BHPian

Not sure if it will help, but there's a very popular and trusted mechanic who is also an YouTuber.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ManishCartechnology

He often rebuilds engines and fixes stuff on high end cars. You can probably contact him for a suggestion.

I have no affiliation with his company or channel.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 9th December 2020 at 20:36.
Old 9th December 2020, 20:34   #40
Team-BHP Support

+1 to androdev.

Even if you find a low mileage engine, please be aware that there are so many ECUs in the BMW and each ECU would need to be properly coded for the replacement engine to work in your car. Make sure that the FNG who is doing this job is equipped to do all this coding work and they have the necessary equipment to do this. Otherwise the car will end up as a money sinking pit.

My intent is not to discourage you from not taking up this task, but to make sure you check everything before you put your money into this project.
graaja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:33   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even in the best of circumstances buying an >5 year old 530D is a gamble and it's a much, much bigger gamble if you invest in an engine from a scrapped junk yard vehicle.

Quote:
So guys please advise me on this and if possible help me sourcing a less driven Engine.
Multiple members have advised you on the options on the table. I believe you are looking for support on what seems to be an emotional decision to resurrect a dead vehicle. You're flogging a dead horse bro. It is an endless pit for your money. Be that as it may the final decision is ultimately up to you. Good luck.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 00:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You had your run with this 530d and 1.17L km can be considered a happy ending.
Actually it is sad because going by his previous posts on the forum, seems like he picked up the car very recently, around a month and a half back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4912827

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4919073 (My Pre-worshipped Monster : BMW 530d M-Sport [F10] EDIT: Sold after 72000+km!)
Yakuza is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 08:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Actually it is sad because going by his previous posts on the forum, seems like he picked up the car very recently, around a month and a half back
Thanks for sharing those links.

Assuming the car was driven within its parameters and maintained, one doesn't get serious engine damage of this type, including a cracked crankshaft (!!), in just a matter of about 6 weeks. Timing chain and other engine parts are scheduled for replacements at specified intervals in high mileage engines.

Obviously this issue has been lurking under the bonnet but the car was not assessed/diagnosed correctly before purchase by checking its service history followed by an evaluation by an expert mechanic, or, preferably a BMW service centre.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th December 2020 at 08:56.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:31   #44
BHPian

You can call up sahil from vertron motors,chennai. He takes up complicated jobs and he may be able to source the engine for you as well. His number is +91 8939216250.
rahul_66 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Can't you take it to the dealer you purchased it from, I think you purchased it only in November this year or so?

And I would request you to think 100 times before going ahead with a used engine, it can turn out to be like walking from a Khadda to a Khai.

Engine rebuild if done well by an experienced guy can give the car a second chance, the used engine on the other hand, you don't know how its treated as you will never open every nut bolt to check.

Has a compression test being done on the used engine that you are thinking of buying?
humyum is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks