Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 16:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet owners, how is the spare parts availability & service since GM left India?

Being an owner of a Chevy Beat LT LPG since 2011, one thing that has happened with Chevy shutting shop in India is that the number of company authorised service centres has gone down in Calcutta and the ones still there are charging a premium. The service centre I used to go to has now become a T.A.S.S. and the most of the earlier service advisors have now shifted to Tata (including my erstwhile SA who is now the SM for the Tata workshop). While they still service Chevy cars in an adjacent facility they don't advertise it and they also charge a bomb for every small thing. Also, mine being a dual car with LPG and Petrol, spare parts availability especially for the LPG system is not that great. So on the whole I would not say that I have remained unaffected and that there is absolutely no issue.
Neversaygbye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:12   #32
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet owners, how is the spare parts availability & service since GM left India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I am trying to get my Chevrolet beat diesel back to shape. It has run 1 lakh KMs and I feel power loss as well as engine oil gets depleted real fast, so
Much that I carry 3 L of engine oil and keep topping it up.. will be grateful if some one can share a reliable FNG in and around Bangalore.
This is usually serious, get it checked at a authorized service center for engine blow back as this may mean working on the engine.

Now coming to the topic, my almost 10 year old Diesel Beat LT has been a pleasure to maintain and service. Since 2018, it got serviced in Pune. Parts have never been a problem, just that if service center doesn't have it then they have to order. Orders are done once a week so if you time it well (Tuesdays) you will get it next day or have to wait till next Wednesday for supplies to come. The prices are also inline with market.

The issue I have is, they have just 3 authorized service centers in Pune - so if you don't have a good FNG or don't live near these three service centers then its a bit of inconvenience. e.g. I liked Service of Samarth Chevrolet (45 mins drive) over Motormechs (10 mins drive), but live with Motormechs for usual service and go to Samarth for things like timing belt replacement. The difference is in service attitude of the advisors and not with parts.

Also Chevrolet comes with a promotional service camp atleast twice a year (once near monsoons and another one in holiday period) - 15-30% discount of parts/labour - so if you can time it, its good time to get anything major done.

Last edited by satishchugh : 11th January 2021 at 16:16.
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:14   #33
BHPian

I own a 2010 Cruze LTZ AT . In last 10 years of my ownership and after driving it for 1.40K km, I
must admit I have never faced any issue with this car. Had zero maintenance issue and service experience was always good. All spares were readily available .

It's ineed sad that GM had to leave this country even though they had terrific products .

Sadly due to 10 year rule in NCR I have to bid adieu to my cruze. I am yet to find a CAR that gives the speed burst like Chevy cruze.

The best Diesel Rocket ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks all! I must eat my words - guess the email isn't lip service, and GM has actually taken care of its customers. I know of some currently sold cars whose spare parts aren't easily available, so am very pleasantly surprised to read the comments above .
i_nv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:17   #34
BHPian

As an owner of 2010 Chevrolet Beat LT, I can confirm that the part availability isn't a big problem. Although earlier I never was asked to return due to lack of parts availability, it has happened couple of times recently but can't complain as it was promptly ordered and made available within 2-3 days.

The concern though is the greed of the Service Centers. During my last service, in the name of Service Camp, they came out with a huge list of items that needs replacement, the total of which was quoted around 1 lakh rupees. I could see multiple customers being handed over such long lists while I was there.

I declined to get anything other than the servicing and oil change done. Took the car to an FNG and got the Front Suspension, Brake pads and Break disk replaced and overhauled the clutch for around 1/4 the cost. They were able to source parts easily from outside. Will be taking it to FNG going forward after getting it regularly serviced by the ASC till now.
TechLiveMANA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:36   #35
BHPian

I was a proud owner of a 2020 Beat LT Petrol. The car was a charm in Hinjewadi traffic. I found it more responsive in city driving than a swift.
GM closed its shop. Now what ?
All 6 GM service centers in Pune got closed. I was worried. Although service was not an issue but spare parts were. Soon a new service center called as Ace Chevrolet popped up in Hinjewadi and I was sure that my problem was solved.
He had good service and also parts availability.

But, it was a time to upgrade. I was going for a Honda Amaze.
Brokers never offered me more than 74K.
Honda Offered me 40K shamelessly. They didn't negotiate further even I was buying a new car from them.

Sale ad was posted on Quickr and a gentlemen approached me. He fell in love with the car at first glance and Deal was closed at 1.3Lac including RC transfer.

I still miss my Chevvy but heard that Ace Chevrolet is also closed. No service center in Pune now for GM.
Rajat347 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:19   #36
BHPian

My uncle owns a 7yr old Beat Diesel. He stays in a small town and travels to a nearby City to get his car serviced once a year. He says he is more than happy with the service quality and spare parts availability. Last February, he had an unfortunate accident with a buffalo and Beat's front mudguard, front right fender, right headlight and front right door was damaged. All of these parts were replaced within a week of waiting. The only complaint he has is the low resale value but he is not planning to sell the car until the car completes 15yrs
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 18:31   #37
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am a happy and proud owner of December, 2012 Petrol Sail UV-A (hatchback). The car has done more than 1.4 lakh kms now and i would say engine and gearbox still has juice. moreover, I don't find that perfect driving position in my new Tiago, even with seat height adjustment.

I stopped going to authorized dealer after warranty period, due to its unethical practices. Albeit I am able to source most of the parts in market. though I once had to go to them for replacement coolant hose as it was not available anywhere else, and they had the part in stock.

I am planning suspension overhaul this month, will update if I come across any difficulty in sourcing parts.

Regards.

Last edited by indianvirus : 11th January 2021 at 18:34.
indianvirus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 18:46   #38
BHPian

Surprised and at the same time glad to see so many happy GM car owners.
I had a 2006 AVEO bought through MPL motors, Chennai. The dealer dumped GM around 2007 for Mahindra. I am no unable to recollect the 2nd dealer in Chennai apart from TVS. But the 2nd dealer was closer home and was a disaster, even notorious for stealing parts from cars sent for service.
As soon as the warranty period was over, I changed over to CARNATION and continued using them as long as I had the car.
Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 18:48   #39

I am happy for my Chevy Sail 1.3 TDI for 7 long years. Not a single issue till now. Gets mostly serviced by my neighborhood garage. Sourcing most of the parts from BOSCH which are available over the counter from Secunderabad(Hyderabad).

Will keep it as second car/for parents after a planned upgrade to an suv.
sjayanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:30   #40
BHPian

I have a 2016 Chevrolet Sail Petrol LS ABS.

After sales of Chevy cars stopped in India, I have done three periodic services and a running repair job at Patel Auto which is an authorised service centre for Chevrolet in Goregaon, Mumbai.

The running repair was due to alternator belt breaking in 2017. Other than that it has only required regular maintenance.

I have been very satisfied with Patel Auto. The service centre is not flashy and shares space with a petrol pump. The service advisors are knowledgeable and helpful. Usually I get my car within a day.

They don't charge additional for Credit Card payments like many service centres do.

During last service, some sensor required to be changed. It took 4-5 days to get the part.

They polish the car externally and internally free of cost as a part of regular service. A.S.S usually charge thousands for it!

They keep on calling and sending SMSes for the various camps they do. They offer great discounts on spares and labour if you get your car serviced in these camps.

I am an ex GM employee. I can infact say that I get better service from Patel Auto as a normal customer than I got as a company employee from various Chevy dealers!

Hope the things remain same after Talegaon factory closing down and the car stays with me for a long time. There was no car as spacious as Sail in that price range that time.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:05   #41
rpm
BHPian

We just sold our 12 year old Spark recently. It had probably done close to 1.5 lakh Km, but I say probably because the odometer jumped and it showed a whopping 7 lakh+ Km . We got it serviced at our local mechanic though, even before Chevrolet left India.

Other than half a dozen clutch wires it chewed through, no major niggles were encountered. The engine and gearbox never gave up despite me accidentally changing gears without pressing the clutch once in a blue moon, and the occasional take off's with the handbrake still engaged (no, not going for the flashy take off's. Just genuine, honest mistakes because I rarely drove a four wheeler, and regularly driving a 2 wheeler, I often forgot about the concept of handbrake )
My father once drove it for about 115-120 Km after the clutch wire snapped mid-way in Himachal (mechanics and dealerships are sparse in many areas of Himachal), and I once drove it with a broken clutch wire from Panchkula to Chandigarh to a mechanic (about 10-12 Km). Never left us stranded (thank heavens it belonged to good ol' 'No clutch? No problem' era of vehicles).

Had a couple of minor accidents too, once with a buffalo and once when an Etios hit the passenger side of the engine bay at a right angle, speeding off a narrow intersection (you know, the ones in residential areas). Took both like a champ, with only external sheet metal damage. Other than that, it was the usual business with animals jumping in, getting slight bumper kisses at traffic lights, etc., which the average Indian driver is pretty accustomed to.

Had a ton of fun with the Chevy Spark; the parting video still makes me emotional

Last edited by rpm : 11th January 2021 at 21:16.
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:32   #42
BHPian

A few of my friends in Noida own Beat and Spark. As per them there is no problem as far as the availability of spares are concerned, not to mention the entire Sector -16 car market for the same as well.
SatyRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Good aftersales service for a period of 15 years after the first registration date is regulatory requirement, GM is meeting that and (credit where its deserved) well. What’s disappointing is that in our country, other brands get by without doing this, and hence it’s made GM India’s “good behaviour” as exception rather than norm, making its customers “happy” instead of just Satisfied. It’s a showcase for how low the bar is set for expectations of support from an exiting company & regulatory enforcement of the same.

We will indeed have to learn to become atmanirbhar soon!

P.s. - To all happy fellow Chevrolet fanboys/owners - the tears of low/abysmal resale values & hard to find buyers will hurt long after the smiles of adequate service support. Hell, already my local insurance agent who deals with Tata AIG says “he won’t sell comprehensive insurance for my discontinued brand Chevy Spark.”

Last edited by shreevishnu : 12th January 2021 at 10:53. Reason: Typos
shreevishnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:51   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
P.s. - To all happy fellow Chevrolet fanboys/owners - the tears of low/abysmal resale values & hard to find buyers will hurt long after the smiles of adequate service support. Hell, already my local insurance agent who deals with Tata AIG says “he won’t sell comprehensive insurance for my discontinued brand Chevy Spark.”

In the third post of my ownership thread, I discussed exactly this point.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3212298

I wrote this before there was any news of Chevy shutting down.

Even today I maintain the same. Buying a car for its expected resale value does not make any financial sense.

For insurance, I use some app to pick up what is cheap.
Considering the premium is just about 7k for this car, I don't see any reason to haggle with any agent.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:49   #45
BHPian

I have 10 year old Spark LT. Although there is no chevy service centre where I live in Mumbai, sourcing parts has never been an issue. I am glad to hear others on this forum who have been using their respective cars for almost 10 years just like me. Kudos GM
patwardhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks