Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 20:08   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
what's so different about VW that the ignition point would change w.r.t. TDC???

You are on a thin line. Did you compute the fuel flow rate, whilst berating the attendant?
I didn't understand the first bit. I was referring to their finickyness.

I don't know how to compute the fuel flow rate. What I do know is that it gives me 13-16 kmpl, so it must've been still using the fuel in the fuel line.

Nonetheless, if any adulterated fuel had reached sensitive components, wouldn't I feel the effects by now?
Old 11th May 2015, 11:05   #152
BHPian

Re: Filled diesel in petrol car!!!

I thought these type of horors occured very infrequently, only to know today that it happened to my parent's Zen MPFI.

They had about 5 ltrs of petrol and accidentally put 5 more ltrs of Diesel in it. My father started noticing loss of power and hence deduced as much.

Somehow they made it to my village and dont think will be able to get a technician to attend to it.

What is the best course of action..

Should they

1. Try and tow the vehicle using another car and take it to the nearest mechanic or

2. Top up the tank with Petrol and drive to the nearest mechanic..

needless to say #1 will be cumbersome. But if it needs to be done, then we will get it done some how.
Old 11th May 2015, 12:20   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

I would tow it. You have a 50/50 mixture of petrol/diesel all over the fuel system. Before attempting to start the filter needs to be replaced, you need to drain the various fuel lines, clear injectors etc. you are likely to do much more damage if you try and drive it now. You might have occurred some damage already, notably the fuel pump and injectors. Time will tell.
Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:21   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
They had about 5 ltrs of petrol and accidentally put 5 more ltrs of Diesel in it. My father started noticing loss of power and hence deduced as much.

Somehow they made it to my village and dont think will be able to get a technician to attend to it.

Should they

1. Try and tow the vehicle using another car and take it to the nearest mechanic or

2. Top up the tank with Petrol and drive to the nearest mechanic..

needless to say #1 will be cumbersome. But if it needs to be done, then we will get it done some how.
Please dont do the latter, even though the car has already been driven. Fortunately diesel in a petrol engine is not as bad as vice versa. The mechanic would need to disengage the fuel line from the engine and then pump out all the diesel+petrol mix from the tank. The engine may also need to be flushed given that the car has been driven some distance.

You said it was 'deduced' that diesel was filled; was the car driven back to the petrol pump and the blunder was confirmed by the attendant?
Old 11th May 2015, 12:26   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post

Should they
Drain out the remaining fuel from the bottom / fuel hose region so that the tank is empty.. repeat the same with another 5 ltrs of petrol again (to ensure tank is cleaned) and fill petrol again & drive to the nearest mechanic. Ask local mechanic, if any, to bleed some petrol further at all possible points in the car (MPFI - its injector can throw out some old oil pumped) so that the old fuel is flushed out as much as possible..

Draining the tank completely is difficult, this is the best approach considering that towing is a ruled out option.

Last edited by null : 11th May 2015 at 12:30.
Old 11th May 2015, 18:35   #156
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Thanks a ton for your response! I have advised the same to my parents as well.. they have not started the engine further and will be towing the car tomorrow to the mechanic. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Am hoping it doesn't put too much of a dent to my pocket.

Best Regards
Charan
Old 11th May 2015, 23:05   #157
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays they are selling a garnish for the fuel tank lid in MGA with "Petrol" and "Diesel" indications. I am thinking of getting one for my car.
Old 19th July 2016, 17:28   #158
BHPian

You only see a doctor when you are sick!!! Here is how it happened

Car
Honda City Petrol
2010 model
70k done

Fuel mix ratio
30 ltrs of petrol
4 ltrs of diesel

How it happened
I was running low on fuel so decided to stop at this petrol pump around 11pm on GT road. This attendant filled up 4 ltr of diesel and stopped realizing he had put diesel instead of petrol. When i made hue and cry, the attendants got together and suggested to fill the entire tank with petrol so that 4 ltr of diesel gets mixed with 25-30ltrs of petrol. I wasn't convinced on their solution when another car wala came there (was a known to the petrol pump attendants) and he called up his mechanic and explained him the issue. That mechanic suggested to fill petrol to the brim and shake the car so that diesel gets mixed properly. Also that the petrol should be filled with all the pressure (that latch on the handle has to be moved all the way ahead). I had no choice but to be convinced to follow shake before use therapy.

Did i drive after that?
With all the shaking and 11pm time and the convincing by everyone around, i decided to go ahead. Nothing happened so far and i reached my destination without any issues.

Today morning condition
I assumed diesel is heavier than petrol and my have settled down again (i dont know why i thought that) so i have to shake it again without dad knowing about it. Car started without any issues so took to local mechanic who suggested not to worry. Then went to Honda SA who spoke with his mechanic about the ratio of diesel and also suggested not to worry and not to use systemG.

My query
Just to be on the safer side, do i
a) Get the tank and injectors cleaned from honda
b) Get the tank and injectors cleaned from outside
c) Use systemG right now and next 2/3 tankfulls
d) Use premium fuel in next 2/3 tankfulls
e) Leave it as it is
f) Any other suggestion?

Is the car behaving strangely
No

<Once again>
Car
Honda City Petrol
2010 model
70k done

Fuel mix ratio
30 ltrs of petrol
4 ltrs of diesel

Last edited by quadra : 19th July 2016 at 17:29.
quadra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 21:39   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a) Get the tank and injectors cleaned from honda
b) Get the tank and injectors cleaned from outside
c) Use systemG right now and next 2/3 tankfulls
Happened recently in my Petrol Inova from my own personal experience, you don't need to worry. In mine case it was 20 Litres of Diesel and less than 5 Litre Petrol but the car kept running for a while only when it dropped pickup that driver realised. Toyota Dealership just emptied the complete tank and we added fresh Petrol. They gave some Toyota branded injector cleaner which I used for next 2-3 Tanks and everything is same as before. Check if Honda guys have something similar or else you can buy from Toyota or if you want to go little premium you can get from BMW Dealership - those are priced competitively as well & will feel nice psychologically
Old 19th July 2016, 22:41   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
My query
Diesel in Petrol is far less damaging than Petrol in a Diesel car.

1) You could continue to drive
2) Go to a mechanic and ask him to siphon off the fuel, and you can fill fresh petrol. Just siphon it out. Dont need to take out the tank to empty it etc.
3) Do it yourself. Dont need to throw away the petrol, but you could give it so some auto-walah. Or petrol based genset.
4) Go on a long drive, drive @ low gear - high-speed combination so you use more fuel. Once @ half tank or so, top up again.

Basically, if any damage - you would have experienced at least some abnormal behaviour by now.

And had it been petrol in a diesel car, it would have been a completely different story.

Note:
In case of Diesel -petrol mix in Charanreddy's post, the mix was 50-50. Hence the observed loss of power. In your case, the ratio is much more favorable.

Last edited by condor : 19th July 2016 at 22:44.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 01:27   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't worry too much. Fill the tank with petrol and just keep going
Old 28th September 2016, 17:54   #162
BHPian

And just now, the driver on hire fills 20 liters of diesel in my 2005 petrol swift. the fuel tank was near empty, so its pure diesel in the tank now. He drove for a few meters before suspecting that something was amiss, then parked to the side. The petrol pump person has called a maruti service center that is in the vicinity, and they will come and drain the tank.

Let's see what all they plan to do/replace etc.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:31   #163
Senior - BHPian

Just heard that Mangalore City North MLA Mohiuddin Bava's Volvo XC60 had to go through this exercise Since it is hybrid, Volvo service center Bangalore is handling this. BTW, it was the 1st 2017 model delivered in India.
Old 16th May 2022, 22:13   #164
BHPian

So I decided to fill up at Bharat Petroleum pump near Kapurbawdi circle, generally I fill up as soon as my tank hits 50% as I don't have any fuel pumps near my house.
I have a habit of getting out of my car while refilling, I also reminded the attendant twice about filling in Petrol. Grabbed my wallet as the attendant asked me to verify the zero mark, but I quickly realized that petrol price was not 102 and asked him to stop immediately.
I politely asked him, "Petrol bola tha na apko?" (I had asked for petrol) to which he replied "Sir 1 liter diesel se kuch farak nai padta". (Sir, 1 liter diesel won't cause any damage)

I quickly googled about the acceptable percentage of diesel contamination in a petrol engine, some sites mentioned 5% while some mentioned 8%.
In my case the fuel tank was full so there was around 1 liter diesel and 38-39 liters of petrol which translates to ~3% contamination. Called my mechanic, he said that 3% contamination won't cause any problems and that I can continue driving without any issues. Browsed through team-bhp once I reached home and was a bit relieved.

No warning lights, no smoke and no strange behavior. Topped up with HP power petrol the next day, continued driving in low gears with high rpm.

400kms later, the car is running completely fine.
As the car is nearing 10k should I use the STP Injector Cleaner?
Is it safe to use if manufacturer has recommended against using any fuel additives?
Old 16th May 2022, 22:59   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Is it safe to use if manufacturer has recommended against using any fuel additives?
Well, who are you going to believe?

Some guys calling themselves nitro or Viper on the Internet who claim to be knowledgeable or the Manufacturer?

Be very careful with what the Internet tells you you can and can not do. But this one is a no brainer. And this too, is a post on the Internet. In my defence, I post under my actual name! But none of my, many, posts carry any kind of warranty!

It’s a toughie, I know. Reading a boring owner manual versus browsing the Internet. If it helps, I will read the owners manual of every car I have ever owned, front to back. Very dull, but you would be surprised what you learn.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks