Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think you are right ben, when a car is passing through water it is always advisable to shift to a lower gear before entering the water and then not shifting gears or playing with the clutch while passing through it. If it stalls inspite of all the precautions somewhere in between then just switch off the engine and push it across.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Opinions, guys?
Benny, I would tend to agree with you but its more a post mortem, we first need to see if the diagnosis itself is faulty.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I think you are right ben, when a car is passing through water it is always advisable to shift to a lower gear before entering the water and then not shifting gears or playing with the clutch while passing through it. If it stalls inspite of all the precautions somewhere in between then just switch off the engine and push it across.
and never race through the water, just be calm and drive at a low constant speed, the water splashing (due to speed) all around under the hood can cause more damage than you can think.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:51   #19
Team-BHP Support

Any ideas on what is to be done for claiming it under warranty or whether there is a clause for this for insurance.

Yup, No water has entered the cabin at all. it's bone dry.

What I dont understand is the piston and con rods needing replacement?
Old 21st June 2007, 14:04   #20
BHPian

well 26/7 happened much before fiestas launch so it has been tested to pass through 450mm of water comfortably, well that is what we were told in training.
(guess other manufacturers just test it for 300mm of water.)
and still something like this happens is actually a shame for ford india unless it was a driver error (which is highly possible i believe.)

i still believe in the product though.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:32   #21
BHPian

I cant understand the part of 1 piston costing 41000. Could this be true? I guess that is the price for set of 4 but mentioned in qty as 1
Old 21st June 2007, 14:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

ok so I'm mailing Ford using the id given by benny.

I am attaching the estimate from ganges ford for the repairs.

Any other suggestions as to what to write to them?
Old 21st June 2007, 15:10   #23
Team-BHP Support

Vid, there is also a customer care number mentioned in the thread in the Shifting Gears section which mansi had created. Try that also, for a verbal complaint.
Old 21st June 2007, 15:11   #24
BHPian

Vid, why would anybody change 'Steering Oil' and 'AC Gas' for an engine failure issue...!

I get a bad feeling about Ganges Ford's intention. Beware....! Double check.
Old 21st June 2007, 15:12   #25
BHPian

There is also Bothra Ford in Calcutta. Have they opened up the engine? I think the dealer is taking him for a ride. Last weeks downpore my dad took our santro all over and even had slight water seapage into the cabin but no other problem.
Old 21st June 2007, 15:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
There is also Bothra Ford in Calcutta.
I thought that closed down a few years back?
Old 21st June 2007, 15:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
we first need to see if the diagnosis itself is faulty.
Agreed. What we need is a second opinion. Do we have any TBHP tech gurus in Calcutta? Else I think get a private garage mechanic to have a look.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:35   #28
BHPian

My Mistake, yes Ganges is the only dealer in all of West Bengal, but I know a good place and my Dad has been associated with the trade for a long time. If any help is needed I can ask him to help out. I am sure he will be glad to do so.

Last edited by ritayan : 21st June 2007 at 16:38.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:38   #29
Team-BHP Support

To me it looks like a big con.

Vid’s uncle knows nothing about cars. Taking that, one and only dealer from Kolkata is taking a big chance.

Even for ankle deep water (taking as water has not gone inside the cabin) it’s really difficult to believe that water has gone through tail pipe. And gone where and how far? Are we to believe that water has gone past both the mufflers and cat-con housing to reach the exhaust ports?

And how much force it takes for water to come up through air inlet path to reach filter and then go through? At what speed we’re talking about?

Yes water can get sprayed inside via radiator/AC condenser fans. But then it’s only water droplets. But for ankle deep water one can rule that out.

Vid has a problem in hand and let’s help him however we can. Let’s not discuss how to drive through water please.

Requesting Kolkata members to help Vid and his uncle. Someone should see it through from your side.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:55   #30
Team-BHP Support

Just spoke to my uncle who called them up. They say the water has gone through the air intake. I also find this hard to believe as they say there is no damage to the turbo!

I'm writing a mail now to ford to ask for justification to the estimate so that they send across a ford rep to get it inspected. I'll forward the mail to the Calcutta gang as well.

Thanks a lot guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks