Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 16:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Requesting Kolkata members to help Vid and his uncle. Someone should see it through from your side.
ShuvC, you in town? I'm taking the liberty of saying that you & 1100D would perhaps be the right guys to talk to the dealer (and also suggest alternatives) - but I'm guessing Anirban is out of the country?

EDIT: Just read Vid's post & my original feeling about the dealer playing up is now growing stronger.

Last edited by suman : 21st June 2007 at 16:58.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

last wednesday there was a heavy shower in Kolkata - AJC Bose rd was under knee deep water. my car made it through it but i wonder how did the fiesta got stuck. infact a M800 made it in front of me.

anyways, 1100D / Anirban is out of Calcutta (but he regularly log into TBHP 11.30pm IST) - but @vid - your uncle can get in touch with 1100D's dad if he wants. i can PM you his number if you want. you can also PM @shuvd. he owned a 1.8 ikon a few years back but he got it from bothra (closed). Ganges Ford is the only authorized dealer and 1100D was not at all happy with them. please PM 1100D as well. may be he can help you out. shuvc is also in town.

please feel free to call me / PM me with anything and i will try to help you out.

edit: @suman da - ganges guys are taking vid's uncle for a ride. it will be better if vid can PM 1100D. he must be knowing the right guys to approach.

@vid - please check this link as well: https://www.secure.india.ford.com/se...Page&c=DFYPage

just in case:

Ganges Ford
Showroom
Trinity Plaza 84/1A
topsia Road, Kolkatta
Kolkata WEST BENGAL 700043
India
Ph: 91-33-22851005-8
Fax: 91-33-22851008
Email: sales@gangesford.com salesmanager@gangesford.com
Workshop
5, Hide Road,
Kolkata,
WEST BENGAL
Pin Code: 700043
Ph: 033-3096 6973
Email: gangesford@vsnl.net

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st June 2007 at 17:24.
Old 21st June 2007, 18:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

What I don't understand is how the water went into the Air Intake when the water was not high enough to even go above the door sill? I also think there is something wrong here.

Vid - Can you ask the service centre to verify how they came to know about the water inside the engine? Any proof or pics of the same?
Old 21st June 2007, 19:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

A team-bhp meet to the garage should set things right .

If the dealer is adamant that it has caused to to flodding , then ask him to give in writing .Take this to insurance guys ....what say guys ?

Last edited by black12rr : 21st June 2007 at 19:41.
Old 21st June 2007, 19:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest you ask your uncle to take the car to a good non-Ford-authorized workshop. Ford's A.S.S leaves a lot to be desired and they have a history of replacing things that can be repaired. If he needs help locating a workshop, send me a PM... will see if I can help.

The water level hardly seems high enough to have caused such serious damage to the engine. I drove through bonnet-high (no exaggerations) water in my Santro and survived with a wet & stinking interior but an intact engine. I hardly think Ford's engines are that fragile.
Old 21st June 2007, 20:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Would suggest you ask your uncle to take the car to a good non-Ford-authorized workshop. Ford's A.S.S leaves a lot to be desired and they have a history of replacing things that can be repaired. If he needs help locating a workshop, send me a PM... will see if I can help.

The water level hardly seems high enough to have caused such serious damage to the engine. I drove through bonnet-high (no exaggerations) water in my Santro and survived with a wet & stinking interior but an intact engine. I hardly think Ford's engines are that fragile.
Yep yep i agree the water level is not even that high that it can touch the air intake leave alone getting into it.
Yeah same here have taken my 800 for scuba diving in mumbai floods a lot of times and the only thing that happens is a stinking interior due to flooding in the cabin
Old 21st June 2007, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Could it be possible that a wave of water caused by a bus or a truck could have pushed the water inside the air intake ???
Old 21st June 2007, 22:11   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vidyut, like I said check the turbo. See if they claim water to have entered the TC. The very fact that they claim water to have entered the engine is suspicious. From where? Exhaust? Highly impossible. Intake? Not likely unless the water levels were high. Is the car cranking? Or is the engine completely dead? Like I said in my first post, get pics of the part and put them up here.

Just did a bit of digging in on Ford and found out that recently a friend had given his Mondeo for some repairs. They claimed that the bottom half had cracked and replaced it. Within a month, now they claim pistons and conrods are bent and 1 valve is bent or such. Its been almost 2 months since the car is at the garage, still its not yet ready or is the engine being worked on. They are giving excuses saying that someone from the Delhi HO has to come and approve the warranty claim etc. So apart from ripping you have, they might take ages to work and get the car running. Just be careful of this too.
Old 21st June 2007, 22:32   #39
Team-BHP Support

Mclaren they say turbo is ok doesnt need to b replaced and they say this is possible sometimes. Engine is open now for estimate. Have told them not to start work till matter is dealt with by ford directly.

Esteem_lover, I asked my uncle the same thing if there was a wave. He said there was nothing of the sort. he was just following a WagonR in front.
Old 21st June 2007, 23:21   #40
BHPian

Either oversight or Ford is taking you for a ride.

Either theses guys are pulling a fast one on your uncle or they have no clue as to what is to be replaced when water gets into the cylinder.
If the engine was cranking or turning at all then you can be sure the connecting rod was not bent or broken.

If water did actually enter the cylinder and since water ain't compressible; in the compression stroke the connecting rod and piston broke or got bent. When that happens there is definitely going to be scoring on the highly polished walls of the cylinder. If that really did happen then it would mean getting new rings and sending the block for the fresh honing pattern which cannot be covered in the Rs8000 or so of labor cost. Piston seal is very important for diesels specially or else you could as well drive my Junkindica

Next Ford claims that water damage did not occur to the turbo which is highly unlikely since the turbo is spinning at revs challenging a dental drill and thats fast enough to cause it damage if the oil film is broken for even a second. The impeller if not the bearing must be damaged which they will point out in a future repair bill. Fine cracks because of earlier water lashing on the impeller will crack and dislodge the weak blade or petal and cause untold damage to the cylinder at a future date.

I still cannot fathom their logic behind replacing the oil and gas of sealed fluid system( the AC)???????????????

As others have mentioned your uncle stands to loose either way and hope they diagnosed water ingestion correctly in the first place.
Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 21st June 2007 at 23:29.
Old 21st June 2007, 23:47   #41
Team-BHP Support

drpullockaran, that is an excellent point on the walls of the cylinder getting scored.

i have mailed ford and have PM's the kolkata members for help. Lets hope for a positive response from Ford.
Old 22nd June 2007, 08:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Really? My memory fails me, could you give a specific link or site where they mentioned this "certain" level?

Anyway, this is the second monsoon after the Fiesta's launch and there are enough cars which are on the roads that have gone through the effects of a full monsoon without something like this happening (I've myself been through a lot of water last year, have never faced this).

Lets try & help Vidyut out with this one instead of starting a debate on whether the Fiesta has failed under Indian conditions or not - we can start a separate thread on that .

Cheers
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Ford india website link mentioning the same :-

http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137382934374&pagename=Page&c=DF YPage

You guys made me make an effort.

Get back to Ford India strongly on the basis of this feature which is there in all Fiesta variants.
Old 22nd June 2007, 08:56   #43
Team-BHP Support

Namit that's an excellent find. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the effort

Quote:
Water Wading and Bow Wave test

The Ford Fiesta was put through intense water wading tests that includes leaving the car in .45 meter depth of water for eight hours, a typical situation in Indian monsoons, to check for leaks and functionality. In addition, Fiesta was also put through a bow wave test that ensures water from waves caused by passing traffic don't affect it when parked in water-logged areas.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd June 2007 at 08:59.
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Namit, excellent ........well Vidyut, at least you now have a basis for challenging their contention of non-warranty; .45 meters translates roughly to 18 inches, and I assume the air intake would be well above this height to effectively counter the "bow wave test".

I think the time has arrived to strong-arm the dealer
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:15   #45
Team-BHP Support

1: check the engine oil for water content

2: is the engine totally dismantled - ask them to rotate engine to see pistons

3: Get a certified engineer to assess damage

considering the car stopped without any bangs / smoke etc, it could be a mere ECU fault

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks