Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 22:35   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vidyut, if there are going to be floods I suggest you ask your uncle to stay away from Turbo cars, specially those who have their turboes mounted low. This will be the problem in the future too.

Infact, the dealer could have been more helpful. Since in case of warranty the dealer doesn't pay you see. The damages are born by the company. So don't see a reason why the dealer would have to send out a false report claiming water had entered the passenger compartment.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
specially those who have their turboes mounted low.
Even if the Turbo's mounted low, the intake is from the Air Intake, so the height of the Intake is what matters.

There is no way a proper Wastegate or Blow-off valve will allow water to get in from outside.

Is there any other route that I am not seeing?
Old 9th July 2007, 10:41   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Even if the Turbo's mounted low, the intake is from the Air Intake, so the height of the Intake is what matters.

There is no way a proper Wastegate or Blow-off valve will allow water to get in from outside.

Is there any other route that I am not seeing?
That's exactly what I am wondering.
Is it really possible for water to enter the engine throught exhaust???
I thought the exhaust valves open only during the exhaust stroke and during that time the exhaust gas pressure is so much that water can not enter from the exhaust pipe.

Is this not correct?
Old 9th July 2007, 10:49   #124
Team-BHP Support

It's got something to do with backpressure. that's when water can enter through the exhaust.

Also the turbo will be at extremely hot temperatures and even if there was no way to enter any contact with cold water could be harmful.

One more thing comes to mind is the cooling of the turbo I think it can be either air cooled or oil cooled.

Is it possible for water to enter the turbo through the cooling path.
Old 9th July 2007, 12:12   #125
BHPian

Vid6639,
I am really sorry to hear about the incident.
I expected Ford India to wash their hands off. The same happened to me. If they cannot be blamed, they don't care. Their attitude with me was, its between you and the dealer(Metro Ford), so you sort it out yourself.
Its really useless talking to those customer rep guys (lokesh and Dhushyanth).
You can try to reach one Mr.Umashankar(GM service, Ford India). Not that he was of much help to me but it doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well for your uncle.
Old 9th July 2007, 12:26   #126
Team-BHP Support

Hey shivasuma, do you have the email-id of Umashankar?

Well I got a chance to speak to my uncle's driver today on phone. He claims that he knows that one should not start the car after water entering. He has mechanical knowledge of the older gen cars.

I have asked Lokesh to atleast help me out on insurance but no reply whatsoever from him.

My uncle knows the hyundai dealer in Kolkata and found out from him that they do help in getting insurance if there is water damage or atleast agree to bear part of the cost in repairs as a goodwill to the customer.

My uncle is stranded with no car and the Ganges guys are calling up saying they cant keep the car at the garage.

Right now he is in talks with the insurance company. lets see what happens.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:06   #127
BHPian

Here is Mr.Umashankar's contact details.
Phone:044-27459258
email:pumashan@ford.com
Hope this helps. Lokesh is just a customer service representative. He has no authority whatsoever to take any decisions. My advise to you is that you contact Umashankar and talk to him.

Suhas

Last edited by shivasuma : 9th July 2007 at 13:17.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It's got something to do with backpressure. that's when water can enter through the exhaust.
I dont think the water can enter the engine thru the exhaust. True, it can travel a long way down the exhaust pipe. But the engine is likely to stall before water reaches it and it probably wont start again even if you crank it. Of course, if u crank it like mad.. there is a possibility.

This has been my practical experience while trying to ford a small river in a 118NE .. the engine stalled in the middle of the river because the exhaust went under the water line.. trying cranking the engine back to life.. it wouldnt start. When we pushed the car out of the river and cranked it.. We were able to start the car and we got bucket loads of water literally flowing out the exhaust !!

Last edited by spadival : 11th July 2007 at 18:33.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:48   #129
Team-BHP Support

hey kolkata guys, need some help. Need to know some private garage where i can get the car repaired.

Ford have washed their hands off it. Any mail sent to them just has one standard reply. It's in the manual and we cannot help you. pls. get the car repaired at ganges or take it out from there.

The insurance guys have surveyed it and say that due to the rains many cars are suffering and other manufacturers have undertaken the repairs if the car is under warranty. they want to know why ford is not doing so. They say that Ford must pay for it. It's dragging on and my uncle is frustrated.

I guess I need to find out how much it would cost for a private garage to repair it to a drivable condition before selling it off.

Pls. help.
Old 18th July 2007, 12:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Private Garages

1. Kochi's Garage - Near 4 No. Pool (contact Kochi)
2. Wheel Works - Near Jogacha, Howrah (contact Azgar)
3. Bright Motors - Jhowtola Road (contact Rafeek)
4. Ajit da's Garage - Bhawanipore - beside Philips Office - (contact Mr. Ajit)
5. Glix / AV Design - Alipore (contact Vinay Daga)

i have Pm-ed you the contact details.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th July 2007 at 12:53.
Old 19th July 2007, 20:53   #131
Senior - BHPian

I would be sceptical about taking a CRDI car outside for engine overhaul. Anyway if interested we can have a workaround. I will PM the details.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:11   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be sceptical about taking a CRDI car outside for engine overhaul.
Even though I am no technical guy,I too agree with this considering the complexities involved in the Crdi engines.

OT:
Is the ford tdci manufactured in India or is it sourced from abroad.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:18   #133
Team-BHP Support

skeptical yes even me too. It's just an alternative if the insurance also falls off.

Anyways the car isn't exactly for keeps. Either ford or any garage, as long as it's drivable. Will be sold immediately after repairs.
Old 19th July 2007, 22:01   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Will be sold immediately after repairs.
Thats sad. Hope you never have kids.
Old 19th July 2007, 22:03   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Thats sad. Hope you never have kids.
you wanna do a good deed and buy it? I could get it towed from kolkata just for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks