Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 12:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

O great thread. I can pour out all my woes here! Thanks Tejas!
I have three issues:
1. Rear brake noise. The rear brakes make a scraping (sometimes screeching, depending on how quickly i press the brakes) noise when i start driving the car in the morning. The noise reduces after driving for a while but never goes away. I've got the brakes cleaned n number of times. But the problem always comes back. Dakshin Honda also could not resolve this problem. Tried out a local mechanic also. Same result. Rather, no result.

2. When i press the clutch, my dashboard rattles a bit!!

3. Worn belt type of noise, occasionally. There is no issue with the belts though. All were replaced not more than 10K kms back. Honda service engineer said its a ball bearing issue and would require major financial investment!

Suggestions?

TIA
Amitoj

EDIT: Tejas, its better to take it to the AC guy only. My car's ac compressor is also weak. But i top it up with ac gas etc every year and it serves me well.

Last edited by amitoj : 14th April 2009 at 12:53.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:28   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivred View Post
i have the same problem in the car, I've noticed that that when the compressor switches in the the rpm dies down to 600, i jus rev the engine till 1200rpm and all the vibrations stop. Extremely irritating. I even replaced my idle speed actuator, but it hasn't made much defference.
Don't rev the car to reduce the vibrations. I think your problem is same as mine. I will keep this thread updated if i get a cost effective solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
O great thread. I can pour out all my woes here! Thanks Tejas!
I have three issues:
1. Rear brake noise. The rear brakes make a scraping (sometimes screeching, depending on how quickly i press the brakes) noise when i start driving the car in the morning. The noise reduces after driving for a while but never goes away. I've got the brakes cleaned n number of times. But the problem always comes back. Dakshin Honda also could not resolve this problem. Tried out a local mechanic also. Same result. Rather, no result.

2. When i press the clutch, my dashboard rattles a bit!!

3. Worn belt type of noise, occasionally. There is no issue with the belts though. All were replaced not more than 10K kms back. Honda service engineer said its a ball bearing issue and would require major financial investment!

Suggestions?

TIA
Amitoj

EDIT: Tejas, its better to take it to the AC guy only. My car's ac compressor is also weak. But i top it up with ac gas etc every year and it serves me well.
How many kms has your car done? have you replaced / checked the brake shoes?

When was the last time your dash was opened? Something may have come loose. Suggest get an AC service done, they will open the dash and that time tell them about the rattling so they will check before refitting. So you save cost of only opening and refitting.

No idea about belt issue.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:29   #63
BHPian

The compressor cannot be repaired. It's a sealed unit. But the AC clutch can be replaced independent of the compressor.
The vibrations can also be due to the AC idler pulley. I recently got mine replaced and the vibrations have definitely reduced now.

Quote:
Worn belt type of noise, occasionally.
Where do you get this noise from?

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 14th April 2009 at 14:31.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:35   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
The compressor cannot be repaired. It's a sealed unit. But the AC clutch can be replaced independent of the compressor.
The vibrations can also be due to the AC idler pulley. I recently got mine replaced and the vibrations have definitely reduced now.
How much did you pay for the idler pulley? How to test that it has been spoilt?
By how much percentage would you say your vibrations have gone down?
Old 14th April 2009, 14:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Good thread Tejas - especially because most of the OHCs would be at the 60-80km mileage level - where problems are bound to crop up..

my OHC has largely been trouble free ( thanks to my sedate driving style ! ) but recently have got this problem of noise coming from the front brakes

got the discs polished but still its coming- finally after some troubleshooting with the mechanic - I am given to understand its because of the caliper pins which are not retracting the pads and hence the pads are touching the discs at a particular point all the time

i am still hunting for the pins in the after market. its been tough but my bro in Gurgaon ( Ankit ) is helping on this.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How much did you pay for the idler pulley? How to test that it has been spoilt?
By how much percentage would you say your vibrations have gone down?
I think I paid around 1.2k + taxes. The AC belt was making lot of noise. So I asked the dealership to check if the belt was properly aligned on compressor pulley. That was when they said that the idler pulley is bad.
I would say the screeching noise is gone away completely and the vibration is less that half of what it used to be before at idle.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How many kms has your car done? have you replaced / checked the brake shoes?

When was the last time your dash was opened? Something may have come loose. Suggest get an AC service done, they will open the dash and that time tell them about the rattling so they will check before refitting. So you save cost of only opening and refitting.
Its done close to 1.2 lakh kms approx. Brake shoes were checked at the last service, which was not done too long ago. The noise always comes back after two to three days of coming back from service. Next service, i am not going to Dakshin Honda. Will try Magnum.

Quote:
Where do you get this noise from?
Ummm... right side, under the hood
I vaguely recall that it was diagnosed related to the weak ac compressor. Somehow i've learnt to live with it most of the times. But at times it gets a bit annoying.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:52   #68
BHPian

You mean right-side if you are facing the car? Since all the belts are on that side. I would get all the belts and pulleys checked so see if it helps.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean right-side if you are facing the car? Since all the belts are on that side. I would get all the belts and pulleys checked so see if it helps.
That is correct. All the belts have been replaced already. Still noise persists.
Checking the pulleys is not going to be as easy as checking or replacing belts.

By the way, where in Bangalore do people get their OHCs serviced? I am not satisfied with Dakshin Honda. How is Magnum?

Last edited by amitoj : 14th April 2009 at 16:31.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:50   #70
BHPian

I generally stick to Dakshin. They are not bad. But it helps if the people at the workshop know you. I would think that fixing these small but niggling issues (rattles, noises etc) is kind of job that takes lot of time to figure out what is wrong and pays very little in terms of labor charges and parts cost. That must be one of the reasons why the dealerships generally don't really care much to fix these.
On the other hand you could write to Honda through their website and mention your problems. I am sure someone would call you in a weeks time and the service center would be waiting to welcome you. Whether the problem will get solved or not is entirely different though
Old 14th April 2009, 17:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Well, let me give Magnum a try. They are relatively new so they might focus more on customer satisfaction. With the NICE road open, it would actually be closer for me than Dakshin.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ummm... right side, under the hood
I vaguely recall that it was diagnosed related to the weak ac compressor. Somehow i've learnt to live with it most of the times. But at times it gets a bit annoying.
Do you hear a clicking or scraping sound? If so, get it checked right away. It will only get worse as you drive and reach a point where you car starts sounding like a tractor. LOL

The compressor on my car gave way at around 45-50K kms, company asked for 25K or so to replace it.

But thanks to iceman (amit), i got the same compressor for just 10.8k. My car has done 68K kms now and the compressor is working perfectly.

But i think the prices have dropped at Honda, A/C compressor has gone from 25K to around 17K or so.

Shan2nu
Old 14th April 2009, 17:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest, Whitefield Honda, my car used to be attended by Srinivas(Advisor). this guy is technically very good.

Last edited by lohithrao : 14th April 2009 at 17:25.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Do you hear a clicking or scraping sound? If so, get it checked right away. It will only get worse as you drive and reach a point where you car starts sounding like a tractor. LOL
No clicking or scraping sound. Just a consistent squeaky pulley type of noise, now that i think of it. And this noise has been there for the past 60K kms. Sometimes it goes away on its own while driving. Sometimes if i start the car and let it idle for a minute or two, it goes away, but again not always.

By the way, when would the clicking/scraping sound come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would suggest, Whitefield Honda, my car used to be attended by Srinivas(Advisor). this guy is technically very good.
Whitefield one is too far for me, am afraid. Would be nice if someone can share their experience of Magnum.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:45   #75
Senior - BHPian

Yep, Give a try at Magnum,
They seems to be good & professional. I had once given my car for service over there, Overall it was a good experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks