Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 13:50   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
3.Problem prone areas of the car - can't drive it slowly.
Yes, with what Ajit has mentioned. As I am experiencing it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Woah, 2nd gear is way off man. My car maxes out at 98kmph. To do 120 in 2nd, youd have to revv your engine to around 8400rpm. And top speed in 5th seems a bit diff to believe (unless there was a slope or tail wind).
Shan2nu
My car will easily do about 100 Kmph in 2nd gear, I have not tried to push the car after that limit and I have tried this crazy thing twice with some RMP still left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
1.Max speed you have achieved: 195kmph
1st Gear : 60
2nd Gear : 120
3rd Gear: 150
4th Gear : 170
5th Gear: 195
Its time to relive the fact; come on tell us what extra you have under hood?

My experience:

1.Max speed you have achieved. 140 is safest
2.Fuel efficiency - city 12-13 Never taken to a highway for a long drive.
3.Problem prone areas of the car - not getting a neat stretch to check its limit.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2008 at 03:50. Reason: 3 smileys.
Old 12th July 2008, 14:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car will easily do about 100 Kmph in 2nd gear, I have not tried to push the car after that limit and I have tried this crazy thing twice with some RMP still left out .
Either your car doesn't cut off above 7100 rpm or you've got speedo error. True speed at 7100 in 2nd is 98kmph.

Shan2nu
Old 13th July 2008, 00:45   #48
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
Hi, I just bought a 2003 Honda City VTEC Type II after selling off my 2001 Honda City 1.3 EXI. I want to more about the car. So I put up a small set of questions which I hope type II VTEC owners would answer.

1.Max speed you have achieved.
2.Fuel efficiency - city, highway, overall.
3.Problem prone areas of the car.
Congrats dude.. good decision.. here's the stuff i've experienced

1.Max speed you have achieved.
195kmh
2.Fuel efficiency - city, highway, overall.
9, 13, 11
3.Problem prone areas of the car.
lots of jerks at lower rpm's (its normal though), rear suspension responding very aggressively at times (its has a mind of its own) so be careful at those high speed turns. thats about it..

Ps: its stinking QUICK!! take care of it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Hope you were saying your prayers too. The Vtec feels dangerously edgy at speeds far lower than that.

LOL.. Ditto!! have you felt the vibration from the frame when braking at speeds above 190.. yikess!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th October 2008 at 15:57. Reason: A bit late, but posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Either your car doesn't cut off above 7100 rpm or you've got speedo error. True speed at 7100 in 2nd is 98kmph.

Shan2nu
Its not speedo error, I think u need to have look at my Garage to know how its making 100kmph in 2nd gear and u wont believe till today I am not able to fell the RPM cut off like other car's, I had a ikon NXT before this but it used to cut off after 6000 RPM.
Old 13th July 2008, 14:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not speedo error, I think u need to have look at my Garage to know how its making 100kmph in 2nd gear and u wont believe till today I am not able to fell the RPM cut off like other car's, I had a ikon NXT before this but it used to cut off after 6000 RPM.
Went through your garage but didn't find anything that might tell me why your car is doing 100 in 2nd.

If it ain't speedo error, then the fuel cut off must have been disabled by the previous owner. You're prob able to revv the car beyond 7100rpm.

Shan2nu
Old 13th July 2008, 14:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
1.Max speed you have achieved. - 170 - it flies after that - 140 is safest
Quote:
Woah, 2nd gear is way off man. My car maxes out at 98kmph. To do 120 in 2nd, youd have to revv your engine to around 8400rpm. And top speed in 5th seems a bit diff to believe (unless there was a slope or tail wind).

Shan2nu
Quote:
Went through your garage but didn't find anything that might tell me why your car is doing 100 in 2nd.

If it ain't speedo error, then the fuel cut off must have been disabled by the previous owner. You're prob able to revv the car beyond 7100rpm.

Shan2nu
Now, what the secret of your car doing 120 in 2nd?
Old 15th July 2008, 12:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
1.Max speed you have achieved: 195kmph
1st Gear : 60
2nd Gear : 120
3rd Gear: 150
4th Gear : 170
5th Gear: 195
The city's I've driven maxed out around 90-95 in 2nd gear (some rev limiter thingy, cuts fuel i guess)

And I thought only diesel cars achieved max speed in overdrive (5th) and petrol car don't do that.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:28   #53

How much did it cost only for the wide body kit?
Old 19th October 2008, 15:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here are the problems / replacements in 50,000 kms with my Vtec:

1. Stock exhaust system always lost its mountings. Never had a problem since I got the free-flow from Automech.
2. Fuel pump went bust once; usual suspect was adulterated fuel.
Since the thread has gotten bumped up, might as well update with two more part failures:

1. Electric fan (cooling) conked off one fine afternoon and needed replacement. Car didn't overheat on the open road, ONLY in bumper to bumper traffic.

2. The infamous air-con blower switch (where positions 1 + 2 don't work) problem came up too. Replaced.

P.S. Correction in my last update, the fuel pump replacement was required due to my brother running the tank dry. Not adulterated fuel.
GTO - Touring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2009, 15:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am too looking for a OHC, but within my budjet i am unable to get a 2003 model.
What if i buy 2001-2002 model? can someone please tell me what kind of jerks? is it similar to fuel getting cut-off or is it that u get a shuddering while picking up in low RPMs. is it like stalling jerks?
is there a way out like remap or some add-on to rectify this?
can a good ffe reduce this effect in low rpms?
Old 30th January 2009, 10:30   #56
BHPian

Hi,

I own a sept 2002 ohc vtec,

Max speed : 195 on speedo

FE: 12-15 in city, 18-20 on highway (conservative driving)

Complaints: 02 conks up very fast (mine conked at 58k)

plus: Like GTO said, no other car under 10L can give you this feel.

Hi Vinay,

please tell us the secret behind your energy! How is your car doing 100in 2nd gear, AFAIK, the gearing of the vtec is such that it cuts out at 98kmph in 2nd gear at 7100 rpm.

Had this not been then in one of the mega shoot outs that Autocar or Overdrive did some years back, would have pushed the vtec (0-100 time of 10.12 secs)above the Merc E240 (0-100 time of 10.10 secs)or maybe run at par with the the S 320 (9.85 secs).

Also understand that the car which was in question here is a "stock" car, that is a car with no modifications to it apart from what came from the showroom.

One more information I would like to share with some fellow tbhpians that the 1.5 exi and the 1.5 vtec share the same gearbox with the exact same gear ratios. There is no difference what so ever in the gearbox.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Old 14th April 2009, 12:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

OHC Troubleshooting Thread

OHCs have always held a special place in the hearts of their owners and is a favorite car on TeamBhp. However, the old honda city (type 1 & 2) have now started to age and most cars have crossed 75000 kms and minor issues have started cropping up. Thus, instead of having multiple threads, let this be a common thread for all OHC related issues.

Now, coming to my problem. My OHC has now started vibrating and causing a lot of noise when the AC is switched on. This problem is not there without the AC or when the compressor cuts off. My AC guy said that the compressor has conked and needs to be replaced. His view is that i should be happy that it lasted 90,000 kms whereas the NHC ones last for approx 45,000 kms.

He said that the pistons are spoilt and i should either change the compressor or use it till it seizes.

Cost of replacement from him with a 2 year warrantee is Rs.18,000 and if done by Honda service (Linkway), it is Rs. 35,000.

Any suggestions, can it be repaired and at what cost and reliability? My AC guy said that the compressor can't be repaired.

Summer is getting bad and i need to get it sorted out. The vibrations are annoying, specially at idle. At normal driving speeds, i vibrations settle and i just get an annoying sound.

Routine AC service was done one month ago and whole dash was opened and insulated. So its not a fan/motor issue. And i stood there the whole time and know that the compressor wasn't substituted.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:39   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My OHC has now started vibrating and causing a lot of noise when the AC is switched on. This problem is not there without the AC or when the compressor cuts off.
Try to put in a little more (10-20%) compressor oil into the system than usual, and see if the vibrations reduce. Maybe the service chap forgot to put in the oil when charging gas. IIRC the OHC has a Denso compressor? Should be repairable. Or a compatible Subros compressor should cost less than half of what was quoted to you at the Honda service centre.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
OHCs have always held a special place in the hearts of their owners and is a favorite car on TeamBhp.
===============
Routine AC service was done one month ago and whole dash was opened and insulated. So its not a fan/motor issue. And i stood there the whole time and know that the compressor wasn't substituted.

i have the same problem in the car, I've noticed that that when the compressor switches in the the rpm dies down to 600, i jus rev the engine till 1200rpm and all the vibrations stop. Extremely irritating. I even replaced my idle speed actuator, but it hasn't made much defference.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:46   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try to put in a little more (10-20%) compressor oil into the system than usual, and see if the vibrations reduce. Maybe the service chap forgot to put in the oil when charging gas. IIRC the OHC has a Denso compressor? Should be repairable. Or a compatible Subros compressor should cost less than half of what was quoted to you at the Honda service centre.
Thanks.

Can the compressor oil be put by myself or i need to take it to the AC guy?

Yes, the OHC has a Denso compressor and my AC guy said the same thing as you and quoted half the price at 18,000. I just don't feel like spending 18K on a car which i plan to sell of within a year or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks