Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2007, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Baleno Problems

Hey guys,

Need your feedback/thoughts on my problem list.

I am a proud owner of a 2005 Baleno, which has covered over 41,000 kms to date. Though, I have been religiously having the car serviced at regular areas 5000-7000 kms range, I am completely foxed by the following intermittent/teething problems;
  • During half or full turns, if I hit a pothole or a stone.. I have been noticing a “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column. While Maruti has changed the complete column the problem still persists.
The explanation provided is that “the pothole forces the hydraulic piston working inside the column to turn in the opposite direction as that of the steering wheel” hence the “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column which is of the hydraulic piston inside the steering column.

Maruti did offer me test drives on three other Baleno’s and all of them have the same problem.

I am told this is a design flaw with Hydraulic assisted Power assisted steering have this problem.
  • Continuous (not over 30-45 minutes from Andheri to Sion) driving in Mumbai’s start and stop traffic forces the engine RPM to fluctuate from the customary 800 -2000, while the needle furiously fluctuates between this range it is extremely difficult to control the vehicle at this time as the horses inside are going wild.
The service stations guys have no answer to this problem; I look forward to tons of suggestions from the experienced members of the forum.
  • I would also like to subdue the wind noise in the cabin. Would any additional sound absorbing material on the floor like “nambda” help?

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2007 at 22:27.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Shivshanker,

The first problem, i would probably disregard, unless someone here has tried a hack fix for it, since it seems to be a design/engineering issue.

As for the fluctuating RPM, do you mean it fluctuates only at idle? or does it flutctuate even if you keep the accelerator pressed slightly?
Is the fluctuation of a constant frequency? (up/down/up/down)
Is the fluctuating continuous (or does it happen once every few minutes / or randomly?)
Do you not expereince these fluctations when you take your car our for a long spin on the highway etc? (or, does it only happen in stop-go traffic?)

At the moment i would suspect a faulty or loose sensor (possibly some temp sensor?), but if you answer the above Qs im sure everyone here will be able to give you more specific answers.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2007 at 22:38.
Old 12th July 2007, 22:43   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Are you sure the sound is from the steering column and not the suspension? Because of the stiff suspension of the baleno the suspension does make that "katak" sound at times on hitting potholes.

Also, if the RMP's are fluctuating then it might be a problem with your camshaft or the cam position sensor. If its the speedo that is fluctuating then its a faulty gearbox worm.

However, since I have gotten a custom suspension job done on the Baleno the sound emanating from the suspension seems to have disappeared. Besides till date i haven't noticed the steering column sound either in v1p3r's, memo's or my baleno. I could be wrong though.
Old 13th July 2007, 19:53   #4
BHPian

Hello all,

Answers to some of the queries raised by Rehaan,

As for the fluctuating RPM, it rarely fluctuates at idle.

The RPM does flutctuate when I keep the accelerator pressed slightly.

The RPM actually goes beresk with he fluctuation ranging between 800-2000 in a up/down/up/down fashion. I have this problem on maybe very few days.

The fluctuating RPM is continuous for approx 5-10 minutes

These fluctations happen only while negotiating peak hour mumbai start stop traffic. (which is pracitally all day), Never on the highways.

bye for now,

shivshanker
Old 15th July 2007, 01:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
During half or full turns, if I hit a pothole or a stone.. I have been noticing a “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column. While Maruti has changed the complete column the problem still persists.
PM @blackpearl for inputs. I recall he had mentioned something similar. A part resolution was probably in getting something (dampner ?) tightened during servicing.
Old 5th August 2007, 18:29   #6
BHPian

Just wanted to share with all my victory ... clutch plates were the bad ones ....

Cheers! Shenoy
Old 5th August 2007, 23:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just wanted to share with all my victory ... clutch plates were the bad ones ....

Cheers! Shenoy
@shivshanker, does that mean that the problem has been solved?
Old 1st September 2007, 02:28   #8
BHPian

Even I have the same issue with my 2006 Baleno 2007. It makes this loud clunking noise from the front left somewhere i really dont know. But that breaks my heart when I hear it. Also if i turn the wheel completely to the left it makes a weird noise as if its releasing some gas outta somewhere. Please help tbhpians... :(
Old 1st September 2007, 04:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's a known issue. Some bolt has to be torqued right. And the gas sound is actually fluid going through the power steering pump. Nothing to worry about.
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:44   #10
BHPian

I dont know if the problem was resolved, but here are my observations.

Sadly I also have the above mentioned issues. The steering column give a clunking sound when i hit a pothole at high speed or sometimes at half turn (mid corner). This does not happen always. I took it to service station (Binz was there along with me) and the guy took it for a ride trying to replicate my issue. We could not. I let it go for the time being.

Uneven idle happens with the AC on for me. Without ac it settles to 750 rpm and rock solid. But with AC it sometimes fluctuates between 750 and 1250 rpms. Dont know if I should be worried about this.

Any advice?
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys hear some whirring noise when the ignition is turned on? Its certainly not the A/C. I am trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.. it sounds like one of those motorised radio antenna running when the ignition is switched on.. But my Baleno doesnt have motorised radio antenna !!
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:28   #12
BHPian

@spadival: that could be your fan running?
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Need your feedback/thoughts on my problem list.

I am a proud owner of a 2005 Baleno, which has covered over 41,000 kms to date. Though, I have been religiously having the car serviced at regular areas 5000-7000 kms range, I am completely foxed by the following intermittent/teething problems;
  • During half or full turns, if I hit a pothole or a stone.. I have been noticing a “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column. While Maruti has changed the complete column the problem still persists.
The explanation provided is that “the pothole forces the hydraulic piston working inside the column to turn in the opposite direction as that of the steering wheel” hence the “metallic clunking” noise from the steering column which is of the hydraulic piston inside the steering column.

Maruti did offer me test drives on three other Baleno’s and all of them have the same problem.

I am told this is a design flaw with Hydraulic assisted Power assisted steering have this problem.
  • Continuous (not over 30-45 minutes from Andheri to Sion) driving in Mumbai’s start and stop traffic forces the engine RPM to fluctuate from the customary 800 -2000, while the needle furiously fluctuates between this range it is extremely difficult to control the vehicle at this time as the horses inside are going wild.
The service stations guys have no answer to this problem; I look forward to tons of suggestions from the experienced members of the forum.
  • I would also like to subdue the wind noise in the cabin. Would any additional sound absorbing material on the floor like “nambda” help?
Hi Shivshanker,

1. I had the "clunking" noise on my Baleno too. It was a 2004 model. I was told that the noise comes from the "collapsable" steering column. It was the collapsable "Z" link that "floats" and made the noise whenever the car goes over potholes under partial steering. Considering that the "collapsable" safety feature needs a floating member - which can very well vibrate freely, I believe this is not a serious problem. It was annoying though.

2. The "RPM oscillation" is due to the ECU hunting for the idling point. I had this problem in my Alto Vx1.1 (2001 model). This happens when sufficient time is not given to engine warm up. It showed up easily on a warm day when you pull out in the morning without warming up the engine. The easy solution was to reset the ECM, whenever you encounter these oscillations. Here is how I did it: When the rpm wanders (at idle or during the run), pull over to the side of the road, shut off the engine, wait for two seconds, start the engine and let it settle to idle (3 more seconds), and then continue the drive. This resets the ECU. This is also an annoying problem though.

3. For wind noise, you may want to check the rubber beading on the windows and windshields. My Baleno didn't have much wind noise, until speeds of 100kmph.
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:42   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Do you guys hear some whirring noise when the ignition is turned on? Its certainly not the A/C. I am trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.. it sounds like one of those motorised radio antenna running when the ignition is switched on.. But my Baleno doesnt have motorised radio antenna !!
Spadival, the sound is from your fuel pump. If you listen carefully it will be coming from the rear left of your car. That is the sound of the fuel pump getting activated. Nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo
Without ac it settles to 750 rpm and rock solid. But with AC it sometimes fluctuates between 750 and 1250 rpms. Dont know if I should be worried about this.
Thats common. Since excess load is put on your engine the revs rise.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd September 2007 at 13:48.
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Sadly I also have the above mentioned issues. The steering column give a clunking sound when i hit a pothole at high speed or sometimes at half turn (mid corner). This does not happen always.
The famous katak sound of Baleno is very well known.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ion-sound.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks