Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2016, 15:52   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Guys, any easy method to get rid of a lizard, that had entered into the car (Skoda Rapid). My wife drives it to her office; Today while leaving her office, it had jumped into the car, when she opened the back door, for keeping her things on the seat.

She is so scared of lizards! But somehow she managed to reach home.

After she reached home, I tried to locate it and noticed it was in the rear seat floor mat. Before, I could take the mat out, it moved to the front and somewhere hiding in the area around floor pedals, which made my wife, even more scary!!

Any solution?

An idea - Make yourself an omelette. While doing so, break the egg shells into nice halves. Let the shells dry. Place the shells in different corners of the car. And leave the doors open for a couple of hours. Reptiles evacuate areas where they find bigger eggs than theirs. Or something like that.

It works at home as well. With some thought, they can be hidden well from the existing decor.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:11   #1157
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Has anyone tried No Entry : Rat Repellent Spray for Cars?

Link: http://www.amazon.in/No-Entry-Repellent-Spray-Cars/dp/B01ELA2G6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467264100&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+repellent

Its marked as the No.1 Bestseller in this category on Amazon, but has just one product review!

Also, how effective is a rat mesh? Are there downsides to it like additional rattling after the install? Are there any reliable guys in Bangalore who could do a good rat mesh install on a Chevy Beat?
Old 25th July 2016, 21:43   #1158
BHPian

Hi. I posted this message on a different thread also, not knowing this thread existed.

My friend lives in Bangalore. His 2014 Honda Accord had RAT problems and ofcourse the wires in engine bay were chewed. Now AC has stopped working and various other dashboard lights have also stopped working / started blinking / alarms keep sounding. Honda ASS says that it will cost at least Rs. 50,000 to replace wires and will take 2-3 months to source them. Is that kind of true? Any recommendations if apart from Honda ASS, there are any other reliable places in Bangalore where wires can be replaced at a cheaper cost?
Old 25th July 2016, 23:52   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Honda ASS says that it will cost at least Rs. 50,000 to replace wires and will take 2-3 months to source them. Is that kind of true? Any recommendations if apart from Honda ASS, there are any other reliable places in Bangalore where wires can be replaced at a cheaper cost?

I feel the cost is on the higher side, It had costed me 22,000 rs to change the total wiring of my XUV 500 2-3 years back, They might be quoting you higher price maybe because they have to source it, Give a shot trying at other service centres too, And kindly go through this thread for solutions which your friend might benefit from after getting his car repaired and keeping it safe from rats.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 00:18   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Hi. I posted this message on a different thread also, not knowing this thread existed.

My friend lives in Bangalore. His 2014 Honda Accord had RAT problems and ofcourse the wires in engine bay were chewed. Now AC has stopped working and various other dashboard lights have also stopped working / started blinking / alarms keep sounding. Honda ASS says that it will cost at least Rs. 50,000 to replace wires and will take 2-3 months to source them. Is that kind of true? Any recommendations if apart from Honda ASS, there are any other reliable places in Bangalore where wires can be replaced at a cheaper cost?
For my Civic i was quoted 31k which i tried to get done through insurance. My insurance co had also approved the claim but i did not go through as the parts were taking insane amount of time to arrive. So i cancelled the claim and towed the car to my garage guy who fixed the issues in just 8k. I would rather have your friend go to a good and trusted garage rather than goto HASS.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 02:06   #1161

I have heard so many options (ranging from inconvenient to insane) for rat problems in car but from what I have heard only few rat repellent and tobacco bars which can be used as a rat repellent has worked out for few people very nicely.
I never spoke to anyone trying the ultrasound devices but I have my doubts.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:35   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Guys, with monsoons kicking in across North India, I realized a rat has made my Fortuner's underbody a temporary home. Luckily, no visible damage to any wires under the hood so far, however I would like to understand the best way to protect the vehicle from rat damage. So far I have rubbed a few cigarettes in and around bonnet space to repel the rodents. However I saw some rat hair under the car the other day and I am not sure if tobacco smell is actually having any impact on them.
Old 26th July 2016, 16:46   #1163
BHPian

I faced the same shock like most of you when I discovered that rats have marked their territory inside my sparkling clean Altis.
I never leave any food items in the car.
Discovered that they have had fun in the glove box as well! Ample footprints in the engine bay.
That was it, I got 2 types of rat poisons : both where the rat has to go out and die, or something in those lines.
The first one was the industrial grade stuff I got from the office facilities people. Kept it under the car and it was gone the second day.
The other one looked like a energy bar. Broke it in 3 pieces and kept in the front and rear footwell.
The rear footwell ones have been poked/munched at.
I have continued using the rest of the energy bar. I am ready to send the entire rat community a strong message" Don't Mess with me, wokay!"
Old 26th July 2016, 16:59   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I am ready to send the entire rat community a strong message" Don't Mess with me, wokay!"
The rat community isn't that social and I doubt your message will reach the entire community. The poison will kill the rats that have discovered your car and found it cozy. Nothing stopping other rats from discovering your car's coziness. So think of something preventive. Either block access or repel them away. And don't ask me how . You have come to the right thread.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 17:26   #1165
Senior - BHPian

There is no complete Solution to Rats.
The best thing you can do is minimize the possibility of your car getting attacked.
Tobacco never worked for me, Mesh cannot completely cover underbody, rat poison is a good thing to use to an extent.

The best solution which I have found till now is changing your parking spot if car is stationary for more than 2 days.

Last edited by silverado : 26th July 2016 at 17:32.
Old 26th July 2016, 17:31   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The rat community isn't that social and I doubt your message will reach the entire community. The poison will kill the rats that have discovered your car and found it cozy. Nothing stopping other rats from discovering your car's coziness. So think of something preventive. Either block access or repel them away. And don't ask me how. You have come to the right thread.
Ah indeed.
I am still having hangovers of Ratatouille.
I do have to discover the entry point though.
There were pug marks on the engine cover and engine bay. Lower glovebox has been vandalized and pellets all across front and back.
They have even chewed up the classy hessian carpet at the back.
I don't think Altis has direct entry points within the cabin. The boot is very unlikely since I don't remember seeing any holes. (Are there any??)
That leaves the engine bay. Driveshaft and AC plumbing would be the primary entry points. I have to recheck them. Any suggestions anyone?
That said, I have started running daily checks in the engine bay for any frayed wires etc. Last time, these cretins had chewed off the horn & ABS wires in my Punto!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 19:31   #1167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Ah indeed.
I am still having hangovers of Ratatouille.
I do have to discover the entry point though.
There were pug marks on the engine cover and engine bay. Lower glovebox has been vandalized and pellets all across front and back.
They have even chewed up the classy hessian carpet at the back.
I don't think Altis has direct entry points within the cabin. The boot is very unlikely since I don't remember seeing any holes. (Are there any??)
That leaves the engine bay. Driveshaft and AC plumbing would be the primary entry points. I have to recheck them. Any suggestions anyone?
That said, I have started running daily checks in the engine bay for any frayed wires etc. Last time, these cretins had chewed off the horn & ABS wires in my Punto!

Check around the steering shaft in the driver foot-well area. A/C fresh air inlet is another obvious source if you've got rats reaching the glovebox.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 20:02   #1168
BHPian

In line to this rat menace on my baleno, I once opened the bonnet, put my head into the engine bay to see if I can find any traces or damages to wires. The tobacco that I had tied there was missing. The thread was intact though. When I gave up and withdrew to close the bonnet, the brat (rat) just peeped out of the heat insulation material under the bonnet winking his/her eyes. I almost fell down. Either out of madness or out of vengeance, I slammed the bonnet hard thinking it would fall off. The next moment, my wife yelled at me for slamming so hard for it might cause damage to locks or so. She pushed me aside, loosened the clips that were holding the material to bonnet and left the bonnet open. We sat at our balcony and watched the puny brat fall out of it on to the engine. We then went down. Wifey closed the bonnet, asked me to take the car out of parking, sprinkled chilly powder all under and asked me to park it back again. I remember we doing this for about 3 or 5 days. She also kept an open chilly powder packet in the glove box and trunk. Phew!
Not sure if it did the trick but I did not find the rats vandalising in the car.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 17:12   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Just came to hear about this from a friend-

Spraying pepper powder inside the car (engine compartment?, and under body areas) or suspected areas could get the rat away. Not sure whether it works or not. Just in case if anyone there experimenting out with different ways, may please try this out as well.
Old 27th July 2016, 18:07   #1170
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how but people really think these days, "Tobacco" is the best cure for keeping away rats, If the rats are those big ones, The smell of tobacco doesn't them, Also the smell of tobacco goes away after some time, So just having that packet stuck or kept hanging is no use, Once the smell is gone would anyways come back if by chance they ran away by the smell of it which is highly unlikely, Guys please go through the thread and invest your time and money in something which is much more reliable like the ideas we have tested out and it works fine and for a long term. Please use tobacco only during emergency and as a short term safety only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks