Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 12:35   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Advaith? I had checked with Advaith Bannerghatta and they had said they cannot do this....
It was done at Advaith Rajajinagar. Please dont take it as an official work at the service centre. Since this issue is widely seen in the city, couple of them do this wrapping work on the major cables. So there is no billing on it. If you need contact numbers, I will get it when his driver returns
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:43   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Any BMW owners here experienced a rat issue ? I find most cables are already well insulated, some of them are metal casing itself, others are hard plastic which is tough to open even with a cutter.
Attachment 1690934
I had a regular visitor that made it a point to deposit its poo on the BMW logo on the engine cover (F30 320d). I decided to discourage this and tried the following in order and sometimes in combination( rather expensive ):
1. Rat cage ( did not catch any)
2. Napthalene balls in a bag - no effect
3. some rat repellant spray - no effect
4. Hemito Motion sensing LED strip light - no effect ; I thought a flash of light would discourage the rat
5. PCI Glue pads on the engine cover - salutory effect as this inhibits the rats
6. TechTrendz Ultrasonic C size battery operated - in combination with glue pads , seems to keep rats away -but not independently tested
7. Bayer Rocumin rat killer cake ( from Amazon) . this was kept on the glue pads in case the rat was stuck to the glue pad and needed to be put out of misery.
8. Peppermint oil - used in combination with 6& 7 so keeps the rat away but not independently tested
9. Agricom rat killer trap ( from Amazon - never got to use this as there were some stray dogs around that might have set it off. It is the most violent killer trap I have seen - can snap your finger if you are not careful).

So glue pads on (PCI), Allin peppermint oil, Tech Trendz ultrasonic oscillator all from Amazon seem to inhibit the rats from visiting if you place these for a period ( 1 to 2 weeks ) close to you see the droppings

A rat can chew BMW wheel sensor cables and more, make no mistake about that.
Ravich is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:57   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
I had a regular visitor.....Agricom rat killer trap...A rat can chew BMW wheel sensor cables and more, make no mistake about that.
Thank you for the post. Good that you told me, I have not checked the wheel sensors since 10 days !!! We have the same Agricom trap, we had bought it for the home balcony issue, but rats never came to the house after amazon delivered this product
I sprayed 'Nichem no entry' last night. I expected too much from this product. Its hard to spray and the throw is very short, making it tough to reach the internal empty areas of the engine bay. It really stinks, so I think even the security guys will move away from my car (they used to sit and snore near my hood during night shifts). I also found my wife's Figo headlight wires were cut 3 days back, she didn't know about it (typical lady driver, she will not know even if the engine is taken away by the rats) !! I connected those wires by myself as it was visible easily. Sprayed Figo bay also with Nichem. Curious to see more foot prints after the spray. Will report details soon
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 23:21   #1294
BHPian

I bought this at the dealership. No rat problems at my place - for safety only. The dealership (Advaith Bannerghatta service is awesome for hyundai) highly recommended this on
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20171103wa0002.jpg  

bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:31   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I bought this at the dealership....for safety only...
Wow, 6 Bottles of spray just for 'Safety" ? I think we need to google on 'rat phobia' and find a solution

Nichem No Entry Update : There is no sign of any rat presence since 1 week after the initial use, I find the spray mechanism is too hard. You need to press really hard but the quantity sprayed is too little each press. Eventually your index finger will start paining though the action needs to go on for 10 mts or more to cover the engine bay. Even the throw is too short, tough to reach the deeper areas between engine and other parts.

Last edited by shajufx : 6th November 2017 at 15:32.
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 19:10   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 6 Bottles of spray just for 'Safety" ? I think we need to google on 'rat phobia' and find a solution

Nichem No Entry Update : There is no sign of any rat presence since 1 week after the initial use, .
6 bottles of spray on the shelf of the Advaith Hyundai showroom. I only bought one of them!

Thanks for updating about Nichem No entry spray. Will order the same
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 09:52   #1297
BHPian

So, hey! joining the anti-mickey club.

Wife called and said that the CEL and the coil were both on. Went to check it out. Open the hood and one fat fella with a tail jumps right out from between the cladding. Saw that it has bitten the wire to the battery and a few other areas.

Called up VW Elite Hosur. They advised me to not drive and get it in a flatbed. Called RSA (ICICI) and they were quick enough to get the car there. Went along with the tow truck driver.

VW evaluated the wiring and say it's going to costs 10k + labor. :( Have said yes since there is no other option and I am not confident giving it to a FNG for such stuff.

Now, I am on to the tobacco leaves and rat spray stuff. Thanks for sharing your feedback / reviews on the rat sprays and tobacco. I guess I'll do both.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:02   #1298
BHPian

Recently shifted home and for the first time in 43 years of vehicle ownership, am facing this rat menace. It has started on the fuel pipe of my activa. My garage is a nice and cozy place for the rat and we only keep the two wheeler there. Our cars are out on the road due to the weird entrance to our garage. The rat has bitten the tube 4 times. I have now got a metal spring wound over the fuel pipe and have also moved my bike to a more open area of my house compound. This seems to have worked and no issue for about 5 days now. I think if we illuminate the space and make it unsafe for the rat to move about freely, that can be a part solution.
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:08   #1299
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to K Ganesan for sharing!

Quote:
Please find attached my amateur rat proofing. After suffering horribly from huge rats, I made this jugaad for about Rs. 2000. A layer of inner PVC mesh (to protect the paint) and an outer one of fine metal mesh (available from hardware stores). Working fine, but needs to be tied and removed every time.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat_mesh1.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat_mesh2.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat_mesh3.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 18:11   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nichem No Entry Update : There is no sign of any rat presence since 1 week after the initial use, I find the spray mechanism is too hard. You need to press really hard but the quantity sprayed is too little each press. Eventually your index finger will start paining though the action needs to go on for 10 mts or more to cover the engine bay.
Its been 2 months, there is no sign of any rat footprints till now, I must say, Nichem No Entry wins considering the ease of executing this compared to the metal fencing or protection wrap etc. Its cheaper and saves time.

Lot of people asked me if the AC fan takes the smell into the cabin: Absolutely NO. Dont worry about that part, its a worry without any base. I strongly recommend this spray as it worked for me and I have taken 2 months so say this confidently
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 23:44   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Its been 2 months, there is no sign of any rat footprints till now, I must say, Nichem No Entry wins considering the ease of executing this compared to the metal fencing or protection wrap etc. Its cheaper and saves time.

Lot of people asked me if the AC fan takes the smell into the cabin: Absolutely NO. Dont worry about that part, its a worry without any base. I strongly recommend this spray as it worked for me and I have taken 2 months so say this confidently
I second this opinion, I too bought it almost the same time and my car stays parked for days together and there has been no intrusion since the spray is used.

I make it a point to re-spray once in 3 weeks atleast, and it's been good enough so far.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:11   #1302
BHPian

Hi, I have been using Autoguard rat spray for the past few years on my Ertiga and Octavia. It seems to work pretty well. After spraying the engine bay the effect lasts for about a week or two during winters and monsoon, peak season for rat infestation in my area. The spray can is about 500ml and is expensive at about 1950/- but I think it is still worth when you consider the damage risk to your vehicle by rats. Also thankfully the product does not stink and has a pleasant sandalwood odour. Check this link..http://www.noratsincar.com
Old 11th January 2018, 15:21   #1303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARvalho View Post
Hi, I have been using Autoguard rat spray
======
the product does not stink and has a pleasant sandalwood odour. Check this link..http://www.noratsincar.com
GTO suggested this after the Endy got bitten in the beginning of the year, have sprayed it twice with a gap of about 3 months and an engine bay wash. So far so good. Yes it is very easy to apply and no harmful chemical stuff.
Old 11th January 2018, 15:22   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARvalho View Post
Hi, I have been using Autoguard rat spray for the past few years on my Ertiga and Octavia. It seems to work pretty well. After spraying the engine bay the effect lasts for about a week or two during winters and monsoon, peak season for rat infestation in my area. The spray can is about 500ml and is expensive at about 1950/- but I think it is still worth when you consider the damage risk to your vehicle by rats. Also thankfully the product does not stink and has a pleasant sandalwood odour. Check this link..http://www.noratsincar.com
I've also used Autoguard on both of my cars. So far, so good. I use an application of the spray once in about 2 months for each car and definitely after an engine wash. The can at Rs.1950/- lasts me for about a year. I've tried naphthalene balls, tobacco, etc.

Before using Autoguard (and only using tobacco etc.), I've had only one occasion when there was a rat in my engine bay. Waking up in the morning, decided to check the engine bay and this bugger was sitting near the cowl of the car looking at me. However, it was not very active which led me to believe he was probably poisoned already. Anyway, I tried to drive him off and he disappeared near the wheel well.

After trying to drive him off for about an hour. decided to take the car to the service centre - they opened the bumper, wheel well cladding etc but he had disappeared! Probably fell off the engine bay on to the road when I was driving to the service centre!

Autoguard was recommended to me by a friend whose building had some rats. He used to spray the engine bay, the wheel wells and around his parking slot. He claims there has been no issue ever since.

The only problem I have is that nowhere on the can it shows what ingredients are in the formulation and that worries me a bit.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:07   #1305
BHPian

I am now a casualty of two of my cars being affected, one by a rat biting the fuel line and another by cats or rats dislodging the fuel pipe and biting up the foam on the bumper. I was away for 10 days and came back to find two of my three disabled this way. Yet to get the damage report.
I came across an ultrasonic device called carcat. Any feedback on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks