Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 19:13   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Any other recommendation? ...

Maybe this earth is a rather more important and this is big no-no, but I had much less open wire to work with last time I patched a chewed-through headlight cable.
Old 16th June 2018, 19:45   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
They said it would be claimed in the insurance (RS 30,000) so I would have to shell out around rs 2000 probably.
Any other recommendation? And the funny thing is I had booked the 3M appointment for the rodent repellant coating on Monday
Which insurance company do you have? Was Rat bite mentioned specifically in that? For the service centre to say it would be covered under Insurance is pretty rare!
Old 17th June 2018, 11:50   #1353
BHPian

Re: 3M Rat Repellent Coating - Launched at Rs. 1058

I am sorry to go slightly off the topic, after I started reading this thread I suddenly thought 'Why not use the ultra sonic rodent repellent?' and a quick google such showed me products like this on Amazon!

This can be directly connected to the battery and they generate ultrasonic sound waves which humans cannot hear and they scare the rats away!!

I am not sure how effective this method will be! have anyone tried this in their cars? The only downside I can think of is when the car is parked for long duration this might drain the battery, however for normal usage I see the power consumption is very negligible.

Last edited by Naveen_0181 : 17th June 2018 at 11:54.
Old 19th June 2018, 16:21   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Rat bit off fuel pump wire on my Baleno.They had to take off entire fuel tank, after which they coated all the wires with steel wire as protection.

Total cost including towing - Rs3500
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 20:34   #1355
Senior - BHPian

This is the scene with my car now.

Since last couple of weeks, every night a rat/rats have made my engine their dinner table with half eaten ripe mangoes seen every day inside.

Thankfully till date, nothing has been bitten related to the car by the rats in my parking lot, but a rubber tube cover was bitten when I was at Chennai.

3M rat repellent spray was done, a sticky pad kept on the floor, rat poison cakes kept near the wheels and the hood open with the light on so they don't have a dark space to go to.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-55da1a4a5691463e94c24c0119740d5b.jpeg  

Old 21st June 2018, 20:47   #1356
BHPian

The drawback with putting rat poison in or near the car is the possibility that they might choose to die somewhere inside the car. You will only know once the stench reaches you. Just my thoughts.
Old 21st June 2018, 21:36   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The drawback with putting rat poison in or near the car is the possibility that they might choose to die somewhere inside the car. You will only know once the stench reaches you. Just my thoughts.
I always had opposite experience, apparently the rat cakes make the rat to get out into open place and die. Something to do with making them thirsty or need sun, i forgot. If i remember correct this is mentioned in the pack of Mortien rat cake.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 20:53   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Which insurance company do you have? Was Rat bite mentioned specifically in that? For the service centre to say it would be covered under Insurance is pretty rare!
Mine is royal Sundaram, yup it is very rare, luckily it was approved
Old 29th June 2018, 15:07   #1359
BHPian

@Jaggu - Apparently Mortein cakes affects a particular enzyme in rats that makes them extremely thirsty. This thirst however cannot be quenched so easily. So apparently if there is water around the area, the rat will go and drink huge quantities and live for some more time. Eventually it will die but if there is a lot of water available to drink, it may take a long time.
Old 29th June 2018, 16:29   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This is the scene with my car now.

Since last couple of weeks, every night a rat/rats have made my engine their dinner table with half eaten ripe mangoes seen every day inside.

Thankfully till date, nothing has been bitten related to the car by the rats in my parking lot, but a rubber tube cover was bitten when I was at Chennai.

3M rat repellent spray was done, a sticky pad kept on the floor, rat poison cakes kept near the wheels and the hood open with the light on so they don't have a dark space to go to.
Lucky that the car is not attacked. And I see other cars parked near by which generally will not be harmed at all, that is when i curse luck. I have this experience myself. The rats prefer only my car over other cars in the neighborhood.
My experience so far with my alto and Tiago:
Tried tobacco leaf--> no use.
Tried industrial fertilizers--> worked few day and then menace surfaced again.
Tried rat repellent from amazon--> rats seemed immune to these repellent
Used sticky pad--> caught first time the rat and after that the rats were alert.
Used rat poison cake--> rats left them untouched.

One fine week found dead rats in the garden after eating the poison cake from the garden and not from car. Since then have no traces of rats near car. Have fixed a mesh between cabin and engine bay in my tiago.

What I haven't tried so far are ultrasonic rodent repellent, electric shock carpet under engine bay, electric shock wire circuit under the hood and the local jugad of water pipe with lot of nails pierced through it so the rats get hurt when they crawl in ( saw a post on this jugaad in this thread somewhere). Hope to never get a chance to explore these!

-UB
Old 29th June 2018, 16:42   #1361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
@Jaggu - Apparently Mortein cakes affects a particular enzyme in rats that makes them extremely thirsty.
The active ingredient is not an enzyme but a rodenticide called 'Bromadiolone'. It is an anti-coagulant. Death is caused by internal haemorrhaging and this possibly results in shortness of breath + thirst which causes the rat to go outdoors for relief where it eventually dies.

More info:

Bromadiolone

Obviously this works on other creatures too including pets and humans so it is important to keep any product with this rodenticide away from them. Mortein rat "cake" can also be consumed by street cats or dogs so please be very selective where you place them. I have used it quite effectively to kill a rat that somehow got into my home. It was found dead a few days later in the garage.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2018 at 16:45.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 16:11   #1362
Distinguished - BHPian

Makes me wonder if this is the reason why rats and other rodents attack car wiring with such gusto!

Automobile soy based wiring S?

Quote:
A federal judge dismissed a class-action lawsuit against Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. that sought compensation for damage caused by rodents chewing through insulation for engine wiring.

Filed in August 2016, the lawsuit said the insulation is soy-based rather than petroleum-based, which makes it attractive to hungry rodents. Automakers began using soy-based products several years ago in an initiative to make their products more environmentally friendly.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 15:06   #1363
BHPian

So our Mercedes CLA was victim to a rodent attack. Started throwing up "Check brake pad wear" error (despite having only 7k kms on the pads). I decided to take it to the dealership anyway since I was to do a long trip the next day. Upon reaching the dealership I got 2 more errors ("ABS not available" "ESP not available"). Upon inspection they figured out that rats had eaten up some wiring and some plastic parts including air intake, plastic trim around wipers and the heat insulation under the hood. Thankfully we have the rodent protection plan as part of our insurance.

What would be a tried and tested product to prevent further attacks? So far have got only the usual tobacco packet suggestions. Can't keep rat poison around as we have dogs in the yard.
Old 9th July 2018, 15:33   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman1987 View Post
What would be a tried and tested product to prevent further attacks? So far have got only the usual tobacco packet suggestions. Can't keep rat poison around as we have dogs in the yard.
Check out below links.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rs-1058-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4426257
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 20:36   #1365
BHPian

Here's my solution - L-R - Sunny, Poppy and Cherry - they ensure all the cars in the parking lot are rodent free. A little milk every day. Seen here basking on my car!

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20180725-10.37.08.jpeg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks