Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2018, 17:01   #1321
BHPian

I have made a native alternate for this menace.

I bought a bunch of fresh, dried tobacco roots, twisted them with thread, put them in a netted bag, ( one which comes covered over apples) . Took tie clips, used in electrical wiring and ti d two of them in opposite corner below the bonnet. It's cost is less then Rs 100/.and very effective too, need to replace it twice a year. Rats scoot away from their smell.
Natt1948 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 18:20   #1322
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Looking for help.

Fellow BHPians from Bangalore, please point me in the right direction where I can buy some tobacco leaves/roots in Bangalore. I read a few posts here that suggested the local betel leaf/tobacco stores, checked with them around the 560079 area, but efforts were in vain.

Help please.
Old 1st April 2018, 18:37   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitish.h View Post
Looking for help.
I read a few posts here that suggested the local betel leaf/tobacco:
I strongly advise against using tobacco, please refer my previous post(below) about disadvantages of same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4362503
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 18:55   #1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I strongly advise against using tobacco, please refer my previous post(below) about disadvantages of same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4362503
It was unfortunate that you had to face this rodent problem. I had faced similar issues with my Indigo a few years back. Using Tobacco pouches, the usual Gaaychhap, did in fact help in reducing the problem on my vehicle without having to encounter the problems you have listed. To get rid of the smell inside the cabin, ventilation and car perfume should do the trick.
We gave it a thought on a broader scope. Since all cars parked inside our premises were facing the problem one way or another, we decided to do a pest control treatment in the whole compound. Taking into account that this was to be done on yearly contract and the society will be paying for it, the overall cost per tenant was very less.
Also trying to keep the area under your car relatively clean and free of that green moss which grows due to moisture will cut on the menace of rodents much better.
Old 6th April 2018, 15:14   #1325
BHPian

In my region I feel rats have mutated. They are highly resistant to tobacco leaf, rat sprays, ratol or even industrial fertilizer/chemicals.
Our month old Tiago was the victim when we saw some foam bits in passenger compartment. Our Alto too underwent cable harness repair twice.

To my surprise and frustration only our cars attract rodents. Next to my car stays unprotected wagon R and i10 which are unharmed

Luckily, strong rat poison worked. killed 2 rats and saw their bodies in the garden after which there was full stop to all the menace. Last 80days no signs of foot print or any bite marks in engine bay too.

Killing them is the best way. Have not tried metal brush though.

-UB
Old 6th April 2018, 16:26   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Killing them is the best way. Have not tried metal brush though.
I have tried everything and the brush deterrent is the best, followed by poison. I was also able to kill the rats with poison. They had attacked my swift four times and my TUV twice. The spray didn't work at all, neither did the wet tobacco.
Old 19th May 2018, 18:13   #1327

Rodent issue with Freelander

I have a 2014 Freelander. Within one year of purchase, it failed to start. The vehicle had to be towed away. It was found that rodents had eaten the wires. It was surprising because the same garage had an Accord for years. I had also an Innova, a Captive and even a Tata Nano at different points of time. None if them ever had a rodent problem. Anyway, the service people could give niether an explanation nor a solution. Three years later, last week I faced exactly the same issue. This time other than the wires, rodents have even eaten the papers in the glove compartment. The had to be towed away. It is rodent issue once again. There is no explanation why it happened despite the fact none of my other cars ever had the problem. Considering that an SUV is intended to be taken off road, including jungles, I find it difficult to accept that it is not an engineering issue. The dealer refuses to even acknowledge that this is unusual.

I am looking for inputs from people with similar experience. Is there a solution? If not how do I force the maker to take the issue seriously and resolve it?
Old 19th May 2018, 18:37   #1328
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rodent issue with Freelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattam Dasgupta View Post
I find it difficult to accept that it is not an engineering issue.

I am looking for inputs from people with similar experience. Is there a solution? If not how do I force the maker to take the issue seriously and resolve it?
Hold your horses, buddy. This is a problem with the 'environment' you park your car in and has nothing to do with the manufacturer. Search through this thread and you'll see that all brands are affected...right from Datsun to Mercedes.

Things that have worked for me:

1. Tar Brush Border

2. Honda's rat-repellent tape.

3. Autoshine rat repellent spray (3M also recently entered this segment).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 08:46   #1329

Thanks. I will explore all the options. The reason I had doubts about engineering is because in the same garage none of the other makes are affected. Supposedly, use of certain ecofriendly sheathing of wires are susceptible.
Old 20th May 2018, 11:05   #1330
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattam Dasgupta View Post
I will explore all the options. The reason I had doubts about engineering is because in the same garage none of the other makes are affected.
Don't know why, rats love some cars and don't touch the others. My Civic was damaged by rats, but my Sunny and Jeep (in the same driveway) were left untouched. However, I know of Sunnys that were affected elsewhere.

Honda was sued for using insulation that attracted rats - link.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 12:54   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't know why, rats love some cars and don't touch the others. My Civic was damaged by rats, but my Sunny and Jeep (in the same driveway) were left untouched. However, I know of Sunnys that were affected elsewhere.
Yes, really cannot figure that out.

My dad's old gen Swift is parked right next to my car and the rat always entered my Figo's engine bay. With the Figo gone, the rat problem has gone as well (touchwood), but now the new issue as I found couple of days back was the resident cat has entered the engine bay of my Aspire and I have no idea how it managed to do so in a tightly packed engine bay.
I found this out only once I opened the hood for the emission check and saw cat fur all over.

I need to check if the Freestyle's bottom guard which they are selling as an accessory will fit the Aspire and get it fixed before I get the building's darling cat roasted in my engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-92e9fe87771740059b9f4d5135816e38.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 17:19   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
..but now the new issue as I found couple of days back was the resident cat has entered the engine bay of my Aspire and I have no idea how it managed to do so in a tightly packed engine bay. I found this out only once I opened the hood for the emission check and saw cat fur all over.
I have had a resident cat under the car's hood for a very long time & still do. At one time there was also a shrew which used to mess the place up and made it stink to high heaven. The hood insulation is covered with cat fur till today and I haven't bothered to take it off. Plus generations of the cat's kittens have made themselves at home in my car!

The good thing? The smell of cats/cat fur and shrews keep rats away. The negative is obviously the fur (the shrew is no longer a guest) and an overhead i.e. I have to check the engine before I start it. The last thing I want is one of these critters being hurt or killed if it gets caught in any moving part(s) of the engine.

So, not to worry, cats under the hood is good news.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 20:28   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The smell of cats/cat fur and shrews keep rats away.
This is very true. The pheromones that cats release on tyres and plastics especially the four corners of car helps to protect it from rats. Cat spray is good, not dog spray. Your car will be considered as a Trojan horse by dogs of other territory.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 16:58   #1334

I started my i20 this morning to find the power almost dead in 2nd gear. The car being only an year old, I was in panic Called the customer care and was sent a technician.
The ‘ECM assembly unit’ was bitten by rats !! I was relieved that it was only a rat bite.
The vehicle was towed to Blue Hyundai and then came the shocker – “We cannot replace some wires in the unit. Entire ECM unit should be replaced and will cost ~Rs. 60,000 !! “
I then ask the technician if the wires can be locally repaired for electrical continuity. He is checking this with the electrician and will update me tomorrow

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20180604wa0000.jpg
Prashanth_mys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 17:07   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth_mys View Post
I started my i20 this morning to find the power almost dead in 2nd gear. The car being only an year old, I was in panic Called the customer care and was sent a technician.
The ‘ECM assembly unit’ was bitten by rats !! I was relieved that it was only a rat bite.
The vehicle was towed to Blue Hyundai and then came the shocker – “We cannot replace some wires in the unit. Entire ECM unit should be replaced and will cost ~Rs. 60,000 !! “
I then ask the technician if the wires can be locally repaired for electrical continuity. He is checking this with the electrician and will update me tomorrow
Checkout the various methods used to prevent from this happening again which are mentioned here at Team-BHP, Also suggest you to get it done outside but at a trusted workshop, Most of the times official service centres will only push to replace everything instead of repairing.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks