Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2019, 17:27   #1411
BHPian

My car cleaner managed to get Rat trap glue boards from his office something like what's shown in the link below.
https://m.snapdeal.com/product/crown...SABEgJLrfD_BwE
We managed to catch two large rodents alive right under the car. Mind you that the glue is very very sticky and there is very little chance of the rodent escaping.
Unfortunately they were just 2 of the unlucky ones, seems like there are many more around.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 23:13   #1412
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

I have been using the Tobacco leaves and naphthalene balls combination on my vehicles, and few more methods as described in my below video:

Also I continue using the 3M spray: details HERE (3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4))
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 00:34   #1413
BHPian

Napthalene balls seem to work to an extent. Of late, a cat sleeps under my car most of time. I guess the problem is solved for time being.
jayguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 13:06   #1414

Quote:
pcpranav: I have been using the Tobacco leaves and naphthalene balls combination on my vehicles, and few more methods as described in my below video:
I have used the same method. But yesterday, when I opened up the bonnet, I saw the rat just hovering calmly over those socks & tobacco sachets. Any other proven methods? They seemed to have got immune to tobacco !

I am thinking of having boxes with sharp pins all over. Will post pics once done !
rashmin.mewada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 14:17   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashmin.mewada View Post
I am thinking of having boxes with sharp pins all over. Will post pics once done !
I have used flask cleaning brushes with bristles and used plastic ties to place them all over the engine bay of my swift. This is a deterrent. There are metallic bristled brushes too but I feel these bootle brush bristles are good enough as well since they irritate the eye and possible skin of the rodent.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 14:24   #1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have used flask cleaning brushes with bristles and used plastic ties to place them all over the engine bay of my swift. This is a deterrent. There are metallic bristled brushes too but I feel these bootle brush bristles are good enough as well since they irritate the eye and possible skin of the rodent.
It would be great if I can see them in pics. I am going to put atleast one box with pins all over by today itself. Also please suggest how many & on which parts did you keep those brushes.

My society is severely attacked by rats. 4 cars & a few scootys have been the victims including my i20 ! I have already shelled out INR 2500 on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rashmin.mewada : 5th August 2019 at 14:43.
rashmin.mewada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 20:17   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be great if I can see them in pics. I am going to put atleast one box with pins all over by today itself. Also please suggest how many & on which parts did you keep those brushes.

My society is severely attacked by rats. 4 cars & a few scootys have been the victims including my i20 ! I have already shelled out INR 2500 on this.

Thanks in advance.
May I suggest this.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4601409 (Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?)

Above plus the Autoshine spray mentioned in earlier post do help.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 11:10   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
I have used the same method. But yesterday, when I opened up the bonnet, I saw the rat just hovering calmly over those socks & tobacco sachets. Any other proven methods? They seemed to have got immune to tobacco !

you can see my above YT video, I have described couple of methods to be deployed at the same time (!), to combat the rodent menace.

On my bike and car, I have tied in different socks :
a) tobacco leaves + naphthalene balls
b) Strategi Herbal Rat Repellent https://amzn.to/2M4SXGK

I have even sprayed the 3M liquid, described here (3M Rat Repellent Coating. EDIT: Doesn't seem to work (page 4))

every 3-4 days, I add some household phenol (smelly) in a bottle of water and spray around the vehicle's surrounding. In rains, this water may be washed off, but all the area would be kept smelly - which also deters the rats from roaming near the vehicle.

Method: take a discarded bottled water, on the cap pierce 3 holes, fill with water, and just add about 20-30ml phenol, shake gently, spray around your vehicle, even a bit here-n-there.

Last year I had purchased the popular Autoshine spray and applied on the vehicle. The product says not to wash the car, but I get my car fully washed every 3-4 weeks, and that may wash-off the liquid.
The pins method is to be employed carefully - not to let any pins fall in moving parts. Go to any hardware store and get the tar (metal) bristle brush, and tie on the strategic locations.
The rat cake method (Ratol / Mortein) and even Ratol paste applied on bread has been working fine for many, but in rains material could be washed-off ! Else in other seasons its fine, or if you have shaded parking.

Last year I had even purchased the NiChem NoEntry spray product : however a word of caution : as written by some reviewers, the spray mechanism is very faulty, and you have to really spend lot of thumb energy to get some spray out. Secondly, the spray is very poisonous. When I was spraying, some of the mist went in my nose & mouth (that provided flimsy mask didnt work good!), and I started coughing real bad. I was literally chocking and mouth was so bitter, coughing, almost unable to control myself. I went home, brushed 2 times, had Listerine gargle, at some chocolate, sat for 30 min, and then felt a bit fine , and the taste went-off after 3-4 hours! That day was bad. Im not sure of the product's efficacy, but be very careful.

Few years back in my previous car, I had even put that Rat Glue Trap in the engine bay and on the ground where car was parked, apart from the other typical methods deployed. Before starting, I used to check the engine bay (glue mat), and within just 2-3 days I found a big rat stuck on that mat ! Asked my watchman to help me remove that mat stuck with rat.

Once in a while, especially if you have seen the rat's traces (poo), get the car fully washed - ask the local washing center for a "diesel" wash.

Overall, Im not sure which specific product / method has worked, but Im sure a combination of methods has been working fine for me. Just few days back, I saw my neighbor's car in the same parking area attacked by rats, some wiring was chewed making the car unable to start.

The more caution has to be taken if your dont use vehicle daily, as stationery vehicle is bigger welcome for rats!

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 7th August 2019 at 11:28. Reason: added a lot more details!
pcpranav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 12:19   #1419
BHPian

I have been using 3M rat repellent on 3 cars without issue for the past 2 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-3m1.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-3m2.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-3m3.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:18   #1420
BHPian

The spray can be dangerous for humans too and I was very worried when using it even with a face mask. I would recommend taking maximum precaution when using it.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:51   #1421
BHPian

We have bandicoots in our apartment premises. Having Honda City. Already have to take my car 4 times to service center as the engine problem indicator lights up as the rodent chews some wire or other. Pretty annoying. Haven't tried much remedy yet. But after reading this thread and further in the web, looks like there is no one sure shot solution. Now my exploration commences...
Old 8th August 2019, 13:14   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda insulation tastes especially good to rats!

They made a tape to cover it. It has been posted about here. My memory is bad, but maybe by GTO?
Old 14th August 2019, 23:21   #1423
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They made a tape to cover it. It has been posted about here. My memory is bad, but maybe by GTO?
Here you go! Full report at this link (Pics: Honda's Rat-Proof Tape! Protect your car from rodents).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 12:59   #1424
BHPian

As per GTO's suggestion, have tried the Autoguard (by noratsincar.com) and have found it quite effective.

Since the 500ml can was a bit on the pricier side, thought of trying a different one and ordered "Xterminator" from Amazon.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3898
Size:  137.8 KB

Applied the stuff generously all over the bonnet, sides, tyre-wells etc. and I slept snug thinking all is well.

But alas, this morning just before taking out my car for office commute (which is a rare occurrence - must say that also, I use car sparingly to office and it lies in the parking-lot on most working days. Weekends/holidays are when he gets to move out. Probably this must've contributed to the rats settling down too) during the routine check, found the bl**dy pests have cut down the windscreen washer pipe, and left their mark all over inside the engine bay

I don't trust any other rat-repellent now except Autoguard & a good old cat !
Going back to Autoguard since our cat on duty is AWOL/has left services, not able to find the guy for quite some days!
KrisTvpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 01:47   #1425
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
As per GTO's suggestion, have tried the Autoguard (by noratsincar.com) and have found it quite effective.

I don't trust any other rat-repellent now except Autoguard & a good old cat !
Going back to Autoguard since our cat on duty is AWOL/has left services, not able to find the guy for quite some days!
I find noratsincar overpriced too, but then, we get what we pay for . I don't know of any other spray that has proven effective, not even mighty 3M's.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks