Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:22   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

I feed the building cats near where my cars are parked at night so they hang around the cars most of the time and so far there has only been one incident of a rat chewing a wire
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:49   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
praful, please take a look at the following:

1. do you keep the fresh air mode ON?
2. is the rat hiding in the passenger cabin?
3. check the fire wall heat shield / mat for gaps > the area where the wires (bundle) comes out of the cabin.
1. Fresh Air mode is always OFF. I switch it ON only temporarily.

2. I am not sure if the rat is hiding in the cabin. There have been no noises of them scurrying about.

3. Will check that wire access point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you have a hole big enough for a rat to get through, you have one that can let in plenty of fumes. Car exhaust is deadly.
True, but I have no idea what is their entry point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I feed the building cats near where my cars are parked at night so they hang around the cars most of the time and so far there has only been one incident of a rat chewing a wire
We pay watchmen to keep us safe, now we need to employ cats to keep our cars safe! LoL!
Old 6th February 2012, 20:39   #663

Last time I used the windscreen washer to clean it, there was no water coming from the outlet. I refilled some water into the reservoir and tried again, but nothing happened. On a close look i saw that all the water coming out of the windscreen washer reservoir was not passing through the outlet, there was a leakage.

I couldn't fix it anyway so I got it checked with a mechanic, what he showed me was a pipe which had been chewed off by a rodent. Now I am conscious of the fact that rats do make a living somewhere close to where I park my car. We dont have a separate place for garage or parking, hence I park it outside my house, under a tree .

Recently when I opened the hood to do some cleaning, I saw some wires that were chewed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1o View Post
steel or iron mesh covering the wires is good option ( just costs 200rs)
Is this a safe way of keeping the rats off from chewing the wires? What all areas do they cover when they do steel / iron mesh covering?
Old 6th February 2012, 22:09   #664
BHPian

Once our Fiat Uno's wires going to the right indicator was chewed off. Listening to my Dad's words, we keep our car-porch always lit. He says rats won't hang around much at a place if the place is lit. He seem to be right.

(Luckily, we also have a dog, Candy, who stays around the car most of the time and at times sleeps under the car. She is a 'rat-killer' and barks and chases the hell out of them rats whenever she finds one )
Old 7th February 2012, 19:19   #665
BHPian

Re: Good Old Rat Trap Did Him

Not sure if a solution has been suggested in this thread. Sorry, I am new to this thread and came to it because of what the Title read. My friend has been fighting with the adamant rats for more than a year now and the rats seem to have a crazy fetish for Skoda cars. He parks his Maruti and the rats ignore it, his friend's Punto gets ignored. He parks his Skoda Fabia and the rats have a sumptuous dinner. Almost all cables chewed atleast once. Skoda guys recommended putting sleeves so that they dont ruin the cables again.

He tried getting help from PCI and all they did was offer solutions on paper! Nothing worked. Finally, one of his friends asked him to keep naphtalene balls and it worked! For 3 days, but. It came again, but this time with a vengeance. Bit all that it saw and the engine seized - no coolant!

His car is in the workshop now, but he has also arrived at some solution which I thought I could share with you. He promises that he is going to buy this before the car comes out of the Service Center.

Please see this and if you think it works, give a shot.

MASER ELECTRONICS (P) LTD., auto model, vhfo model, standard model, tailor made model, torrant, streame, miste, transducers, rat repeller, rat repeller manufacturers, rat repeller suppliers, rat repeller traders, rat repeller stockists, rat repeller

I know how hard it must feel when you find attacks of rats in your car.

Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLET View Post
when the guy from the rodent repellent team came over and i open the bonet to show him what the rat ahs done , i open the bonet and he is sitting right on the battery chewing on the rat kill i had kept for him.

He just slowly walked down without being scared , the guy said its not a rat but a bandicoot.

he said he will charge 800rs to get rid of it but i said i wil lcall him back in the morning

i laid a mouse trap at night and morning i have the most pleasing moment - the trap has the rat caught.

mom told me the whole night the rat was trying to chew through the trap.

i decided not to kill the rat and relocated it 5km away from home into a large gutter

the rat trap will go out again today and hope it finds no more rats.

will be getting the glue pads and keeping it under the car as precaution.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:44   #666
BHPian

Rats have almost finished the Wngine compartment wool.Yesterday again,some rat bite.Damage was of 1700/- Lacquer helped for 3-4 months,again same story.Only thing helped is some rat traps.Once you kill it,it will take few weeks for a new one to come.But that much is a relief
Old 7th February 2012, 20:29   #667
Senior - BHPian

Here goes my highly effective solution, but difficult to keep him visit our house every day. The solution is no joke. Even if the cat do not sleep on top of the car, it is enough that he just gives us a visit. Nowadays we do not see him often and rats are on the rampage digging holes all around the compound and destroying plants. Lucky that the rats are yet to touch either the cars and if they do, it will be a double blow for us. Before that, I have to find out another pet kitten to keep.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc00503.jpg

Wonder if cat urine (artificial / synthetic / similar chemical etc) is available commercially. A few sprays of that around the car could keep the rats away.

Last edited by thoma : 7th February 2012 at 20:36.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 22:01   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

A snake was spotted in our garden recently. It would be very welcome! Unfortunately it seems it slithered off on the wrong side of the wall. I thought they couldn't climb more than about two feet up a smooth surface: maybe out maid imagined it.

Just hoping the rats don't like German wiring!
Old 7th February 2012, 22:45   #669
Senior - BHPian

A small common age-old remedy is using chewable tobacco pouches. What you do is get some common chewable tobacco pouches, generally they are paper pouches. Just poke them so that the tobacco smell starts filtering out. Put them in plastic zip pouches (so that these dont get wet) and again poke these too so that the smell comes out. Now hang these in your bonnet or other places desired.

Once my Innova's valve wiring was cut off and I couldn't understand why my car was doing Jazz when started. Couldnt notice visibly by self. Took her unsteadily to the workshop and the shop floor guys told me the wire was cut due to chewing. Since then put up this remedy and it has not repeated again. Also others who started doing same after seeing my remedy have experienced good results.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 23:23   #670
BHPian

i am gonna be trying this out I cam e across this our our classifieds - http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../14590/Mumbhis helpsai/Other/Rat-Repellent.html/
Old 27th February 2012, 22:04   #671
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members. We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

I was in the hardware store for WD 40. Well apparently he did not have that and instead suggested Zorrik 88, something similar to WD40.

I bought the smallest of all for 50 bucks. Its basically a spray. Past 2 days of usage no rat poop under the hood. So may be it works.

It has a warning "highly inflammable". Use it with caution.

Mind you, it has this STRONG smell- pretty alright by me- but may be pple might not like it.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-image3605507141.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-image248794228.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jai

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2012 at 11:47. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum. Thanks
nevertouchme is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st April 2012, 14:43   #672
BHPian

Hello,

Recently noticed rat's footmarks inside the bonnet(over the engine areas).Thankfully no harm done to the wiring. The service centre guy says rats can enter the engine compartments from the space in the bottom of the car.

What solutions are available to keep rats away from entering the engine compartment

Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 17:55   #673
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
What solutions are available to keep rats away from entering the engine compartment
Keeping them away from entering the engine compartment is highly difficult. Since there are rat footprints on the engine, it would have also urinated on it which attracts other rats. The following are the steps I would advise:

Get the engine compartment thoroughly cleaned using diesel or an equivalent solvent which has a characteristic smell.

Pay attention to all possible corners and spray an insect repellent spray liberally.

Change the place of your parking at least for some time. Also, if possible, park the car with the bonnet open at a well lit place.

NEVER leave the car parked with the ac in the fresh air mode.

Monitor the car for more traces and if they are found, you could use tobacco leaves, phenol, naphthalene balls and the like to try and get the rodent away.

I ve faced rat menace for more than 6 months on Hariya and I know how bad it feels.
Old 1st April 2012, 19:50   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Keeping them away from entering the engine compartment is highly difficult. Since there are rat footprints on the engine, it would have also urinated on it which attracts other rats. The following are the steps I would advise:

Get the engine compartment thoroughly cleaned using diesel or an equivalent solvent which has a characteristic smell.

Pay attention to all possible corners and spray an insect repellent spray liberally.

Change the place of your parking at least for some time. Also, if possible, park the car with the bonnet open at a well lit place.

NEVER leave the car parked with the ac in the fresh air mode.

Monitor the car for more traces and if they are found, you could use tobacco leaves, phenol, naphthalene balls and the like to try and get the rodent away.

I ve faced rat menace for more than 6 months on Hariya and I know how bad it feels.

Hi,

Does use of phenol,insect repellent sprays,tobacco leaves have a adverse effect when the engine is hot.

Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 22:57   #675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
Hi,

Does use of phenol,insect repellent sprays,tobacco leaves have a adverse effect when the engine is hot.

Thanks
Not that I know of, never faced anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks