Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:40   #526
BHPian

Damn rats chewed away my car rubber tubing when it was parked for 3 days straight without moving. Had to get it changed before i could even think of moving my car. Missed an appointment, late to work, Tension and money loss...

They have a liking to immobile vehicles, so drive your car and dont just keep it parked, especially during the rainy season.
Get rid of all the bushes around your house
Stop throwing junk around the car park.
Keep a clean environment and vola no pests.

Get pest control. they do a great job. Never tried for the car

Next time it happens, i will go all the way to get ride of their whole kandhan.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:50   #527
BHPian

Guys,

Luckily i have do not have such problems with my cars. But, back at my hometown rats are building up their arms it seems.

So i got some sticky pads (not sure what it is called, i got them from my pest control fellows) which has a glue on it (mind you pretty strong for rats). Get those, keep it under the engine bay or if you can accomodate inside whereever there is a threat.

And BOOM...u dont feel guilty of killing those rats but will be happy of trapping them

Lets face it, we think we are smart, they are much smarter as they live under ground

Try it, might work for you as well...
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:59   #528
BHPian

My Swift - fighting a losing battle against rats.

For last 2 years rats have made the air intake duct (A/c) under my Swift bonnet, as their abode. To avoid all the trash coming into the passenger cabin, the recirculation flap is permanently kept shut and occasionally got cleaned at MASS. But last week someone accidentally switched off the recirculation button and a lot of muck nearly jammed the blower fan. Later found that even in recirculation mode, outside air was getting sucked in.

Took it to a local A/c mechanic. He opened up and cleaned the blower as usual and when he inspected the flap, he found the flap closing motor was getting jammed. The flap was only partially closing allowing the rats to sink in their teeth into the flap and gnaw at it. Today I have got the flap motor to be disconnected and the flap to be kept in a closed position with a hole where the plastic has got gnawed out by the rats.

I am at my wits end regarding how to solve this rats problem. Unless I have a permanent solution no use replacing the flap and maybe the motor too.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:29   #529
Senior - BHPian

there is a similar thread running: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=rats

you can use the following as a measure:

1. tobacco leaves available with the pan-wala
2. sticky pads available at small grocery stores
3. mouse trap below the engine.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:06   #530
Senior - BHPian

The brush is the most effective of all the listed solutions
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:40   #531
BHPian

For me, Brushes along with tobacco and hammam soap are working wonders. Till date, touch wood. Explore the losted options by others.
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:46   #532
BHPian

holy cow. i noticed a live rat in the dickey of the car today.

took it to a washing station. they searched through the dickey and inside the car. still cannot locate the damn thing.

it is still somewhere inside the car because i can see **** on the floormat.

currently i have placed a mouse trap in the dickey of the car.

i would try getting tobacco leaves. and look for more tips through this thread.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:22   #533
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
For me, Brushes along with tobacco and hammam soap are working wonders. Till date, touch wood. Explore the losted options by others.
Brushes? Can you please elaborate.

Also, I have sprayed phenyl in the engine bay of Hariya. Do you think it would work? I will get naphthalene balls today and tie them as well.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:40   #534
Senior - BHPian

Forget about these Dev, Just tie tobacco leaves in the engine bay and you will not see any rats near your car. Proved and tested.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:16   #535
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Forget about these Dev, Just tie tobacco leaves in the engine bay and you will not see any rats near your car. Proved and tested.
Not working Sir, Hariya was attacked again, yesterday.
Old 10th November 2010, 17:31   #536
Senior - BHPian

With all these colorful brushes, hanging pearls (naphthalene balls), tobacco leaves, hanging socks, sticky pads etc. the engine bays would be looking like decked up fairgrounds inviting the rats over.

What about placing some LED lights (3-4 of them) powered by cells or car battery in the engine bay and turning them on at night? Will that work?
Old 11th November 2010, 00:21   #537
BHPian

Tobacco leaves do not work,while buying the tobacco leaves the dealer asked me why do you need them so told him the reason the answer he gave me was they don't work cause the the sacks in which they are stored are also chewed up by rats.
Old 18th November 2010, 15:58   #538
BANNED

Hi All,
Please read my post in the link below and suggest what can be done. This has become a never ending issue now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2144864
Old 19th November 2010, 12:30   #539
BHPian

nothing has worked for me now. roamed around the city (gurgaon) and finally managed to get this...

the plastic quality is not very great. i am not sure if it would be able to hold a big sized rat.

funny enough, when i was placing this thing in the car's boot, the rat was right in front of my eyes in the boot! and i could not do anything. seriously. very annoying.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:21   #540

I have a santro Every night rats enter inside the car. Does anybody know
from where the rats enter the car ? Not sure if the rodent is a rat or mouse.
I have managed to kill about 5 or 6 of them by placing poison cakes, but they keep on coming :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks