Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 16:50   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey gto,
speedsatya has solved his rat problem.now no more rats in my car.
u must have seen the long pricky brushes with which we clean bottles.get about 20 of these and put it in places wher the rats can sit.put it on top of all wires and rubber parts.
put some above ur petrol tank as rats can cum and sit there.and maybe eat ur pipe.
there will sir inside ur car but cannot do anything as these will prick their nose.

the rats in my bldg wud eat the rat poison but now
i bet ,that ur problem will be solved just like mine
just try it.

satya
My mechanic at MASS suraksha did the exact remedy for 110 bucks and I am officially driving a rat free car now.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:38   #587
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

I was having rat problem.I bought a rat trap(when all others like glue pads,poisons etc failed).Got some 5-8 rats.Also I coated the engine cabinet with the 3M varnish.After that till date I have not got any rat bite
Old 4th August 2011, 14:43   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
.Also I coated the engine cabinet with the 3M varnish.After that till date I have not got any rat bite
White-Rabbit : Could you please share some more details about this 3M varnish? Is it something DIY? Where should this be applied? on all the parts just below the bonnet? what about under the engine from where the rats enter the engine bay?

What about the wheels? I guess the rodents climb up the wheels into the engine bay and beyond.

Finally, what is the cost and how frequently this should be done?
Old 4th August 2011, 16:10   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
White-Rabbit : Could you please share some more details about this 3M varnish? Is it something DIY? Where should this be applied? on all the parts just below the bonnet? what about under the engine from where the rats enter the engine bay?

What about the wheels? I guess the rodents climb up the wheels into the engine bay and beyond.

Finally, what is the cost and how frequently this should be done?
I did it from Trident Chevrolet.Its a clear coat kind of thing what they applied in engine compartment.It insulates all parts of engine from water getting inside.Full engine and wiring,joints everything will be cated with this.It cost me around 1000-1500.Its almost a year since i did it,looks pretty good now also.I am not sure this act as a rat-repellant.But this did the job for me.Just check with 3m guys.It will hardly take a day to finish the job.Let me know if you need any more details
Old 4th August 2011, 16:15   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushir View Post
My mechanic at MASS suraksha did the exact remedy for 110 bucks and I am officially driving a rat free car now.
Can you post some pics of what you did?
Old 4th August 2011, 18:37   #591
BHPian

I dont know if anyone has posted this before, but here it is:

MASER ELECTRONICS (P) LTD., auto model, vhfo model, standard model, tailor made model, torrant, streame, miste, transducers, rat repeller, rat repeller manufacturers, rat repeller suppliers, rat repeller traders, rat repeller stockists, rat repeller

I have installed their rodent control system for a data center project that I worked on 12 years ago. I dont know how good this under bonnet system is but the guys are solid

Hope this helps

Another traditional method is to make a liquid solution with tobacco and brush coat all the wires and pipes with it. Its a process that needs to be repeated every 6 months
Old 4th August 2011, 20:45   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
I dont know if anyone has posted this before, but here it is:

MASER ELECTRONICS (P) LTD., auto model, vhfo model, standard model, tailor made model, torrant, streame, miste, transducers, rat repeller, rat repeller manufacturers, rat repeller suppliers, rat repeller traders, rat repeller stockists, rat repeller

I have installed their rodent control system for a data center project that I worked on 12 years ago. I dont know how good this under bonnet system is but the guys are solid

Hope this helps

Another traditional method is to make a liquid solution with tobacco and brush coat all the wires and pipes with it. Its a process that needs to be repeated every 6 months
I tried the tobacco method(both boiled ).Didnt helpI didnt apply on the metal parts,I was affraid of staining and corrossion
Old 4th August 2011, 20:59   #593
Senior - BHPian

Rats played havoc with my car. First the right rear door got jammed, the remote lock actuator stopped working and manually alos unable to pull up the lock handle. After two days ie., today the same trouble with left rear door. That means after four or five days either I may not be able gain entry into the car or I would get stuck up inside.

Today evening I opened the bonnet and saw insulation of some wires were munched off by rats. I don't know about getting rid of these nasty rats. two weeks ago they spoile my swifts fan regulator switch.

Friends, suggest a method as a permanent solution. Don't suggest to change residence.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:10   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Horrible stench emanating from my car's engine bay. Covered the face and looked hard. Couldn't find anything. My men looked again but still couldn't source where it's coming from.

Went to a local garage and removed the plastic cover under which the radiator sits. Bingo....a dead fish!! Can you beat that? An XL size dead fish. Worse still, it was lying on the plastic floor below the radiator. A cat probably found that to be a safe spot to feast, away from the rains. I can tell you it was quite a task to get that fish out of the engine bay.

A cat in the neighbourhood might keep the rats at bay, but can also produce a unique set of problems
Now that is a unique situation !! Cats are smart, ever heard of "smartcat"

Pls pardon my warped sense of humour, just could not resist this..

Cheers
Old 4th August 2011, 21:41   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Rats played havoc with my car. First the right rear door got jammed, the remote lock actuator stopped working and manually alos unable to pull up the lock handle. After two days ie., today the same trouble with left rear door. That means after four or five days either I may not be able gain entry into the car or I would get stuck up inside.
Today evening I opened the bonnet and saw insulation of some wires were munched off by rats. I don't know about getting rid of these nasty rats. two weeks ago they spoile my swifts fan regulator switch.
Friends, suggest a method as a permanent solution. Don't suggest to change residence.
I clicked couple of pictures of the wires cut by rats. Whatever it is my two actuators stopped working. In the third picture a piece of coconut shell kept by the rat is also seen.
I am thinking of fixing a toy cat with some LED lights as eyes inside the bonnet to scare the cats off.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat1.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat2.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat3.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat4.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th August 2011 at 21:47.
Old 4th August 2011, 21:59   #596
BHPian

Disheartened to see all this, hope my advice benefits someone. Everynight before sleeping (when engine is cooler), I flushed engine bay with phenyl wash. The fact is rats smell their urine and know that they have been here. doing the regular flushes will erase their memory. phenyl smells will keep them at bay. When u park, do make it a point that you park your car in opposite direction every other day. for best results flush twice everyday - once morning and once at night. I had a open parking, used to park outside adjacent to a empty plot - and this worked for me. Please indicate if this worked for you too, as I'm the only person alive to be a testimony for the same.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Disheartened to see all this, hope my advice benefits someone. Everynight before sleeping (when engine is cooler), I flushed engine bay with phenyl wash. The fact is rats smell their urine and know that they have been here. doing the regular flushes will erase their memory. phenyl smells will keep them at bay. When u park, do make it a point that you park your car in opposite direction every other day. for best results flush twice everyday - once morning and once at night. I had a open parking, used to park outside adjacent to a empty plot - and this worked for me. Please indicate if this worked for you too, as I'm the only person alive to be a testimony for the same.

Disinfecting the engine is a good thought, but would the process suggested actually erase their memory ?

Parking in different directions ?? I thought once the rat wants in it will find a way - no ? I like how you put this "For Best Results"

No harm trying if it worked for you, it may work for others as well. Thanks for the handy tips !!

Cheers
Old 5th August 2011, 10:53   #598
Senior - BHPian

found rat poop in the engine bay - right on top of the throttle body - i had to pick it and throw it out with bare hands (eeeew!)

i tried the phenyl thingy long time back - it worked for some days and i stopped using it. will do it again tonight. last night before i parked, checked the engine bay and it was clean and today

tobacco leaves donot work. Ratkill - well you may find some of them munching on it with soda.

PS: donot put the ratkill cake in the engine bay when hot - it contains some wax and it melts and gets stuck to the place where it is kept.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 5th August 2011 at 10:55.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:33   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Disinfecting the engine is a good thought, but would the process suggested actually erase their memory ?
Let me put this way - erasing their previously marked territories. so they have no clue if they already had a feast last time in the same car. if you do see rugs and fibrous stuff in the car - it implies that they have earmarked their territory and is a hangout place for them. Just do anything to make them start from stratch. btw, you will do good to the engine, as their dumps are very corrosive. Once they are uncomfortable with your car, they will start hiding in other places. as per mechanics (who keep cars in garage for overnite), spraying diesel or burnt engine oils at nooks and corners also makes rats uncomfortable. - have not tried this, but then someone can volunteer again
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 13:52   #600
BHPian

Well diesel does works I have been doing this for sometime now,no rat problem from that time onwards had tried earlier all kinds of tobacco,phenyl all had failed.Diesel spray works for around 4days,so need to spray twice a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks