Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 16:39   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
yesterday i noticed that the engine oil level was a bit low - a bit less than the Max level.

Today took a 500ml can of Magnatec to top it up and wallah!

Opened the bonnet and found a white ball of fur sitting on the battery. i got sh*t scared - so did the ball of fur. it tried to run and successfully managed to get itself stuck in between the ECU and the Battery. I asked the gate keeper to help it and he set it free.

The white ball of fur was a Kitten - cold and scared. Once it was set free it ran and hide itself behind a bush. poor fellow.

First there were rats and now a Kitten. Why My FIAT?
Well, I'd say you are lucky! As long as the feline likes your engine bay, you won't see even the shadow of a rodent there.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:47   #482
BHPian

@planet_rocker
If the kitten is still around & you don't want it, I am willing to adopt.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:44   #483
Senior - BHPian

the kitten was there till day before yesterday - must have been taken away by its mother.

this is what i found in a local shop: Sticky pads for Rats -

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-photo0253.jpg

Last edited by planet_rocker : 15th February 2010 at 12:45.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:25   #484
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I have booked a Punto. I wonder if any team-bhpian has got rat mesh fitted in it. If so can you give me details? Does it void the warranty? Concorde Bangalore has confirmed that it does fit rat mesh for some money. Awaiting inputs.
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:39   #485
Senior - BHPian

Rat Mesh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Hi, I have booked a Punto. I wonder if any team-bhpian has got rat mesh fitted in it. If so can you give me details? Does it void the warranty? Concorde Bangalore has confirmed that it does fit rat mesh for some money. Awaiting inputs.
Can you post any photos of what the rat mesh is and how will it be fitted under the car?

Rats will use the suspension mounts to enter the engine bay. And they can squeeze into some VERY tight spaces. So I don't think it would keep a rat away. If the area where you are going to park the car is infested with rats, there's just two things you can try: Clear the rats or change the parking area.

Old 2nd March 2010, 11:39   #486
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I learned about it from this thread only.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ar-rats-9.html

viper_711 wrote:
For the Indica, Concorde Motors offers a rat-entry closure procedure for 1000/- All possible entries are closed with a metal mesh. I've had this done on two of my Indicas and it worked a 100%.

biswajit wrote:
Same here, but I did from Prerana motors they charged me 1200/- and after that cabin is rat free. But still rats used to come in the engine bay I've used Mortein rat cake and they used have all, yet to find any solution for this.
As HIGHNOON mentioned about "phenyl ball" is it different from Naphthalene? If it is where can I find those?

Since TATA is now handling sales of Punto I just out of curiosity asked the sales guy if they do the same for Punto. The answer was yes. I will confirm again with him. As for pics I think current owners will be in a better position to provide them. If I get hold of them in showroom I will take some snaps and post.

Sorry for wrong choice of words.
I meant: If I get hold of "the mesh showroom guys are giving" I will take some snaps and post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2010 at 12:54.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:09   #487
BHPian

never heard of rats entering cars & biting cables etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
guys,
my car has all its cables replaced everytime during the monsoons.as the rats in my building have taken a liking for my car.
i have tried everything from rat poison,napthalene balls,now the only option left is keeping a cat inside the engine bay.
plsssssss *lease:tell me as to how can i solve this.
i also tried confusing the rats by parking my car in different places and in different directions ,but of no use.
even ur cars might b having the same problems,wat do u do.

also,is applying a wax polish like turtle wax better than going for either a polymer or teflon coating .
as a good quality wax paste can cost around 500-1k depending upon quality .and u can do it urself throughout the year after maybe 2-3 months.
while a teflon or polymer coating costs around 1-2k depending on the make.and this is done only once .
so please advice.

satya
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:03   #488
BHPian

Simple solution which worked in my case.

Hello all,

On my old Zen, I too had faced this problem. In my case, the front shield wiper pipes were chewed into. After changing the same twice, I requested the MASS people what needs to be done for this kind of problem.

The solution I got was a very cheap and workable solution. They suggested that I buy a packet of Ready to eat Tobacco from any Pan shop. After that tear a little from the top and tie it inside the engine compartment anywhere such a way that only the smell will come from it and the contents would not drop from it. Or you can even roll it and stuff it inside any small hole if you can inside the engine compartment.

Believe me, after this solution I was free of any rat problem for 6 months. Once it did reappear, I changed the packet thus freeing me of any problem for the near future.

I would recommend this solution, but not claim that this would work in all conditions.

Umesh
Old 25th March 2010, 15:29   #489
BHPian

I was adviced by an aged driver who was almost nearing 30+ years of experience in driving gave some tips to avoid rats in cars. The tip is to use some detergent soaps particularly Hamam soaps to avoid rats entering the engine bay and chew wires.

I was asked to place 2 soaps each one near to either side of the bonnet, just near the suspension joints so that the soap fragrance is such that rats and mice hate them.

Just wanted to pass this tip to all BHPians. Give it a try ! I tried it for almost a month and no RAT issues now!

Hopefully should get the same result
Old 26th March 2010, 08:28   #490
BHPian

rats are a true menace. They chewed the fiber body of my cousin's ct100 (he was abroad for 6 months) and started a family inside the seat. When he came back, he saw small rats playing on the seat. Why is it that they like the wiring so much. Had to replace the full wiring.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:56   #491
BHPian

Rats has been a bane for me. Though I have to admit I learned 1 or 2 things about rats. First they like snug dark places. This makes the top of engine with the bonnet on top a perfect place for them to do their stuff. Tried placing bricks on top of engine to deny them the space. It works, except now they have relocated to lower parts of engine. Tried smearing grease all over and sprinkle tobbacco. It works, though very messy. Rats have chewed up my wires several times and most irritatingly, the ingition wires. Wanted to replace them with new ones but decided against it as they will chew them up again. So instead keep on repairing them.

Will try the soap thing. "Hamam" it is. Cause Rats are known to like some soaps.

For the mean time, I have deviced a method of keeping Rats out until I can device an effective method. I bet no one does this. Like I said, I have learned a couple of things about rats. Besides loving snuggy dark places, they hate open bright spaces. My parking space is brightly lit at night. So I removed the battery and keep them inside my flat. Now I simply open the hood every night and close them during day time. This is possible because I use my car very rarely. Being idle is also another reason rats preferred my car to others as its not disturbed for longer duration. Been doing this for about a month now. Not a single rat . can easily make out when rats are having a party inside my bonnet. They leave a mess underneath the car with their droppings and other stuffs. Its always clean now. Nice clean method ONLY if you use your car rarely.

Wondering what if I lit a bright light bulb under the hood at night. Been musing over this experiment. Bit worried though, cause the bulb would be using home AC current and if rats chew up the wire and leave wire exposed....you know. BTW my flat is just above my car, so this will be easy.

Last edited by kaynmantis : 26th March 2010 at 15:01.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:14   #492
Senior - BHPian

Saw this product in MKA this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-image2717.jpg  

Old 27th April 2010, 20:51   #493
Senior - BHPian

No offence meant to anyone but soaps or products like the one shown above have a life span and one has to constantly replace them.

I just bought back my car and even 9 years the brushes still work no more cut wires or cables

Last edited by Dippy : 28th April 2010 at 10:47. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid posting using excessive dots like...this....
Old 27th April 2010, 21:05   #494

I have to agree that the brushes work wonders for the RAT problem.

Also, I feel that the issue is specific to some cars. I had Rat problem with my Zen and had to install brushes. But they have chosen to spare my Baleno even though it is parked in the same spot. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:39   #495
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a snap of the set up ? ^^ If already uploaded kindly let me know the page number. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks