Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 14:09   #466
BANNED

Why not try the new product Rat-O-matic which if kept on in the car keeps the rats away. It uses two AA batteries which last for a month.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:26   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Why not try the new product Rat-O-matic which if kept on in the car keeps the rats away. It uses two AA batteries which last for a month.
What exactly is a Rat-O-Matic? How does it work? Can you please post some pictures.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:47   #468
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned earlier. Ultra sonic devices do not work for long in general, and in a car like environment(unless you place 4-5 of those in difference places), they do not work at all!
Old 8th February 2010, 17:02   #469
Senior - BHPian

My observations:

1. Rat Kill - not that effective if the rat doesn't like it . Never keep in a hot engine bay - it melts due to wax content and will cause small heart attack if you love your car.

2. Tobacco Leaves - not effective after a certain period - hot engine will kill the odour after sometime.

3. Tanveer's suggestion / Rat Trap - not usefull if you have a small car with low gc and small engine bay. keep it trap near the tyres (front).

4. High(/Low??) Frequency beepers - No idea

5. Red / Black HIT - spray away from electrical parts / radiator / intake hoses. I have tried this as well
  • keep a close watch near the radiator - it stays warm for a long time
  • check the space behind the front wheel well plastic guard.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 8th February 2010 at 17:11.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:07   #470
Team-BHP Support

I keep the rat trap inside the car. And it worked in both the indica and safari. Make sure you use the metal wire mesh trap. Wooden traditional traps have narrow opening, and make rat wary. But all side airy metal traps work better, as the opening is wider and bigger rats can also come in.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:28   #471
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I keep the rat trap inside the car. And it worked in both the indica and safari. Make sure you use the metal wire mesh trap. Wooden traditional traps have narrow opening, and make rat wary. But all side airy metal traps work better, as the opening is wider and bigger rats can also come in.
But I guess it is effective if it is only one rat tormenting your car. What if the area is rat prone?
You d probably catch a rat or two everyday and other rats could still damage it.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:34   #472
Team-BHP Support

If the area is rat prone, then poisoning them is the only solution, other than that you could seal the cabin.
However, if you catch 4-5 rats and kill them all, it goes a long way in fixing them.
As for repellants, I have heard that mint repels rats, don't know whether it will really work. Try storing some pudina in engine bay and see if it works?
Old 8th February 2010, 17:50   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
My observations: 2. Tobacco Leaves - not effective after a certain period - hot engine will kill the odour after sometime.
I have this rat problem only during the rains and if you put 4-5 packs at one go they last for the 3-4 months of rain, which i think is long enough.
Old 10th February 2010, 20:51   #474
BHPian

Hi! My 3.5 month-old Ford Fiesta, which has clocked only 1.5K km, developed an engine knock a few days ago. Took it to the Ganges Ford workshop today & they found a partially chewed-up high tension cable. Obviously the work of rats.
I had a Waxoyl engine compartment treatment done after the cable was replaced. Any chance it might prevent further attacks?
A couple of years ago, mice repeatedly chewed up the gas pipe in our kitchen. I guess I am lucky to be able to tell this story. Thanks to the mouse-trap that my wife bought & set everyday for several weeks, the apartment is clean. Unfortunately, now they are after the car.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:39   #475
Senior - BHPian

^^^How would a Waxoyl engine treatment keep rats away? Well, it might, if the smell is disagreeable to them. But I don't think that smell will last, so I would not count on it.

Since you find rat traps effective, why not keep one under the car?

As for gas tubes, I hope you know that steel cladded tubes (one piece) are available.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:05   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
A couple of years ago, mice repeatedly chewed up the gas pipe in our kitchen. I guess I am lucky to be able to tell this story.
Damn, I have gas pipes in my car!

I think rat avoidance assumes even greater importance in an LPG fitted car. I should also check with my LPG retrofitter if say steel pipes etc. could help against rats.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:48   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^How would a Waxoyl engine treatment keep rats away? Well, it might, if the smell is disagreeable to them. But I don't think that smell will last, so I would not count on it.

Since you find rat traps effective, why not keep one under the car?

As for gas tubes, I hope you know that steel cladded tubes (one piece) are available.
Waxoyl does have a faint odour. I guess only time will tell whether rats find it attractive or repulsive. The technician says the odor will last about 2 months. If it does last that long, it would be a fairly cost-effective option, as they charge only 300 for the job. The Maser ultrasonic repeller, on the other hand, costs over 4K, whereas Godrej Hicare wants 5K for a single treatment or 20K for a whole year's service.
Thanks for the info re the steel clad tube. Does the tube retain its flexibility after the cladding?
Old 13th February 2010, 02:16   #478
Senior - BHPian

^^^I seriously don't think the odour will last for 2 months... esp. since the area gets so hot. But only time will tell.

The steel clad tubes are obviously less flexible, but have not found that to be a problem. I guess it shouldn't be a problem unless you need the tube to take any sharp turns... which is something you probably shouldn't do with normal rubber tubes either.

We get our tubes from the gas company itself (IIRC its BPCL... can't recall for sure as its my parents who deal with them). Beware of fakes... its a critical item. They have a warranty of about 5 something years.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th February 2010 at 02:17.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:26   #479
Senior - BHPian

yesterday i noticed that the engine oil level was a bit low - a bit less than the Max level.

Today took a 500ml can of Magnatec to top it up and wallah!

Opened the bonnet and found a white ball of fur sitting on the battery. i got sh*t scared - so did the ball of fur. it tried to run and successfully managed to get itself stuck in between the ECU and the Battery. I asked the gate keeper to help it and he set it free.

The white ball of fur was a Kitten - cold and scared. Once it was set free it ran and hide itself behind a bush. poor fellow.

First there were rats and now a Kitten. Why My FIAT?
Old 13th February 2010, 14:50   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
yesterday i noticed that the engine oil level was a bit low - a bit less than the Max level.

Today took a 500ml can of Magnatec to top it up and wallah!

Opened the bonnet and found a white ball of fur sitting on the battery. i got sh*t scared - so did the ball of fur. it tried to run and successfully managed to get itself stuck in between the ECU and the Battery. I asked the gate keeper to help it and he set it free.

The white ball of fur was a Kitten - cold and scared. Once it was set free it ran and hide itself behind a bush. poor fellow.

First there were rats and now a Kitten. Why My FIAT?
Well thats coz of the space in there i guess!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks