Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 20:34   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You are very lucky to have a patrolling feline! I believe my car has been safe because of these darlings, in spite of our area being somewhat rat infested.

As for the smoking part, given the rodent's aversion for tobacco, smoking may actually keep them away! Well, I dunno about other creatures, but at least I can't stand ciggy smoke; so its not an option for me, even if it works.
Yeah and fortunately my housing colony doesnt have too many rats. There are cats and even owls to take care of them.

I hate ciggy smoke too. I actually begin to feel choked when I smell ciggy smoke for more than a few minutes. Sounds strange when it comes from an ex-smoker.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You mean a cat screen saver? How about trying a dummy kitty, lol?!
Had a rather unorthodox idea. If you have a pet cat take some of its fur and paste it somewhere under the bonnet so it wont get burnt. Rats have a keen sense of smell and normally smell predators (cats/dogs), '

My car's engine cover and bonnet have strands of cat fur on them. Good rat repellent I think

Rgds,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th November 2009 at 09:12. Reason: back to back posts: Request you to please use the multi-quote option when replying to more than one post
Old 26th November 2009, 21:42   #437

Dear Friends,
Please try the idea I have been doing for the last few months and was successful :-
Purchase one 100gm packet of fine Pepper Powder ( Curry Powder ) from a Supermarket and spray the same in the engine compartment and dicky,especially under the mud guards ( above the wheel wells) once in a month or after water service is done. RATS and even CATS will not bother you or your Car.
Please try and share your experience !
Have a Nice Day.
Old 29th November 2009, 06:57   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU RAO View Post
especially under the mud guards ( above the wheel wells)
How do we do that ? and not get affected by the pepper at the same time ?

Worth a try nevertheless.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:25   #439
BHPian

HI All,

Time for an update on my 'Rat issue'.

They have ruined everything including 'windscreen Washer', all light wirings.
They kept away for 1 week due to 'Rat-Kill cakes', but now they are back with a boom. Not affected with 'Tobacco' too.

No indicator, no headlight, no horn, no foglamps, no parking light, no washer liquid.

Tried changing the paking location, but in vein.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:17   #440
Senior - BHPian

Get that Big Rat Trap. I think that is the last option.

Get the wirings checked thoroughly. all the best and take care.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:25   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU RAO View Post
Dear Friends,
Please try the idea I have been doing for the last few months and was successful :-
Purchase one 100gm packet of fine Pepper Powder ( Curry Powder ) from a Supermarket and spray the same in the engine compartment and dicky,especially under the mud guards ( above the wheel wells) once in a month or after water service is done. RATS and even CATS will not bother you or your Car.
Please try and share your experience !
Have a Nice Day.

Why on earth would you want to keep the cats away???

Now those despicable creatures have invaded the home and have damaged things, broken glass items, gnawed clothes, and made a mess at several places! And Mortein Rat Kill dosen't seem to be working this time because they simply do not seem to be eating it! Damn man... I would kill for a cat!!!
Old 1st December 2009, 14:54   #442
BHPian

Place 2-3 nepthelene balls in a gauze and hang this 'bundle' with a string in several parts of the engine bay taking care that the gauze does not get heated and burn. The fumes should keep the rats away. I have not tried this with rats but it was effective in driving away a kitten which would hide bones/etc in the scuttle panel of my car.
Old 1st December 2009, 21:48   #443
BHPian

Have strewn 8-9 Naphthalene balls under the car in the garage (tyres, under the engine bay) and have also filled an old smelly sock with 6-7 Naphthalene balls and tied it to the petrol pipe that was damaged by a rat twice. Have also sprayed the engine bay and the under body with Mortein mosquito/cockroach spray. Seems to have worked and have not had any trouble for the last 4-5 days. Touchwood, fingers crossed, etc, etc!!!
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:29   #444
Senior - BHPian

I think the smelly sock is doing the trick - it can have amazing effect on human especially of the rat kind.

on a serious note: one can also try out the Odonil thingy.

Is it safe to place the Naphthalene Balls and Odonil in the engine bay / when the engine bay is hot?
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:36   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Works 100%. Tobacco worked for me when everything else (camphor/Mortien etc etc) failed.

Just cost me 20 bucks for 4 packs of tobacco and I sprinkled it at places where ever the rat could sit in the engine bay and since then no rats in the car.

Go to any paan shop and ask for chewing tobacco (preferably the ones near to construction sites as workers there use tobacco a lot ).

You will get plastic pouch kind of packs and 1-2 packs are good enough for engine bay.
"Chewing tobacco" works, as per my info as well. OK, it does not mean you or the rats should be chewing tobacco. Buy a few pouches of chewing tobacco, perforate them with a needle, each pouch should have about five to seven holes so the smell can come out. Use a thread and tie these pouches inside your engine compartment. This proved successful with my uncles.

Err, I don't know if it will create any problems while the car is in motion...

To prevent such instances, you should ensure there are no oil spills under or nearby your vehicle. Also during monsoons, make sure you get the underside of the car washed clean to remove any smells or stains of grease or fuel spilt on the roads.

I have had three to four bad experiences with rats over a 10 year period of driving/owning a car. So while it's not exactly a frequent nuisance, it's still dangerous because you can't detect the damage by naked eye. But without any specific treatment for rats, I have had a relatively trouble-free period I guess.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:15   #446
Senior - BHPian

spotted the rat again yesterday. first, it refused to move even after i activated the panic alarm > then i started the car and still it refused to budge - later somehow it managed to move its fat back side and slid on the exhaust pipe and hide itself. i drove it after that. i think it has a hiding place somewhere.

any guesses where it may hide??

Tobacco leaves, Rat Kill - both didn't work. i will buy the rat trap tonight from the local market.

these things are making me crazy :( :(
Old 14th December 2009, 11:26   #447
Senior - BHPian

If the rat doesn't budge, maybe you should just kill it?

Odonil or napthalene balls in the engine compartment shouldn't cause any harm. Only if you are driving, they may fall down, or if the bay is hot, they may evaporate faster.

Have you got the underside of the car checked for any leakages? If the rat returns to your car every night, it must be being attracted to something in your car. Get the car thoroughly washed from outside, underside and inside as well. Place the odonil or use a spray on the insides of the car as well. If any oils are leaking (even in small quantity), the smell may attract the rat to your car.

Another point would be the ambience. If possible, inspect the area where your car is parked. Try and clean the whole area of rats. If you park in an area where food/grains are spilt, change the parking area. If you are using rat kill (a poisonous substance which the rats are suppoed to eat in order to die), try sprinkling a generous amount near the rat holes or near the building or such place from where the rats will come out. If they find food nearby they may not go for your car. And if they eat the food, they would be no more a nuisance. I had tried about 10-15 pieces of rat poison for a pair of rats in our building. It took a few days before the dead rats were found, so have patience. It was effective, but took a little bit of patience (on my part of course).

Last edited by honeybee : 14th December 2009 at 11:39.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:08   #448
Senior - BHPian

i can't kill it - i am scared of the rats. will try the rat trap tonight.

Thanks HB. take care and drive safe.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:07   #449
Senior - BHPian

I hope Rat Kill and repellents like tobacco leaves, Odonil, etc., aren't being used together in the same place. The repellents may prevent the rats from eating the cakes! Also, it is more effective when no other food source is anywhere near the bait. The bait should be the only option for eating.
Old 4th February 2010, 09:32   #450
Senior - BHPian

Mission Safari Rat = RAT ATTACK

Guys, my Safari has been attacked by a rat/s. I have no clue where the chap is coming from and where it is hiding. It was first discovered when I had parked my Safari for over a month when I went overseas. The rat had shat all over the seats, the dashboard and every damn place he could find and also dirtied the whole car. And stains all over. Then there was a repeat attack when I again parked the Safari for a few days. Note: my Safari is parked in a stilt parking with a cover on always.

This is the first such attack ive faced and ive planned to declare war. Problem is im unsure if the chap is already moved his house inside the vehicle or breaks & enters only in the night. Also, What could be the entry point for the rat. I was suspecting he comes from the gap in the handbrake lever.

So far I dont think he has chewed any wires. but has attempted to chew the bottles, tissue box and all other bag n loose items he could find.

Question : What could be the point of entry ? and if he is hiding inside.. where is he hiding..?

Solution??
Ive got a large stick pad for the rat so I can beat the life out of him(like this - ) once I catch him. The rat poison is not a good idea since it may be difficult to locate his carcass after he dies.
help with any ideas and solutions. This is a special mission > Mission Safari Rat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks