Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 15:14   #406
Senior - BHPian

i am a bit scared of 'animals' and 'insects'. rats, cats, dogs drive me crazy. thank god you didn't see me along side a house spider (small one) or a cockroach. We are going OT...

still cursing myself as to why i kept the rat kill last night. i thought it was like a block of stone - but WAX
Old 11th November 2009, 18:38   #407
BHPian

Airbag Warning

Started my Anhc,the Airbag indicator Warning light refused to go off.Called up Honda Service they told me not to use the car unitl it was checked.Found time to take the car over to Capital honda. after waiting for an hour. Service advisor says rats have eaten off the Airbag sensor wiring.1,600rs for replacement.Paid up got home will attmept Solution with Rat kill and samosa's Tonight.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:02   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well I found the rat, inside the cabin. Not in the engine bay. Even the engine bay of indica has enough space for the rat trap, in case you want to catch the rat.
If a rat frequents the engine bay at night, place the trap under the car. Rat will go for food first.
And get trapped.
Its best to use an all metal trap. Later you can open bonnet of car when hot, keep the trap in the radiator, and derive some sadistic pleasure. I got mine from drowing the rat.
Sorry animal lovers, when rats are concerned, I show no mercy
Dear Tanveer,
I totally agree with the no mercy part.
I had a lot of problems with rats. These rats are not those small ones, but those big fat ones that stay in the drains. They used to come out of the drains in the night and used to bite my car that used to be parked on the road. Once, it had bit my power steering belt and the next time, petrol pipe and the last time, some kind of sponge material in the engine compartment to insulate the cabin from sound/heat. Total damages was close to 10K.
Coming to solving the problem, i've tried this Mortein Rat cakes for months, every day 4 cakes, one at each wheel. No bloody use. Every morning, i see that the cakes are gone. After some months, i left the car for service and the service personnel shows me lot of rat droppings and some mortein cake pieces inside the car (under the hood).
I finally solved this by hiring a closed garage for rent (1500Rs a month, can you believe it)
Checked with a couple of taxi drivers and they told me that buying tobacco leaves from market, putting them in a perforated cloth and tying it inside the car in 4 to 5 places would help. I've not tried this, but you could give it a try.
I sympathize with all of them who are victims of rat problems.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 11th November 2009, 19:15   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Checked with a couple of taxi drivers and they told me that buying tobacco leaves from market, putting them in a perforated cloth and tying it inside the car in 4 to 5 places would help. I've not tried this, but you could give it a try.
Works 100%. Tobacco worked for me when everything else (camphor/Mortien etc etc) failed.

Just cost me 20 bucks for 4 packs of tobacco and I sprinkled it at places where ever the rat could sit in the engine bay and since then no rats in the car.

Go to any paan shop and ask for chewing tobacco (preferably the ones near to construction sites as workers there use tobacco a lot ).

You will get plastic pouch kind of packs and 1-2 packs are good enough for engine bay.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:18   #410
BHPian

Am I a rat killer?

This happened in Dec 2001, while I was in Nainital, and there was a light snow shower. I switched on the heater in my Esteem, on my way to the club,and suddenly strange noises started coming from the dash, followed with the heater fan stopping, and some REAL foul smell coming out from the vents.

Couldn't do much about it at that moment, but the next day when I took the car down to Haldwani ,50Km downhill from Naini( The nearest maruti service station), even the mechanics were shocked to see an entire rat family minced like meat, with only the heads visible.

Wow, that was some sight, but luckily the gangster rats were dead, before chewing anything inside.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:26   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Am I a rat killer?
Nothing short of a 'tees maar Khan'!!
I thought rats had to rot before they'd stink!
Old 11th November 2009, 21:31   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Nothing short of a 'tees maar Khan'!!
I thought rats had to rot before they'd stink!
Wahhh..??? Dont tell me you'r into studying rats..!!!

Hope you'r not using them for experiments.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:04   #413
Team-BHP Support

Rats are turning out to be my car's greatest enemy these days, not taking into account the pesky creatures on 2 and three wheels on the roads.

Their nibbles have taken their toll on the Autocop system wires, and now, the fog lamps which have stopped working. Its my turn now, and i just bought a packet of tobacco leaves. Time to sprinkle this in the engine bay, as well as tie it at strategic places inside the engine bay.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_6822.jpg
Old 11th November 2009, 22:08   #414
Senior - BHPian

tried cleaning up the mess in the engine bay - two small pieces went in a gap - couldn't take them out - but manged to break them into smaller pieces with a screw driver - vacuum cleaner was of no use (blo_w / s_uck - sorry for the '_' those two words are blocked at office computer) - left the car at the garage without any rat kill. will update tomorrow.

the Padmini engine bay is great - not at all cramped.

@ K_Sultan - in my GTX the rat feels comfortable sitting on the engine cover - doesn't even bother to clean up the left overs in the morning - poops on the suspension arms.

@ Benny - what is it exactly called in Hindi? "khaini"??

Last edited by planet_rocker : 11th November 2009 at 22:11.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:29   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ Benny - what is it exactly called in Hindi? "khaini"??
Reading whats written on the packet, its called 'Tambaku'.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:31   #416
Senior - BHPian

updates

We (ETC and I) tried very hard to get rid of the sticky mess of the Rat Kill.

Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  37.4 KB

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-r2.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-r3.jpg

last night - went out for a walk / smoke - got this "Chaini Khaini"

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-r4.jpg

Edit: did i tell you that it came back last night and enjoyed the warmth of the engine?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th November 2009 at 10:34.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:42   #417
Team-BHP Support

Guys, why not buy a big rat trap, like the one I showed in pic.
Put it under the car, and put fresh roti inside(on the hook).
Rat will first go for food.
I caught 2.
After couple of days I will catch more, and use them for amusement on the weekend.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:06   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Their nibbles have taken their toll on the Autocop system wires, and now, the fog lamps which have stopped working. Its my turn now, and i just bought a packet of tobacco leaves. Time to sprinkle this in the engine bay, as well as tie it at strategic places inside the engine bay.
Benny, I have had my fair share of rat troubles. Almost losing my ICE, my seats nibbled away, power window, central lock wires gnashed at, the list is long. My office is in an area infested with these rodents, so my troubles continue. No tobacco, no khaini works for me, only my muscle power. Lol !
Old 12th November 2009, 11:26   #419
Senior - BHPian

Rat in ANHC AC manifold

Few days back there was a foul smell inside the car. It was getting stronger when the blower was on. I suspected that a rat has died and started decaying inside the AC (I had this experience once in my Matiz).

I took the car to the workshop for getting it cleaned. Apparently they did not find the body of the rat inside but found some rat dropping.

They have advised me to apply vinegar on the wheels to keep the rats away. They also offered that they will put a mesh to prevent the rat from entering again but I refused as meant opening the dashboard.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:09   #420
BHPian

3 cakes of mortein Ratkill,Mixed with Chicken samosa's kept on the ground below the Engine bay was missing in the morning either the rat or the cat ate it.I'll keep repeating this for a few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks