Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 23:28   #376

Today when I took my Santro after a week's time, I noticed that my side indicator was not working properly. On further analysis, found that rat ate 2cm of wiring.

I had engine compartment lacquered last year for the same problem.. But clever rat seem have chewed the part of wire which was not lacquered properly.

Hyundai Service centre fellows didn't apply the spray properly (though got money for that promptly, as they usually do).

Can I get lacquer spray outside ? Does lacquer help keep rats away (I didn't anything related to lacquer in this post) ? Can a rat enter into cabin in Santro ?

Can snakes enter into cabin ? (i fear more for snakes)
Old 27th July 2009, 10:24   #377
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
Can I get lacquer spray outside? Does lacquer help keep rats away (I didn't anything related to lacquer in this post) ? Can a rat enter into cabin in Santro ?

Can snakes enter into cabin ? (i fear more for snakes)
I'm not too sure as to what is the "lacquer spray" that you are talking about. As far as I see it there is no way for a rat or even a snake to enter the cabin of the Santro if all the rubber grommets of the firewall are intact.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:55   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
This is really one of the most weird thread I have bumped in. ...
Yes, you are right. It looks weird and funny until one faces this issue personally in their own cars that they just love. Then it can take your sleep away

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
... Can snakes enter into cabin ? (i fear more for snakes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
...As far as I see it there is no way for a rat or even a snake to enter the cabin of the Santro if all the rubber grommets of the firewall are intact.
I saw pictures where a '3-4 ft cobra was found in the A/C vent/duct pipe of 'a wagonR. I can share pictures if you want after taking them from the service center.

According to the service center it was a tough time they had to get rid of that snake. Also, it was discovered by accident when the owner asked the service center to clean the vent as he felt some hissing sound coming from it

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th July 2009 at 11:00.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:59   #379
Senior - BHPian

Thats scary! was the snake dead or alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

According to the service center it was a tough time they had to get rid of that snake. Also, it was discovered by accident when the owner asked the service center to clean the vent as he felt some hissing sound coming from it
Old 27th July 2009, 12:06   #380
Team-BHP Support

I do not think dead snakes hiss. I think due to cool air of AC, it must have been hibernating!
however I am sure that owner did not have any rat problem in the car!
Watch out for bollywood remake of hollywood. Car Me Saanp
Old 27th July 2009, 12:12   #381
BHPian

Ok, how about getting a resident cat for the car? You can keep cuddling him when you are stuck in traffic.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:25   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I'm not too sure as to what is the "lacquer spray" that you are talking about. As far as I see it there is no way for a rat or even a snake to enter the cabin of the Santro if all the rubber grommets of the firewall are intact.
I got the wire replaced in service station for ~135rs. Service station guy told me that it is a 3M lacquer which can be sprayed at service station. He didn't show me the product. Next time when I go there, I will get the details.

Can a rat chew grommets ? How to protect AC vent / duct with rat mesh ? (Probably some of us can write an article). It would be good to have these things written in a team bhp FAQ.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:39   #383
Senior - BHPian

I am facing the rat menace too often. The rats in my garage are fond of windshield washer water and they drink it through the washer tube forcing me to spend few hundred rupees. They get into the engine bay and the next day the car cabin stinks when the AC blower is switched on. I tried rat cakes but to no effect initially. Now I have learnt that you need to keep rat cakes daily for three to four days which helps to keep rats away for some weeks.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:25   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I do not think dead snakes hiss. I think due to cool air of AC, it must have been hibernating!
however I am sure that owner did not have any rat problem in the car!
Dead snakes don't hiss but they can make the ducts hiss due to air gushing past the choked area!
There must have been a rat problem to begin with and the snake came in to eat the rats!
So there! We've got a solution to the rat problem now!!

Wwe now need to figure out a way to shoo away the snake!
Old 27th July 2009, 16:07   #385
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I saw pictures where a '3-4 ft cobra was found in the A/C vent/duct pipe of 'a wagonR. I can share pictures if you want after taking them from the service center.
This is downright scary!!! Would be great if you can share the pics.
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:53   #386

Gone!

Ok, guess I've hit a home run! One piece of cake's been lying in the jeep for days now. Not eaten. Which means, no more rats. I've also done another thing. Sprayed Mortein Cockroach killer in the engine bay and within the jeep. Guess it works. Jeep's untouched. Also, got a 45 day refill of mosquito repellent FREE with the roach killer. Now I'm really sleeping well.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:11   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Rat damage to my washing machine in my post --> here.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:21   #388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy Nair View Post
Ok, guess I've hit a home run! One piece of cake's been lying in the jeep for days now. Not eaten. Which means, no more rats. I've also done another thing. Sprayed Mortein Cockroach killer in the engine bay and within the jeep. Guess it works. Jeep's untouched. Also, got a 45 day refill of mosquito repellent FREE with the roach killer. Now I'm really sleeping well.
Be careful.. those sprays are highly inflammable.. dont spray when the engine is hot...
Old 21st October 2009, 10:58   #389
Senior - BHPian

Rat attack on my Lancer D.

I always found this thread hilarious but not anymore when i faced the fury of rats two days back. I took the Lancer out in eve and noticed one of the four headlight did not come on ( i have angel-eyes with double HID ). The mech inspection revealed cleanly snipped wires to one bulb. The cut was so close to bulb-base that the mech had a tough time soldering the wires back on. Now whether this soldering withstands the heat is to be seen. I resorted to this as new Vision X bulb was quoted at Rs.3500/-. Cutout connecting wires were chewed too but not severed. Lucky for me that it being a diesel car, there is lesser wiring to worry about than in a petrol car. And to all those guys who find this thread hilarious, wait till they get you and trust me, it will wipe smile off your face. As for me, I am keeping rat poison , loose tobacco and camphor balls ( yes, all three as I do not want to take any chances ) under the car and hoping it would not re-occcur.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Be careful.. those sprays are highly inflammable.. dont spray when the engine is hot...
Also, I wouldn't be too sure how it reacts with the metal/plastic/rubber in the engine bay...

Most Viewed