Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 17:23   #1336
Team-BHP Support

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth_mys View Post
“We cannot replace some wires in the unit. Entire ECM unit should be replaced and will cost ~Rs. 60,000 !! “
I then ask the technician if the wires can be locally repaired for electrical continuity. He is checking this with the electrician and will update me tomorrow

Attachment 1767511
Unless the ECU is not working, they just need to replace the wiring loom. Do check if they have ruled that out. And since the car is new, you can try for insurance claim, we have done this at Ford and was covered.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 17:35   #1337
BHPian

One of the most trustworthy methods is to use tobacco. Make small packets of muslin cloth and fill them with tobacco. The size could be as big as the small pan masala pouches. The tie these in multiple places in the engine bay by plastic ties. The smell of tobacco keeps the rats away. You'll need to replace the packets every couple of months, but this is a tried and tested and cheapest method that I have also used.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 17:40   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I then ask the technician if the wires can be locally repaired for electrical continuity. He is checking this with the electrician and will update me tomorrow
[/ATTACH]
I think a competent garage can re-wire the ECU for you. Honda had given me the same crap that the entire wiring harness has to be replaced for my Civic when it faced a similar issue. The harness was for around 20k+ plus in cost. I got the job done for around 8k from my mechanic outside Honda.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 18:18   #1339
Senior - BHPian

3M has launched a rat repellent package under its umbrella. More news on it here

https://www.cartoq.com/3m-rat-repell...ian-cars-suvs/

It is already featured in the forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...rs-1058-a.html

Last edited by unk9ja : 4th June 2018 at 18:21. Reason: Addes the link to the team bhp forum post
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 13:24   #1340

I was called to the service center yesterday. The advisor showed me that they did some re-wiring, but the ECM (Electronic control module) still does not work properly. According to him, there might have been a short circuit when I started the engine which damaged the ECM. He says" after re-wiring, ECM is sending signal only to 2 cylinders and the other two are not in function " !!
I don't know if I should believe this version and he himself is not sure that ECM is damaged to the extent that it has to be replaced.
I was told the cost of replacing ECM + labour charges would be ~Rs. 75,000

So here is the summary: for the 4 wires bitten by rats, I have to shell out Rs. 75,000 (no matter I get insurance or not)
I told the advisor that I'm definitely not confident of the diagnostics done and will write this to Hyundai. I showed him the post that it's already on Team BHP.

Now, he calls his manager and they discuss with themselves. They tell me that another 'expert electrician' and some other expert will check my car, and will let me know what needs to be done

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20180605_174257.jpg
Prashanth_mys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 21:01   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So here is the summary: for the 4 wires bitten by rats, I have to shell out Rs. 75,000 (no matter I get insurance or not) ... ... ...They tell me that another 'expert electrician' and some other expert will check my car, and will let me know what needs to be done
Hoping for better news about this horrendously expensive rat bite!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 22:24   #1342

It seems my bad luck with automobiles continue.
The service center has confirmed that the ECM unit has to be replaced and estimate is upwards Rs 75,000 !!
I'm now approaching the insurance company.

Some questions for the experts/experienced folk:

- Is it possible that an Electronic Control Module can get short-circuited from a rat bite ?
- Should I get my car towed out of the service center, and take it to an outside garage ?
- Isn't this a major flaw in design on Hyundai's part ? A rat bite causing damages worth Rs. 75,000 !!

I'm furious as to how did I miss this thread before
Old 7th June 2018, 01:31   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service center has confirmed that the ECM unit has to be replaced and estimate is upwards Rs 75,000 !!
Very sorry to hear that. Can a short destroy an ECM? I don't see why not: generally, putting voltage in, for instance, where it is not expected, is unlikely to be good. Putting a zero resistance (ie shorting) across the speaker outputs of many valve amps will not be good news for future music listening (others here can explain: I just know I shouldn't do it). So I don't think it is news that shorting out some of the lines of an ECU, CPU, etc, is going to be bad news.

I guess this was probably the cause of many of the damaged control units during the flood in my city, perhaps more so than water getting into them.

What I'm saying here, is that I don't actually know, but I don't think you can single out Hyundai.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:08   #1344
BHPian

Hi All,

Need help/advice here, my 8 year old Punto had a 1st rat bite. I have attached the image. As of now looks like only this part got damaged, and my car is not starting, all other electricals are working fine. Can some one please share the similar picture from their Punto, so I can see the actual connection?

I have few doubts,

1) Can I make some juggad - like connecting between these 2 using any normal wire temporarily so the I can drive till Service center? or towing is the best option.
2) Any idea how serious the damage is? SA suspects ECU might have been damaged (but he is not sure till he sees it).
3) Can I contact any local car electrician and ask him to repair it?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat_bite.jpg  

Old 8th June 2018, 05:45   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Need help/advice here, my 8 year old Punto had a 1st rat bite.
It is highly unlike that the ecu is damaged. This is a wire cut at the molex connector. Fiat service in all probability will only suggest a wiring harness replacement and that will cost you an arm and a leg. Approach a FNG and they should sort you out. You'll need a identical molex connector and some pins to fix this. It might be possible to reuse the existing molex connector too.

I am not sure where you are based in Bangalore. If you can tow the car to Bosch in Hoodi area, they should be able to sort you out at a fraction of the cost.
Old 8th June 2018, 09:51   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Hi All,

I have few doubts,

1) Can I make some juggad - like connecting between these 2 using any normal wire temporarily so the I can drive till Service center? or towing is the best option.
2) Any idea how serious the damage is? SA suspects ECU might have been damaged (but he is not sure till he sees it).
3) Can I contact any local car electrician and ask him to repair it?
1. NO. You don't do any Juggad with electricals and electronics - for the consequences can be disastrous. Unless you have a circuit diagram of the circuit starting with that connector - leave that well alone.
Towing is the only option.

2. Until the circuits are complete, you can't tell if the ECU is still alive.
3. If the electrician is familiar with your car type, may be yes.
Old 11th June 2018, 17:45   #1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Unless the ECU is not working, they just need to replace the wiring loom. Do check if they have ruled that out. And since the car is new, you can try for insurance claim, we have done this at Ford and was covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hoping for better news about this horrendously expensive rat bite!
The insurance agent has out-rightly rejected the claim.
Like a broken record he says " This is not an accident and rat bites are not covered in our insurance "
I have shown him a decision from Insurance Ombudsman concerning the exact situation. He laughs it off, saying that is a different insurance company.
Blue Hyundai has been least helpful with regards to all this. I'm going to tow my car out of here and think of next options. Here is a copy of the decision which the insurance surveyor refuses to acknowledge:

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-capture.png
Prashanth_mys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 18:02   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like a broken record he says " This is not an accident and rat bites are not covered in our insurance "
I have shown him a decision from Insurance Ombudsman concerning the exact situation. He laughs it off, saying that is a different insurance company.
]
He is just a surveyor, his job is to assess and report the issue to insurance. You have all the right to raise the issue with insurance company. Drop into the insurance office and talk to the manager there, if that doesn't work escalate to appellate authority (contacts would be mentioned in insurance website).
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 19:04   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The insurance agent has out-rightly rejected the claim.
I would suggest to check if ECU could be repaired. There are few guys in Bangalore who could do it. I had read about it somewhere, but can't recall it now.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 18:29   #1350
BHPian

My 3 month old EcoSport was the victim to the rat attack recently, the rat died but not before doing the damage to the earthing wire from the harness over the right wheel arch below the coolant, visited the Ford service station, they recommend changing the body harness in the engine compartment. They said it would be claimed in the insurance (RS 30,000) so I would have to shell out around rs 2000 probably.
Any other recommendation? And the funny thing is I had booked the 3M appointment for the rodent repellant coating on Monday

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20180616_124806.jpg
Dramitn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks