Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2018, 02:13   #1366
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Here's my solution - L-R - Sunny, Poppy and Cherry - they ensure all the cars in the parking lot are rodent free. A little milk every day. Seen here basking on my car!
What a sight to see! Planning to pet some cats as well near my parking, Specially now that even the 3M Rat Spray doesn't work!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 00:02   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
What a sight to see! Planning to pet some cats as well near my parking, Specially now that even the 3M Rat Spray doesn't work!
Thank you! While I am an out and out 'dog person', over time I have warmed up to these felines. A 20 Rs. packet of kibble and about 1/2 litre of milk per day is what I feed these 3. They do a very good job of hunting down the rats and they have multiple other sources of food too.
Thanks to Sandy (PMP) and his Nano coating, I am not too worried about their antics on my car. I have found them to be sun-bathing on the car's roof too!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 12:52   #1368
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seen here basking on my car!
Check your paint for scratches. Cat nails can cause a lot of them.

Quote:
Specially now that even the 3M Rat Spray doesn't work!
Didn't work for you too? I know a BHPian commented on the 3M thread. Yours too?
Old 29th July 2018, 14:06   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check your paint for scratches. Cat nails can cause a lot of them.
Indeed.
Like I mentioned in the post just above, Nano coating from PMP. Been almost a year now. Quite happy with the outcome. No swirls. No scratches. Once in 6 months top up coat at Same Place. Touchwood, I am quite satisfied with the result. Especially for a colour like this.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 14:49   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't work for you too?
I know a BHPian commented on the 3M thread. Yours too?
Have been using SWE Rat Repellant spray (aerosol can) for almost a year now, it seems to work just fine but is a disaster if care is not taken while applying it. It almost ruined paint on one of my cars.

Another thing which works just fine in engine bay (at least for me) is a piece of cloth soaked in Kerosene oil. That strong smell does seem to ward off evil rodents.

Just my 2 cents.
samsag12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 16:42   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! While I am an out and out 'dog person', over time I have warmed up to these felines. A 20 Rs. packet of kibble and about 1/2 litre of milk per day is what I feed these 3. They do a very good job of hunting down the rats and they have multiple other sources of food too.
Thanks to Sandy (PMP) and his Nano coating, I am not too worried about their antics on my car. I have found them to be sun-bathing on the car's roof too!
Keep on feeding them, Thats the most cheaper and foolproof solution to keep the rats away no doubt!

Quote:
Didn't work for you too? I know a BHPian commented on the 3M thread. Yours too?
Nope! I'll post in a detailed way soon, Another Non-Bhpian friend had the 3M spray done and it din't work for him too, Infact he had a rat bite the very next day of applying the spray.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 19:05   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Keep on feeding them, Thats the most cheaper and foolproof solution to keep the rats away no doubt!
The outcome of that is - KITTENS! Just went through the 4th batch in 2 years or so. Guess I should put them up for Adoption on TeamBHP next time. A must have for every car enthusiast.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:30   #1373
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently bought a LED light strip (runs on 4 AAA's batteries) with motion sensor, idea was to use it in a cupboard/cabinet.
Just a day before I received it, a neighbor mentioned that his car had been recently attacked by rats and they managed to chew up wires in the engine bay.
He parks the car outside his house on the road, but our cars are parked in our covered car porch (roof above the car, not an enclosed/walled garage). We do have a garden on one side but haven't had any rats attack the cars so far in the last 15 years or so (touchwood!).

However, the conversation got me thinking since the Dzire isn't used on a daily basis so what if it does gets rats visiting ?
Read up on this thread and thought what if we use the premise that rats like dark places and do not enjoy being in a place that has lights ?

So, decided to use the LED strip with motion sensor by placing it in the engine bay. I'm not sure if this will be really successful in warding off rats, but it gives some peace of mind for now as a possible preventive measure

The LED light strip came with a magnetized rubber strip (like the ones used with fridge magnets) and the other side has a 3M backing tape. Since I'd be using this in the engine bay, I reversed this so that the magnetized side is outside and can be stuck to a metal part.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-led.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-fixed-engine-bay.jpg

**EDIT:I knew my idea wasn't a revolutionary one, but I just found that one of our members has already tried this earlier without much success!
Link to earlier post by @Ravich - here

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2018 at 10:58.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:24   #1374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I recently bought a LED light strip (runs on 4 AAA's batteries) with motion sensor, idea was to use it in a cupboard/cabinet.

Can you please share link to the product?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2018 at 14:58. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 30th July 2018, 14:49   #1375
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share link to the product?
Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in promoting this product and I'm not associated with the manufacturer or Amazon in any way!

Product is "Hemito wireless motion sensor LED light" and link for it on Amazon is - here

This may be available on other sites as well but I haven't checked.

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2018 at 14:51.
Old 1st August 2018, 10:38   #1376
BHPian

Here's my additional deterrent. Apart from feeding this stray cat with Whiskas and milk daily, I have also lit up the garage with bright Leds to discourage free movement of rats. I earlier used to spread rat poison biscuits below my car till I found two dead rats. I have stopped that. Apart from this have other deterrents as well like brushes in the engine bay etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-1533099997903.jpg  

Old 8th August 2018, 09:42   #1377
Senior - BHPian

2 days ago found a dead rat inside the car, on top of the engine cover. When I went to clean it, another rat was carrying a 2nd dead rat out from under the car.

Fortunately nothing was damaged however, cleanup took some time. ASAP called up BHPian nishantbhatia84 and went and got 1kg of Photrate insecticide.

I bought it from a slightly better store so was charged Rs. 100. Usually you can get it from Rs. 70 onwards per kilo:
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-phorate.jpeg

Put in about 50 grams in 2 old socks each and put in the engine bay (places away from heat and moisture / water). The smell is slightly off-putting but nothing creeps into the car. Tried it with circulation mode and windows open. However, with fresh air mode, some smell creeps in. Avoid this incase your car has that auto AC feature which turns on fresh air mode from time to time.

I hope this is a deterrent. The wire-brushes did protect the car, but its best no rat enters the engine bay.

Note: This is a proper insecticide and needs care while handling. I used gloves and and old cup to put in the socks. Direct contact with skin causes irritation. It is in the form of small granules.

Incase anyone from Navi Mumbai wants to try this out, let me know 1 kg is too much for me. Just being old socks / cloth pieces to put it in.

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th August 2018 at 09:44.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 13:30   #1378
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Slight off-topic, but slightly related .

While we have a problem with rats, some on the other side of the planet have to contend with squirrels & chipmunks - source & article:
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 20:33   #1379
BHPian

Not sure if its rats (rodents) or cats but definitely looking like an antic by these creatures.

Has somebody faced this issue before? Looks like they took liking to corners and sharp edged Shark Fin antenna of my Honda City. And by the look of it, quite strong tooth and nails at work.

Any suggestions on fixing this - isn't looking good at all

Front bumper -

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-front-bumper.jpg

Shark Fin Antenna -

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-shark-fin.jpg
Old 13th September 2018, 21:08   #1380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Not sure if its rats (rodents) or cats but definitely looking like an antic by these creatures.
This definitely done by a cat, possibly a large teething kitten or even a dog. I've seen dogs climb and sleep on car bonnets and roofs. My car regularly provides refuge to cats and kittens (and shrews) so small light scratches on the paint (easily repaired with a wax with mild abrasives or polish) are par for the course.

It would be rare to see rats climb to the top of a car where they would be prone to attack by predators. These fellows skulk under the car and inside the engine bay or God forbid the car passenger compartments where it's relatively safe.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th September 2018 at 21:12.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed