Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2021, 16:23   #1561
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

So this has happened to my car now. Car was towed by Ford provided RSA to the nearest service center. We could see some cut up sponge, bite marks on the battery terminal cover and the partially cut wire connecting the radiator fan when we opened up the hood.

I was heading out this morning when the car refused to start. All the electricals were working correctly, the car was cranking as well, but the engine died out as soon as the cranking ended. It has push button start so I couldn't hold the crank for longer intentionally, so it seemed that there was nothing I could do

Since it was raining outside, instead of trying to investigate, I immediately called up Ford RSA. Fortunately, the car was parked at home when the breakdown happened. I had done a 250km highway drive only on Saturday morning. With all the lockdowns, it would have been a royal PITA had it happened on the drive.

Not yet informed the insurance company. Wanted to check if Insurance does cover this kind of damage. It seems that it does. Anyways, will update here once I call them up.

Car: 2019 Ford Figo TDCi
Insurance Company: Reliance General
Old 28th May 2021, 19:48   #1562
BHPian

Hello All,

Yesterday, I just wanted to replace my fused 100/130 Watt headlight relay. headlight relay was replaced, but upon closer inspection of engine bay, i realized bigger horror that one of the fuel injector electrical connection was sheared off completely and connecting wires from main wiring harness was missing completely. I choose to start my car anyway to check if engine was start-able, but engine did start. Also there were no warning lamps in the dashboard, only thing was engine sounded little course. Realized that engine was working with reduced torque, tried reversing in gear and realized that engine was switching off with my usual engagement of clutch.

Finally decided to fix the problem myself, first i tried to pull out MPI Injector electrical coupler, but no matter of trick and force applied electrical coupler was stuck and so decided to finally the problem on site.

Problem resolution:
1. Got two separate patch cords of a new electrical wire , kept soldered ends ready for connecting main wiring harness to fuel injector.
2. Got my soldering iron to car bonnet, whatever copper leads present out of injector electrical coupler was tip soldered to keep it ready to solder to electrical loop patch cord.
3. Toughest part was, delicately sleeve the wiring harness connectors, since they were fragile and rat had probably even chewed up on. Anyway main wiring harness was also made solder tip ready and connected to electrical wire patch cord.
4. Once Wiring harness is soldered to new patch cord, time to wrap insulation tape, slide shrink wrap tube and secured the insulation and slide the final plastic protection layer hollow tube and before finally soldering to the Injector electrical soldered ends, kindly slide another heat shrink wrap tube to cover the electrical side of injector coupler.
Repeat the above for another connector as well.

Note: It looks like injector electrical coupler is polarity sensitive, take care. I observed the wire color (left over) at injector electrical coupler side and matched it to the main wiring harness.

Effort of around 2-3 Hrs, After everything is done started the engine. Engine is smooth like earlier and no warning lamp in the cluster (even though earlier also it was not there.), Revved the engine, no sound of misfire or coarseness. I will let below pictures do the talking.

One thing i am worried, i,am not sure about water ingress, even-though insulation was done with tape and shrink wrap tube.

Ordered heat resistant adhesive tape, rat spray and heat resistant sleeves for future rework(if happens). For time being, placed moth balls wrapped in cloth face masks in the bonnet area to deter rats.

Vehicle: Wagon R BS3 F10D.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20210527_070549.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20210528_105343.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20210528_115155.jpg  

Old 6th June 2021, 14:21   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuel View Post

I shall update after few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Yeah even I was surprised with the sound. It is making at regular intervals of 3-5 seconds.

Got it installed as per the instructions on the manual.
Hey, Do you guys have an update on how well these devices work? Is there any impact on battery or any other issues?
Old 6th June 2021, 15:06   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
Hey, Do you guys have an update on how well these devices work? Is there any impact on battery or any other issues?
Unfortunately I sold my vehicle just after a month of this device installation and forgot to remove it from my vehicle when I handed over to new owner. However, this machine is useless. I noticed rat droppings after few weeks. We used to have open garden with grass. We now renovated and laid concrete flooring there. Thankfully not noticed any rat droppings in my new vehicle since then.

Just to be sure I use rat gum pad and place it on my engine cover. These are effective in catching these tiny buggers. I check my engine bay twice a week. Sometimes when I am in a hurry, I forget to remove it. This is industrial gum and makes a mess in engine bay if not removed while driving. It takes ages to get rid of the gum. I also place rat poison chocolates in other places within the engine bay.

Also got 3M rodent treatment for 1,140/- bucks. They last for 4-6 months only. This spray makes the wiring harness hard for the rats to chew. This is also a messy process. The residue creates a thick layer all over your engine which is hard to remove. If the engine compartment is not cleaned properly before spraying the solution, the dust will be permanently trapped under the spray. You can see the residual spray on the engine cover. These droplets cannot be removed. There is no permanent solution unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rodent-treatment.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:19   #1565
BHPian

I have been parking my car in the open for the past few months at my holiday home and a month back I noticed the rat footmarks in the engine bay. I thoroughly inspected and did not find any chewed wires. I went through this thread immediately and the only option which I felt could give 100% protection is a short fence around the car. Pic from opening post:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2863
Size:  324.0 KB

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-00000img_00000_burst20210228170416573_cover.jpg
Footmarks

Went to the market and purchased a thin metal sheet 1.5 feet x 46 feet. Costed around Rs1100. Called the carpenter and he was not ready to come that day. Out of desperation I just wrapped the sheet around the car! And I have been doing this for a month now and it worked. When the ground is uneven, there will be tiny gaps below the sheet and the rat can not sneak through it as the sheet is too heavy for it. Also the sheet is too smooth for the rat to climb.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-00000img_00000_burst20210501163051929_cover.jpg
Rolled sheet

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20210301_212255.jpg

Though it gives 100% peace of mind, it takes around ~4 mins to roll back the metal sheet and take the cover off. I am OK with the time but it makes me sweat in my humid climate. As this is metal, it is heavy and weighs 3-4 kg.
I even considered stitching few dining table runners made with bamboo similar to the sheet but I was afraid the rat can find some grip and climb over it. So settled for this as a temporary solution and when I go back to Hyderabad, I have no such problems there.
papr23 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 01:26   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
I just wrapped the sheet around the car! and it worked.
Looks fool proof. Can you show how did you secure the sheet at the joint. Did you use any clips/clamps and the sort ?
Old 7th June 2021, 10:37   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Looks fool proof. Can you show how did you secure the sheet at the joint. Did you use any clips/clamps and the sort ?
I use a binder clip at the top and a small piece of granite at the bottom.
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 12:32   #1568

My workplace and residence being in one place I don't get chance to drive much except on outings, holidays and long drives. I started my car after a few days and a warning message came up on the i drive. The headlight aim control had failed. Called up my SA. He told me that this unit does not fail often but rats must have bit / cut the wire. He said I can continue using the car and get it rectified at my next service. Yes there are rats but never faced an issue living in the same place for 20 years. Opened the engine bay and could see Rat droppings at a few places. Now I knew the culprit. Started searching for solutions. That night I kept peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and also sprayed the engine bay, wires and wheel arches with a rat repellent spray. It did not work. Next day morning saw a few pieces of insulation foam inside the engine bay and outside the car. Knowing that I had to do more, bought a rat trap and 4 glue pads. Placed them at night. Checked in the morning I saw one rat trapped. The glue pad had lots of small hair. I don't know if the rat pulled himself out or a cat took him away to eat. YES there are 2-3 cats around who come in the night. One thing I don't know is whether there was just 1 or a team. I am going to continue with the trap and glue pad for now. Hope for the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20210622-15.56.03.jpeg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20210624-12.11.24.jpeg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20210624-09.16.28.jpeg  

CHIRU3011 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 17:17   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Finally decided to fix the problem myself, first i tried to pull out MPI Injector electrical coupler, but no matter of trick and force applied electrical coupler was stuck and so decided to finally the problem on site.
There is a trick to release these electrical connectors. You push it hard in and then press the release tab and it will slide out. The only force you use is pushing it in.

There is no need for soldering. I have a set of keys for that to release the pins and then you can fit new pins. These keys are very cheap and your dealer should have new pins for you.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-keys.jpg

You can see it being done in this video.

Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 18:41   #1570
Senior - BHPian

I recently sprayed Autoguard rat spray in the engine bay but I still saw droppings and also one of the cables to the plug caps was chewed off and the copper wire inside is exposed. So I say this spray is useless for 1950. Should I tape up the chewed up part?
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:01   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIRU3011 View Post
Knowing that I had to do more, bought a rat trap and 4 glue pads. Placed them at night. Checked in the morning I saw one rat trapped. The glue pad had lots of small hair. I don't know if the rat pulled himself out or a cat took him away to eat. YES there are 2-3 cats around who come in the night. One thing I don't know is whether there was just 1 or a team. I am going to continue with the trap and glue pad for now. Hope for the best.
Good that the mouse was trapped. But there will be no end to this. When one mouse is caught, another one will start visiting.

If possible, you can also try to avoid parking very near to corners and walls, keeping the parking floor clean.
Old 12th July 2021, 18:50   #1572
BHPian

I got a pre worshipped Honda city on last Thursday evening and guess what? Next day morning I see the rat dropping on the engine bay and some insulation being chewed up. I started frantically to search for options and ended up buy peppermint essential oil with next day delivery on Amazon. Once the peppermint oil was delivered, I put a few drops generously in the engine bay across the insulation and also put a few drops on cotton balls and placed them in the insulation and other places. Although the rat dropping was not there on the next day I was looking for a long term solution. During my search, I came across the Black cat rat trap and it had very good reviews on Amazon. Ordered it as well just to see how it works.

A relatively big package was delivered and I was suspecting that Amazon might have used a bigger than necessary box but once I opened I was pleasantly surprised with the size of this rat trap.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-trap_1.jpg
I was excited to see what this thing can really do, so I burnt a piece of coconut and put some peanut butter on top it and placed it in the backyard entrance from where the rat would also get in most of times in our building. Sometime around 4AM i heard a Snap sound and a bit of struggle and I got a sigh of relief that that is 1 less rat out to destroy our priced possessions.
Morning I woke up and saw that a big rat was caught in it and really happy with this.
them was gone
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-trap_2.jpg
I have not heard about this on this forum and hence posting it for the benefit of fellow BHPians. Before I had placed an order for this, I had asked my cousin on what he was doing to protect his new Seltos which was chewed up by a rat recently, he suggested tobacco leaves. Once I placed the order for this, I told him that I have ordered a rat trap and he said it wont work. I immediately message him with a photo and he was in complete disbelief. Getting a rat on the first day was really surprising and now I completely trust the reviews. Not so long after, there was another order placed for the same by him
srsriharsha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:15   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
I started frantically to search for options and ended up buy peppermint essential oil with next day delivery on Amazon. Once the peppermint oil was delivered, I put a few drops generously in the engine bay across the insulation and also put a few drops on cotton balls and placed them in the insulation and other places. Although the rat dropping was not there on the next day I was looking for a long term solution.
How is the peppermint oil holding up? I also ordered the same on Amazon. Waiting for delivery. I had seen video on YouTube where they mention to dilute it with water and spray generously over engine bay and wiring. Also will use cotton balls with peppermint oil drops. Many say the smell will last for a week, and then we need to spray again. Any insights on this?
Old 17th July 2021, 15:02   #1574
BHPian

My Toyota Innova Crysta has been heavily damaged by rats including chewing up wires and tubes inside the engine bay as well as the fuel lines (return hose) from the fuel tank. The return hose damage came to light when the fuel started leaking on my last visit to the petrol bunk. So to prevent we have decided the only option is to build a garage, expensive but something of a permanent solution! (right now we have an open covered parking for 2 cars with 3 sides open) This construction activity is going to take a couple of months, so decided to do a temporary fix. It has been working for 3 days now so far and hopefully will keep the rats away till we get the garage constructed. Fingers crossed.

The product we bought from amazon is called Bird Out spikes, it comes in a pack of 10, each unit being 12 inches approximately. So bought 4 packs and have them nailed to a wooden beading. We place this around the car after we park everytime. Takes about 5 minutes to place it around the car.

Product link (Disclaimer: I'm no way associated with this brand / product, just sharing for the benefit of members)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some pictures of our setting now:
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_9336.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_9330.jpg  

Mile10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 16:09   #1575
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Morning I woke up and saw that a big rat was caught in it and really happy with this.
them was gone
A basic question- what do you do after the rat gets trapped, how do you dispose of it? Does one need to open the trap, handle the rat and do something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks