Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 17:58   #1666
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have used this only twice so far.
I spray this anti rat spray in the engine bay once a month.
Have you noticed any impact or discoloration on the plastic/ rubber/ metal parts, post spray?
With the recommended 2 coats per application, would a 100ml can last more than one application?
Old 19th December 2022, 12:18   #1667
BHPian

Black Cat Rat Trap

Noticed rats moving around my house recently and bought the 'Black Cat Rat Trap' from Amazon for Rs.399. In the sixth day, caught the first one!

The bait used was a slightly-cooked coconut-piece smeared with Tandoori-chicken-sause.

I also used rat-poison from HIT-brand along my walls and saw two rats lying dead in the second day.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-trap.jpg  

Attached Images

manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 00:20   #1668
BHPian

The Bitter Repellent is a much better option than the rat cakes. Repelling the rats is much better than killing them. We don't want the rats to die inside the engine room of a car! It will start stinking and incur huge expense of cleaning and removing the smell.

I used BITTER Repellant made by UPL (purchased on Amazon) in my dad's SWIFT. As long as you don't wash the engine bay after application, it is very effective. The rats come but don't touch the wires! However, while applying BITTER, one should wear an N95 mask or tie a towel around their head. Its taste is extremely bitter.

For bandicoot rats (large rats) many breeds have become resistant to rat cakes. They don't die. For us we think rat cakes is poison. But if they survive the rat cakes they will keep coming back and create greater damage, as for them it is food. Remember in rat cakes the poison is mixed with rat tasty medium. This is what exactly happened in my car so I'm saying this with experience.

Believe it or not the bandicoot rats bit even the edges of the fuse box in my car's engine bay. They bit away the windshield washer, water tubes that go from the pump to spray nozzle.

Quote:
Good stuff this Bitter repellent.
Be cautious. Use only with gloves and mask.
Its got a horrible bitter taste and when you breathe it in, it really is miserable.
The rat cakes too are good
Can be kept near the parking spaces.
trail_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 16:35   #1669
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Another Anti Rat medicine.
Went to Madhu’s for half yearly alignment and balancing and tyre rotation.
Saw this and bought it.
Its been installed in the engine bay with a plastic tie.
I believe it keeps the beastly rodents away for 3-4 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-1b106754c04b40aaafd03db33f6aa6e6.jpeg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-d33fa341ab014c96844f0469c5e59b2c.jpeg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-be9ed6d02f98445abf44a3a1aed7a149.jpeg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-15b6835bdccf47ba9d6d0669d7405fe9.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 17:33   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Another Anti Rat medicine.
Went to Madhu’s for half yearly alignment and balancing and tyre rotation.
Saw this and bought it.
Its been installed in the engine bay with a plastic tie.
I believe it keeps the beastly rodents away for 3-4 months.
A rat decided to invade the bonnet of my Bimmer and have a little midnight snack. This was a few months ago.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_1046.jpeg

I got a similar solution in Madhus, not sure if this works but well worth a try. Now that I have started parking my car in an entirely different building altogether, I don't know if it is the repellent or just the new place, but I have had no such issues after installing this.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_1230.jpeg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_1229.jpeg

Last edited by HighRevving : 4th January 2023 at 17:35.
HighRevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:31   #1671
BHPian

I suspected a rat entry in my Harrier - as I saw sponge bits in the boot.

Sent the car to TASS and asked them to check them the air extractor assembly; thanks to this thread. They checked and still haven't found anything. I was surprised to see Tata provide a good quality mesh for the air extractor assembly so that rats do not easily chew their way in.

Last week, I noticed 2 small pieces of sponge and vacuumed it. I opened the boot again in 2 days and find the mess posted in the picture below.

I have vacuumed the entire car, and still don't know if it is rat or something else? My SA says rats tend to create more mess and not just nibble on sponges. There are no other damages. Back covers of the seat, wires , engine bay is all intact.

Any pointers? Can a lizard do this damage? (Asking this as I live in a farm and we have a lots of lizards)
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-screenshot_20230119_181425_gallery.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20230119wa0003.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20230119wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by The Riddler : 19th January 2023 at 18:32.
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:41   #1672
VIZ
BHPian

Hi, I'm having Brezza ZXI+ AT 2022 model. Dealer is recommending rat mesh to prevent rat entry. Is rat mesh alone sufficient to keep them away?
Old 21st February 2023, 10:47   #1673
BHPian

Rats attacked my father's Creta. He is not using it much, and uses once a week only. It has been sitting in covered parking since he got a i10 AMT. AC stopped working initially, which got fixed at service center, some pipe was damaged by rats.

Later within a week the car did not start, tried jump starting with another battery, but no use. Towed to service center and some wire was gone. Replacement wire was 7k, luckily sourced a wire from an accidental vehicle and costed only 750 bucks.

Went with 3M rat treatment (1200 bucks). The next day while I was checking the engine bay, I found this

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20230221_094915.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20230221_094920.jpg

Got 4 rat traps, installed them near all 4 tires. Next day morning I saw this. Trap got activated and rat escaped. You can see the biting on sides.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20230221_095450.jpg

Cleaned the engine bay and placed glue mats and traps re-loaded and placed near all tires. This is getting out of control

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20230221_100500.jpg
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 11:34   #1674
BHPian

Have used "Bitter" spray as many others have pointed out, and it seems effective.

An unconventional thing I tried - "Hit" cockroach spray, and it seemed to work too! Though not sure of the pros/cons of using it - I ensured not to start the car for couple of days after spraying it - to avoid any possibility of flames, and no rodents visited!

Though both of these were tried at my current parking-lot, which is not a quarter as much vulnerable to the pests as my previous place, so can't vouch for the efficacy - my car may be simply getting less often visited by the rodents. If I had tried these two at previous parking place & found it useful to drive away the pests, I'd have highly recommended one of these!

No harm in trying "Bitter" once, though.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 15:12   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_Kmu View Post
Hello everyone, Our Bolero was rat infested for at least 2 years now and I have tried multiple options as listed below and none of them seem effective
Quote:
Not yet hanzt. Bought Ratol from a shop just now. Need to see how it works
Well then... After trying multiple options and Ratol paste. Woke up to find this today morning. I don't know whether to laugh or cry Okay rats, you win

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20230210_162449508.jpg

Rear speaker wires cut, Reverse light/indicators wire cut, number plate bulb wire cut. Not to forget that disgusting urine smell . All the wires are repaired and the interior is cleaned and car is left open in sunlight
Shan_Kmu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 09:18   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
W

Rear speaker wires cut, Reverse light/indicators wire cut, number plate bulb wire cut. Not to forget that disgusting urine smell . All the wires are repaired and the interior is cleaned and car is left open in sunlight
Try changing the parking position, try parking in the opposite direction if there is no alternate slot available.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 12:34   #1677
Senior - BHPian

As of now I am keeping 5-6 good sized napthalene balls inside the bonnet at a few locations. We should allow the engine to cool down before placing them and remember to remove before taking the car out. No trouble for quite some time so far.

I keep a couple of smaller ones inside the glovebox too.
Old 27th February 2023, 16:28   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... I keep a couple of smaller ones inside the glovebox too.
Maybe better not... it is not good for you.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:37   #1679

I have been using Varna Suraksha Ultra Sonic rat repellent for last 7 years in my Chevy Optra LT 1.8 and have been very happy with the results.

I now have Tata Safari 2023 with ADAS XZA+(O). I want to install the same Varna Suraksha in Tata Safari too. But my worry is that this Ultrasound device might interfere with various sensors related to ADAS. Am I right? Any idea or knowledge on this? Anyone who has installed such device on an ADAS based vehicle?

Please help. Thanks so much
Old 3rd March 2023, 18:49   #1680
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive just bought and fixed these in all my cars.
It emits a very high pitched sound that rats and squirrels and similar rodents dont like. And to be doubly sure it periodically flashes a sort of tiny strobe light which also these creatures dont like.
It is connected to the battery terminals and earthed. Consumes a tiny amount of power. Costs around Rs 4455/- each on Amazon. My local Tyre Empire person sourced these for me today and fitted them up too.
I am told this works well as a preventive measure. Let us see.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-5d82b2f4f414480b9104e245d2478fbe.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks