Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 17:06   #166
BHPian

Raccoon,

You are right that they carry it to places. In my case , they carried it righ to the Engine Bay. I chk the car daily by opening the bonnet and found 2 half eaten pieces out of 4 cakes that I had laid at certain points.

Engine bay seems to be their fav spot. Found cakes one time in Swift Engine Bay and other in Bimmers Engine bay. Imagine my state.

1 Bandicoot size of a giant squirrel ..roaming around the engine. Man...
Old 7th October 2008, 17:52   #167
Senior - BHPian

Yes Inder... and the thought of those half eaten cakes coming in the proximity of some cat or dog or raccoon etc., gives me the creeps!

Btw, the devils that were successfully wiped out by my Mortein were also fairly large sized ones... much bigger than the average squirrel!

Another solution you desperate guys could try out - I saw some glue sheets at a supermarket last week. The pack mentioned that they were good for catching all kinda creepy crawlies - roaches, lizards, rats, etc. All that the thing needs to do is try and walk across it... and you got one (or more) properly glued vermin for your disposal...

Anybody tried it?

Last edited by Raccoon : 7th October 2008 at 17:55.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

My vRs's right fendor indicator wire was eaten away by the rat
and the engine bay assumed to be a pot ( if you know what i mean)
Old 7th October 2008, 19:17   #169
BHPian

Try not to touch Mortein rat kill by hand - i have seen that once touched the rats don't eat them - they can smell human touch i suppose. There are zinc Phosphide rat poisons available which are very cheap and available as powder - you have to sprinkle it over some food which rats like - they are much effective I think - but rats which eats Mortein supposed to die outside your house.
Old 8th October 2008, 01:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try not to touch Mortein rat kill by hand - i have seen that once touched the rats don't eat them
Hmmm?? I doubt if they are so fussy about food they eat! But anyway, if there is any element of truth in it, I'v never handled the Mortein cakes I used, with my hands.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:59   #171
Senior - BHPian

I have found the mortein rat 'cake' effective.

Had an issue with a team of rats making feast on my car's wiring. Few 'cakes' and stinging mornings later, all of them were done for. Last 1 year, no cakes, no rats and wirings are fine!

Another things that I do is place a cloth in the engine bay and spray some dettol on it before packing for the night. These guys hate the smell of dettol. And the cloth is tight rolled and the dettol is injected using s syringe; this is to make sure that dettol does not evaporate quickly. This, I used to do, when doing the cake treatement. Did not want them to die in the engine compartment!
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2008, 13:37   #172
Senior - BHPian

I had a problem and i baited with a trap. Took 3 days but finally caught the rascal yesterday. Am still keeping the trap to see if there are more of them.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:51   #173
BHPian

I use the rat poison powder (not too sure about the brand), mixed with atta and onion (so that the rats cannot smell the poison) to keep them away. Also, got to know from one of my friend that boric acid powder also keep rats away. I haven't yet tried it though.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:56   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I use the rat poison powder (not too sure about the brand), mixed with atta and onion (so that the rats cannot smell the poison) to keep them away. Also, got to know from one of my friend that boric acid powder also keep rats away. I haven't yet tried it though.
Wow Murali ! That is quite a main course meal for the little fellow . I still maintain and suggest people to go ahead and try by placing Tobacco Pouches @ the various entry points for the intruders .
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2008, 14:06   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Wow Murali ! That is quite a main course meal for the little fellow . I still maintain and suggest people to go ahead and try by placing Tobacco Pouches @ the various entry points for the intruders .
When the shop keeper had suggested the onion part, I was quite surprised and asked him why. He said that they are smart and can smell poison. And sure, I will try tobacco pouches as well.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:07   #176
BHPian

Hey guys,

I will try this for sure, tobacco pouches !! are we referring to the pouch we get at the smaller stores outside town or will emptying a few cigarettes under the carpet also help and can be vacuumed later. I had this problems during the rains and the rat had a party in the car since the car is not used when I am not in India !!!

I noticed someone asking about electronic cigarettes, a good brand is Gamucci but the refils are hard to find in the Middle East. The Govt has banned those if i am not wrong !!
Old 8th October 2008, 14:14   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hey guys,

I will try this for sure, tobacco pouches !! are we referring to the pouch we get at the smaller stores outside town or will emptying a few cigarettes under the carpet also help and can be vacuumed later. I had this problems during the rains and the rat had a party in the car since the car is not used when I am not in India !!!

I noticed someone asking about electronic cigarettes, a good brand is Gamucci but the refils are hard to find in the Middle East. The Govt has banned those if i am not wrong !!
Srini! Thes pouches i am referring to are the ones available in smaller stores (read as pan shops) outside town and in Telugu they are referred to as "CHHUTTA" . These are basically tobacco leaves and have quite a pungent smell to ward off the little intruders. Definitely not the Stylish Stamina Sticks or so called Cigarettes when i meant Tobacco Pouches . You can find these on the outskirts of a town with most of the village population love these for a smoke.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 8th October 2008 at 14:15.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:47   #178
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Use WD40 to keep rats at bay

Buy a can of WD40 and spray it in and around your engine bay. Most rodents like rats, cockroaches find the smell very offensive and will stay away from your car. I used the same when I had rats feasting on the fuel lines of my M 800

Spraying WD40 also serves a dual purpose of acting a water repellent.

Try it, it definitely works

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 08:48   #179
BHPian

Ok...stupid question...can the WD 40 be sprayed inside the car as well??
Old 10th October 2008, 10:42   #180
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Ok...stupid question...can the WD 40 be sprayed inside the car as well??
Absolutely, it can be sprayed if you don't mind the mild smell that emnates from it. Like I mentioned rats and other rodents hate this smell and will not mistake your car's wires for food!

Cheers,

gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks