Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:53   #196
BANNED

Hmm.. But I am even worried to drive the car now..

Would it be ok if I change the coolent pipe and drive it down to the service station? Or should I call the service guy to my place and get it inspected before driving it down?
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:55   #197
BHPian

Was the car remained parked for a long time?

It did happened to my Alto few years back, but the damage was not this much. I had to replace the complete wiring. In my Apartment, where cars are parked on the ground floor, I see a lots of rats running across here and there as I go for a morning walk in the early mornings. I am worried that this could happen to me again. Is there a way out for this rat menace?
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:58   #198
BHPian

Get the car checked from a GOOD car electrician...then take it to a good A.S.S. & get the insulation done. Do you eat or have dropped eatables in the car? If so STOP. Also, put some tobacco in a pouch under the hood (safe place where it won't scatter every time you drive your car). that should prevent the rodent coming in again. There are other threads also addressing this. Look those up.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:17   #199
BHPian

Leave some tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Was the car remained parked for a long time?

It did happened to my Alto few years back, but the damage was not this much. I had to replace the complete wiring. In my Apartment, where cars are parked on the ground floor, I see a lots of rats running across here and there as I go for a morning walk in the early mornings. I am worried that this could happen to me again. Is there a way out for this rat menace?
This happened in my Xeta earlier. They gnawed some wires and windshield water spray pipe. Not much damage, was changed free during service.

Buy some loose tobacco available for Rs.2 a packet. Whenever you park your car overnight leave 2 or 3 open pouches on the engine, battery or wherever .

Never leave any food items especially sweets in the car. If they enter into cabin you will suffer much more damage.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:26   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
\Also, put some tobacco in a pouch under the hood (safe place where it won't scatter every time you drive your car).
I never knew tobacco could stop rats !! I used Mortein Rat killer cakes some time ago
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse Tobacco Pouches do stop the rat menace and I can vouch for it too as the little fellas did quite some damage to the wiring under my Alto's hood. The pouches work absolutely fine as they ward the little fellas and it works.

Check the thread below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:52   #202
Senior - BHPian

With so many exposed wires, it looks like rat was at play for long time or there were too many of them.
Better to replace entire wiring harness instead of replacing damaged wires.
And, first take steps to prevent further damage by rodents before replacing wires in the car. Was any other car similarly damaged in parking slots closer to yours?
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:25   #203
Senior - BHPian

THats one heck of a lot of damage for just a few days. Probbly gnawing away for long. Did have the same trouble with plastic tubes of my omni (in mumbai) and Matiz (in Bangy) but for no reason they stopped after causing a little damage. But yes it can be very critical at times. Can cause a short circuit and Fire. You must get it checked by the MAruti ***. ASAP. probably hurt the pocket too. pl keep us posted.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:37   #204
BHPian

Same Pinch

The very same thing happened with me also; by looking at the pics it seems that the damage is very less. They have bitten the rubber and insulation only.

In WagonR they have completely broken the wiring near fuses and AC went kaput, also washer and also it bitten wire near the spark plug completely breaking one wire. Car refused to start.

Taken to MASS and they had taken full half day to rewire and tape it. Then i have asked them to tape the complete wire set in the engine. Cost 350 Rs for rewiring. Complete replacement of wiring is not recommended to me. Then also Rat has spoiled A/C wiring once more.

Only Solution: Put rat kill inside the hood Rs 5, It consist of 5 tablets put 2 tabs at one side near the battery and similarly near washer pipe. Keep the rat kill daily till rat die. Also get the metal brush from hardware shop and keep it near the battery. That is the place where rats enjoy the luxury of sauna in car.
Tobacco doesnt worked in scaring rats away but it has left its smell in A/C went, and that troubled me while switching AC.

Also change position of my parking daily.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:06   #205
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged, please use search function before starting new threads
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:06   #206
BANNED

Thanks for the suggestions. All the electricals are working fine except the back light of speedo. Still will get everything checked.

I went to A.S.S. today but they do not have the stock of the radiator to coolent tank hose. He told me the only place I can get that is from JC road near urvashi theater. Will go there in evening and try my luck.

The nearest MASS near my place is BIMAL and after reading about BIMAL on the forum I dont want to take it to them. Any suggestions as to where can i take my car to. I stay in whitefield area. I'd not prefer to go far as i am not sure about the damages caused and I dont want to drive it for long without getting it fixed.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:18   #207
Senior - BHPian

i'd suggest a good electrician + maruti a.s.s inspection + a good rodent pesticide sprayed in the boot. there must be some way to prevent those pesky animals from entering. i'd say, get them out totally, and try shutting the most obvious points of their entry with a mesh grille. by most obvious i mean, those that CAN be sealed. do not worry man, the wiring can be replaced. you should be happy there was no short circuit. besides that, id recommend disconnecting the battery while the car is not being used.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:32   #208
Senior - BHPian

Mortein Rat Kill is the solution, i makesure i keep couple of small pieces on a regular basis. inside the hood and that has worked.

I did try tobbaco a month back, quiet surprisingly have not found any rats foot prints or bits under the hood so far...
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:29   #209
BANNED

Had gone to MASS today.. was shocked to see the damage done.
As I guessed earlier, they gave me all sorts of reason to get the complete wiring changed.

Estimate?
A WHOOPING 25-30k. Just for the wiring. this estimate can increase if some more parts are found to be damaged.

For time being, replaced 3 Pipes, so called 2 heater hoses and break pressure hose. Coolent hose was not in stock.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:52   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A WHOOPING 25-30k. Just for the wiring.
Oh good grief! Insurance? Are you going to claim?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks