Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 17:31   #106
BHPian

I have used the tobacco & it does not help.

As far as Indica goes, the garage will help you with a mesh below. However, for other cars, I'm not too sure.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:55   #107
Senior - BHPian

Growing cats in the car. LOL!
Old 30th July 2008, 23:00   #108
BHPian

this is the solution !

Hey buddy !

Twice during monsoon 2004 i had rats gnaw away entire loom on my old Uno. This led to a number of recurring electrical problems till i disposed the car.
When i took a new car in 2004 , one oldtimer mechanic suggested that i tie the plastic / nylon mesh bags ( a bit like batua with a blue plastic bead at either of the end to keep the knot in place).You get these at road side vendors keeping plastic wares , people use then sometimes to tie around water taps as a makeshift filter
Tie 4/5 these in strategic positions where you see spoor of the rodent , and put 4/5 phenyl balls in each of these bags. Rs.4 / bag or so and rs.35 for 250 mg phenyl balls.
This works ,,,, to date after that , i have not had a rodent biting away at the wires.... it seems they cant bear the smell of phenyl.

Only make sure you replace the balls once they evaporate completely. The bags can remain there for years.

Do let other people know of this simple and cheap remedy!
Old 30th July 2008, 23:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

Block some open/unwanted holes in your car

Even I had problem with rat around 1 year back. They have eaten my car's right and left indicator wires and when I switched on indicator result was 5 blown fuse because of short circuit.
I repaired the wire but next day again they cut the wire. This happens to me 5 - 6 times. I was frustrated.

I observed something, rat is damaging only side indicator wire of my car. I again observed in 800 there is a big hole on either side of engine bay and wire of side indicators passed from it. I tried to look into that, I found that rat is making both side as of their Night Guest House.

I took news papers and folded it hard and blocked both the hole on either side of engine bay in my 800.

Thank God ! and Touchwood ! after that my problem is solved. So friends please observe their behaviour (As if they are cutting only some of the wires, is there any rat house like place/holes in your car etc.)

If there are holes (Which rat can access and or similar to rats hole) try to block it. This may help to prevent rats from entering car. They will come, they will try, if they fail repeatedly, they give up and never come to your car.

Good Luck !
Old 31st July 2008, 08:11   #110
BHPian

From time to time, I use Rat Poison mixed in Atta and keep in under the car, in the car and in few other places in my garden. This has been very effective for me.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Aww...Rats !!!

Has anyone tried this product ?

rat repellent, rodent repellent, rodent repeller, rat repeller, electronic rodent repellent, sonic rodent repellent, ultrasonic rodent repellent, rodent repel, rodent deterrent, pest repellent, electronic pest repellent, ultrasonic pest repellent, so

A year or so ago was proactively considering this but then the rats possibly thought my beast wasn't marquee enough and that it may damage their brand image to be associated with the likes of yours truly and his Scorpio...and so the rats didn't come a visiting (touchwood !).
Anyway I spoke to the MD here and was quite a helpful chap and gave me few insides about the product etc and I seriously thought about it - but then didn't ultimately go in for it.
One issue with the product is once installed the vehicle has to be started atleast once in 3 days or else the battery is drained out by the product. So if you have a situation where you tend to leave the vehicle unattended for days on end, it could be a problem.
OK - since this thread is pretty old haven't gone through all the pages - and if anyone has posted this earlier - apologies !

Last edited by Guderian : 31st July 2008 at 11:07.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:14   #112
Team-BHP Support

Any idea whether this product is available from open market? Any leads on price etc.,
This would be a problem in apartment buildings where there are dogs as they would be able to hear the 80-110dB Ultrasonic beep
Old 31st July 2008, 11:15   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You shouldn't be able to smell it. If you can. there is a chance that poisonous fumes you can't smell are entering the car!

But the pepper is soon going to loose its strength, especially that which gets heated by the engine, and will probably need replacing every day or so.

Just stop by the roadside, get out the pepper grinder and open the bonnet. Id anyone enquires, tell them you thought that this was the way to get a hot hatch!

Guys I am serious, rat would be in the car when you have parked it and not while driving due to the vibration and the engine sound/heat. You can sprinkle some pepper powder when you park the car
Old 31st July 2008, 11:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any idea whether this product is available from open market? Any leads on price etc.,
This would be a problem in apartment buildings where there are dogs as they would be able to hear the 80-110dB Ultrasonic beep
Hi, Let me remember the conversation - I think you can directly contact the company and they'll arrange the stuff - you'll have to go to your friendly neighbourhood grease monkey and get it installed. All instructions are enclosed in the package.
Further if I remember right I was informed that it wouldn't effect or annoy the other denizens of our homes or sorrounding environment ...not sure, but if does effect the dogs I guess it'll keep them away as well ?
I think the price quoted was around Rs 1200/-.

Last edited by Guderian : 31st July 2008 at 11:30.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:27   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Guys I am serious, rat would be in the car when you have parked it and not while driving due to the vibration and the engine sound/heat. You can sprinkle some pepper powder when you park the car
Unfortunately the rat will not always get away from the car and can be mangled in the engine.

The stench of rotting rat is truly dreadful. I had to have part of the car taken apart until they could find and clear out the remains.

Err... I think I posted this before!
Old 31st July 2008, 17:25   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi, Let me remember the conversation - I think you can directly contact the company and they'll arrange the stuff - you'll have to go to your friendly neighbourhood grease monkey and get it installed. All instructions are enclosed in the package.
Further if I remember right I was informed that it wouldn't effect or annoy the other denizens of our homes or sorrounding environment ...not sure, but if does effect the dogs I guess it'll keep them away as well ?
I think the price quoted was around Rs 1200/-.

I saw this device's circuit in Electronic For You magazine and even I made one when I was in Junior college. I made it as Mosquito Repellent. I did not tested with rats. With mosquito it was certainly working. I mounted all the stuffs in general PCB.

1200 price seems to be very high for me. This can be made in DIY stuff. Let me search and I post a link in this forum from internet.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I saw this device's circuit in Electronic For You magazine and even I made one when I was in Junior college. I made it as Mosquito Repellent. I did not tested with rats. With mosquito it was certainly working. I mounted all the stuffs in general PCB.

1200 price seems to be very high for me. This can be made in DIY stuff. Let me search and I post a link in this forum from internet.
Hi Anuj ,

Do give the phenyl balls ( in small plastic mesh bags ) a try. The smell really puts the rats off. It is the most cost effective and the MOST 100% EFFECTIVE way of preventing rats from making the hood a safe and warm habitat safe from rain , flooded holes and cold breeze....
Tie a few of these bags in the most likely places rats hide
1) on either side of strut mounting casing
2) near water reservoir
3) next to the battery and the fuse box
4) even near the injector nozzles , but this one evaporates quickly due to extra heat....

let me know in case you try.

regards,
kedar
Old 14th August 2008, 11:32   #118
BHPian

I too had this rat menace some time back and my bad luck, the rat died inside my dash box.. Oh Man, what a smell it was . I had it serviced and the service advisor told that the rat might have entered through the AC blower entrance. I am not sure whether Indigo has any protection in the blower to prevent such nuisances , but then he gave me some advice.Just before switching off the engine,make sure the recirculation switch is on so that the blower is shut off and then when you park, no one can enter your car through the blower intake. From then, I am following this judiciously and touch wood, I haven't had any rat menace after that..
Old 19th August 2008, 12:03   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Anuj ,

Do give the phenyl balls ( in small plastic mesh bags ) a try. The smell really puts the rats off. It is the most cost effective and the MOST 100% EFFECTIVE way of preventing rats from making the hood a safe and warm habitat safe from rain , flooded holes and cold breeze....
Tie a few of these bags in the most likely places rats hide
1) on either side of strut mounting casing
2) near water reservoir
3) next to the battery and the fuse box
4) even near the injector nozzles , but this one evaporates quickly due to extra heat....

let me know in case you try.

regards,
kedar

Is the phenyl ball different from the Naphthalene balls used for cockroach.
I put lot of Naphthalene balls inside the hood and cabin, but of no use..
Old 19th August 2008, 16:33   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Our Swift and my Dad's Indica suffer from Rats using them as a sort of building site/ nesting habitat, so Ive had the garage do a rat proofing with wire mesh so that they cant get in and hibernate.
For the Indica, Concorde Motors offers a rat-entry closure procedure for 1000/- All possible entries are closed with a metal mesh. I've had this done on two of my Indicas and it worked a 100%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks