Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 23:09   #91
Team-BHP Support

Crv took the toll, chewed up the wiper washer pipe and landed some wierd stuff inside the blower. Luckily nothing costly.

Since the winter has moved on, the issues have stopped. Touches wood.

Tobacco seems to be the ideal choice, and i think ill hang a pouch inside the engine bay.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:18   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

6/mar/08: todays deccan herald, b'lore, pg3 has something about electric rat repellent to be used by railways. called "pied piper." sounds promising.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:00   #93
BHPian

Gents....I had a rat visit my safari last month & feasted on the microphone cable. The service centre was as shocked as I was & they only suggested that I place the "rat poison" in the night, in the engine bay & remove it in the morning. The idea of "poison" did not go well with me & as pondering as to what could be done.

I am thankful from the bottom of my heart to the fellow bhpian who has started this thread. I realise that "tobacco" is the best solution.

Now gents, being a non-smoker all my life, what do I ask for in the "beedi" shop....any strong/ effective brands???
Old 6th March 2008, 14:18   #94
Senior - BHPian

Folks with kids please be careful while placing rat cakes in the cabin. As much as possible clean them out before loading the kids into the car.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:30   #95
BHPian

Ok,

What happened to point on Turtle wax vs other premium waxes and teflon coats...

Could some experts through ideas here?
Old 6th March 2008, 14:55   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Folks with kids please be careful while placing rat cakes in the cabin. As much as possible clean them out before loading the kids into the car.
and those with pets, esp dogs double careful !
Old 6th March 2008, 15:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.... Although they may be lazy about hunting, as they will be well fed, I hope they will still be a rat deterrent!
Yeah, just like the Tom in "Tom and Jerry" show. This cartoon show is a must for all those who suffer from "rat-ting". There are some serious tricks you can learn to catch the mouse/rat.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-tomandjerry1772201.jpg  

Old 6th March 2008, 18:13   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll get the cats inside next time it comes on the TV
Old 29th July 2008, 22:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

RATS!!! Chillin in engine bay!!

This morning i opened the HOOD of my car only to find RATS in the engine bay. 2 of the them sitting there.
Dont know if they were eating the wires or something like that. But its a dangerous issue and could probably cause a short circuit or something causing the whole car to blow up in flames
Now ive got 3 parking spots for this car and all are in different areas but have pretty similiar surroundings. So even though i park it in a different spot iam bound to get them.

IS there any way i can do something about this..??

My bro's Skoda2.0 has rats in the engine bay and the bugers had eaten up his wires. He had to pay close to 1.5l to get the car repaired.
Old 29th July 2008, 22:24   #100
F50
Senior - BHPian

Threads Merged

Please Use 'Search Option'
Old 29th July 2008, 22:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Ok here's how i got rid of the rat problem.
I had to kill those ugly creatures as i could not keep them away.There are two kinds of poison's that are available .. a tube filled paste (Ratol) and the poison cake.Each of them on its own i found very ineffective in killing the rats.
So i simply bought both the poison's applied the tube paste poison on the cake and kept it inside the hood of the car.The result killed the rat
in just one day.i guess a double dose was too much.
However be very very careful with the tube poison as it stings and should not be touched by hand.Also avoid inhaling the fumes.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2008 at 11:45.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2008, 02:57   #102
BHPian

This might sound funny, but it works....

To get rid of mice or rats:
Sprinkle black pepper in places where you find mice or rats. They will run away.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:06   #103
BHPian

Vinay, are you serious?? I'd sprinkle my engine bay with black pepper, but what if I can't stand the smell of cooked pepper as the car is being driven along?!
Old 30th July 2008, 16:16   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

You shouldn't be able to smell it. If you can. there is a chance that poisonous fumes you can't smell are entering the car!

But the pepper is soon going to loose its strength, especially that which gets heated by the engine, and will probably need replacing every day or so.

Just stop by the roadside, get out the pepper grinder and open the bonnet. Id anyone enquires, tell them you thought that this was the way to get a hot hatch!
Old 30th July 2008, 16:18   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

correct Jaggu.
This is why I dont use rat poison or other toxic chemicals to do away with them wicked rodents.

My Dogs are constantly sniffing around any of our vehicles which are parked for a time.

I ve found a good deterrent which I thought I would share here.

Our Swift and my Dad's Indica suffer from Rats using them as a sort of building site/ nesting habitat, so Ive had the garage do a rat proofing with wire mesh so that they cant get in and hibernate.

Apart from this, you get a pet friendly, doughy sort of substance, which contains rat poison and one can keep small portions of this inside the engine bay. This substance is harmless to pets.Any pest control outfit can sell you this substance.

By the way, tobacco as a rat deterrent Im not sure of. As far as I know it only deters creatures like leeches, who cant stand tobacco juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
and those with pets, esp dogs double careful !

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th July 2008 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks