Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2004, 12:59   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Speedsatya,

Thats a pretty colourful engine bay you have there. But my concern is the same as Rehaans:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I just hope that none of those brushes get loose and fall off and become a fanbelt buster or worse! Plus i would assume, being plastic, that they would melt over time
How long have you had this?

Thanks for sharing pictures with us

GTO
Old 27th August 2004, 23:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

no probs with the *brushes as only the spikes are of plastic.u also get metal brushes.none of my brushes have melted.have been using since 2 months.
even they happen to melt,its okay if it lasts for the monsoons as the rats seem to like my car only during rains.

ratbuster satya

Old 28th June 2005, 20:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

How do you ensure that nothing is below the car. We went out last weekend for outing. The car was parked in covered parking available. When I was about to take car out of parking shade, my cousin heard some sound. When investigated further, it was a cat below the car. We had hard time locating it, but then finally found out. It a really small kitten, sitting on warm front brake shoe. We tried all sorts of tricks for half an hour and managed to get it out. I am glad that I did not reverse the car and poor thing survived.

I wonder what precaution should we take to avoid such things?
Old 29th June 2005, 00:44   #19
BHPian

Why cant i see some images or smiley posted in this thread they only show as boxes with red cross in them .. Is something wrong with my PC or then those smileys dont exist no more ...
Old 29th June 2005, 12:13   #20
BHPian

Shields below the engine.

@ RX135:

hey pal, well its difficult to put some kinda shield near the tyres, but for the enginebay area, you can get a metal sheet made out in the correct shape and get it attached to the bottom of your car, that will help quiet a bit.

Hummers come with a thick metal plate below the car so that some stone wont hit the engine area, or the engine wont get scrapped somewhere while off-roading.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 29th June 2005 at 12:18.
Old 29th June 2005, 12:23   #21
BHPian

[quote=speedsatya]no probs with the *brushes
ratbuster satya QUOTE]

Bet 'Ratbuster' is not the service station's favorite customer.. Imagine the poor mechanics trying to get those brushes off every time and then, no doubt, being forced to install them again
Old 29th June 2005, 14:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rats in my place are a little better.they just go and sit in the engine bay and dump their waste but have still not resorted to wire chewing.and the rats seem to increase after keeping the rat poison.is the poison a after dinner delight for the rats or what?
Old 29th June 2005, 15:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Now comin to the rats, theres something called Rat Repellant available in the market. No, its not a spray. Some kind of a electric device which emits some sound which keeps away rats. I dont know how effective this is and whether such a Repellant is available.
Yes its a small electronic device which emits ultra or infra sound that the rats supposedly dont like. I dont know how effective it is, but I've seen many of these in the market.

Had rat problems once, but the rat didnt do much damage - it got splattered all over the engine bay after the power steering belt shredded it to bits. Still had to go to the service centre to spray the engine bay and put the belt back on - any more such attacks and I would've developed serious biceps from driving the car without power steering.
Old 29th June 2005, 20:13   #24
DRC
BHPian

I have seen such devices working on 230VAC, do they come in 12VDC variants too?
Old 30th June 2005, 18:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
ratbuster satya

seriously, i now understand what they mean when they say "Necessity is the mother of invention".
Old 30th June 2005, 18:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nitinbhag]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
no probs with the *brushes
ratbuster satya QUOTE]

Bet 'Ratbuster' is not the service station's favorite customer.. Imagine the poor mechanics trying to get those brushes off every time and then, no doubt, being forced to install them again

how often do you need to go to the service station????
and i have never had to remove mine except during the tappet setting.
Old 30th June 2005, 23:24   #27
BHPian

Someone had once suggested in the automobile column of "Outlook Money" that the odour from a partly opened pouch of tobacco keeps the rats away ! Full story can be found in the following URL:

http://*******.com/8zagx
Old 1st July 2005, 10:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind
Someone had once suggested in the automobile column of "Outlook Money" that the odour from a partly opened pouch of tobacco keeps the rats away ! Full story can be found in the following URL:

http://*******.com/8zagx
Yeah - just when I kicked the habit, my car picks it up!
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2006, 22:38   #29
BHPian

Rat Problem

Dear All i face a problem of Rats eating the wires in my car, I have tried putting napthalene bal-lls, Mortien rat poison cakes, Raw tobacco powder, But no avail even tried to change the parking slot. but nearly every car in the building faces the same problem..
Mods i didnt know where to post this, so if its in the wrong section please move

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 11th September 2006 at 22:39.
Old 12th September 2006, 01:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think instead of trying to protect only the cars from rats, all you apartment guys get together and try plugging all the entry points from where these rats get to your cars. Get the corporation authorities also involved in the name of epidemic and illnesses etc.

Try to get to the root of the problem and fix it. At the same time dont stop the.. rat poison and stuff under your car. That should cut down the menace significantly!

Most Viewed