Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 04:14   #1696
BHPian

Re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpan_spark View Post
How were your experiences regarding effectivity of the Bardahl spray?
All the sounds and scents failed. The rats kept coming back. Finally what worked for me were LED strobe lights. I bought something like this Linky

I have had this for a few years, and they have kept the rats away. Your car only needs to be less comfortable than your neighbors car. In my experience, they will gladly go find a different place or a different car. These lights come on when the engine is off, and they dont really draw much power. I had no issues with my battery.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:24   #1697
BHPian

Came across this video on youtube:

But I don't think this will be effective as one has to leave the area between the suspension arms and drive shaft open and this is precisely the area from where the rats enter the engine bay. Check at 1:43.
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:50   #1698
Senior - BHPian

I usually buy some Diesel and spray it around the car. This keeps everything away from the car including rats!
Captain Slow is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 09:30   #1699

Unfortunately, my dear Ecosport was attacked by rodents. I left it parked in the same spot for nearly 10 days, and when I tried to drive it again, I noticed an engine malfunction message and heard a strange noise (probably due to damage to the spark plug wiring, which caused one of the cylinders to stop working). I immediately turned off the engine as soon as I saw the malfunction message (within 20 seconds). I hope the damage hasn't affected the core components of the car. I sent an email to the insurance company and will call the authorized service station for further repair.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_5914.jpeg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_5916.jpeg
helloworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 14:35   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Unfortunately, my dear Ecosport was attacked by rodents...
OhMyGod, they had a lot of fun in there. Must be one of the worst cases reported here.

Hope you get it fixed promptly. Looks like insurance may be called for: I hope they cover.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 07:52   #1701
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, have a query. Don't want to share pictures of the dead rat itself because it's gross, but there was a stink from the bonnet area and I knew its a dead animal in there.

On the underbody protection plate was a fully burnt rat. How the hell did a burnt rat end up there? Or do you suppose it died out there, and was then toasted by the engine heat? But the car wasn't driven for about 10 days or so.

Was burned & dead on this underbody plate (right below the engine):
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20230731wa0017.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 09:04   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, have a query. Don't want to share pictures of the dead rat itself because it's gross, but there was a stink from the bonnet area and I knew its a dead animal in there.
Attachment 2484318
Is this is the Thar? Rats can continue to stay in the car even if it is driven. I have personally observed this is my Civic and even my Swift. They usually hold themselves up behind the wiper area and come down once the car is stopped. I have driven a rat from Santacruz to Bandra and even to Thane and could hear the rodent moving behind the dash while the car was driven.

It is possible it was holed in the car and came down and was struck by moving parts like the alternator belt or just got toasted by coming in contact with any heated part like the manifold/cat con etc. Other possibility I can think is that it had probably created a nest in the car and died there due to natural causes like age or sickness and the carcass remained there.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 11:59   #1703
Senior - BHPian

After both of my cars were affected by rat bite, which resulted in financial damage, I make it a point to drive or at least start the cars EVERY DAY. I have bough some anti rat spray from Amazon which I use once or twice a month but I don't want to just rely on it.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 09:32   #1704
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is this is the Thar?
530d.

Quote:
Rats can continue to stay in the car even if it is driven. I have personally observed this is my Civic and even my Swift.
Damn, he probably died in there the way you said. But the thing is, the car wasn't driven for 10 days and the little fellow's body was still smelling. I don't think a dead rat would smell for 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
After both of my cars were affected by rat bite, which resulted in financial damage, I make it a point to drive or at least start the cars EVERY DAY.
I know, man. But doing that is impossible with me. No bandwidth at all for such stuff.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 14:41   #1705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, he probably died in there the way you said. But the thing is, the car wasn't driven for 10 days and the little fellow's body was still smelling. I don't think a dead rat would smell for 10 days.
Rat died in some inaccessible part of my Swift. It smelt, then stopped smelling. Then its remains began to drip out. It was indescribably disgusting. I am forever grateful to the Maruti engineers who took stuff to pieces until they could reach the area and clean it out.

I think it could have been a couple of weeks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 22:28   #1706
BHPian

Ok so never thought would happen but then it did - a rat was lodged inside the blower area. Other day a horrible rattling sound emanated from the blower area while I was driving. Sent the car to ASC (Benchmark cars) and they sent me below pics - now the question I have is that they are asking for 2 items be replaced, evaporator housing and the blower.

The question that I have is do i need to replace the blower as the service engineer has confirmed that it is not damaged at all but still wants me to replace it which I am not too keen becuase of a hefty charge of about 50K for the part alone. Will the smell be unbearable or it goes away in a few days / weeks. Please advise

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-photo20230808194235.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-photo20230808194255.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-photo20230808194309.jpg

As a permanent solution does anything else work to keep the rodents at bay?
Old 8th August 2023, 22:50   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotil View Post
Ok so never thought would happen but then it did - a rat was lodged inside the blower area.
Which car is this? And how did the rat enter?
You must know the access path to take preventive measures.

Quote:
As a permanent solution does anything else work to keep the rodents at bay?
I also faced severe rodent issues in my Ecosport.
They chewed various wires, the washer wiper fluid bottle, the brake fluid reservoir and some other plastic parts.

The service centre person advised me to use tobacco and naphthalene balls tied in cloth and kept close to the entry points.

Worked for me. You may try
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 11:13   #1708

It seems that a Rat cut only the alternator wire, just near the plug, it was fixed/reconnected. Will it spoil the vehicle warranty now, due to wire repair outside the authorized service center?
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-whatsapp-image-20230814-14.26.56.jpeg  

Nikunjnik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 15:45   #1709
BHPian

My Seltos has got two intruders last Tuesday. Seltos has been parked for almost a week untouched and the recent rains has made these intruders check for a new home.

As usual, I took the car out from my parking space on Tuesday morning and parked it to close the gates. There was some unusual noise from the engine bay, and I saw a well grown rat come out of the engine bay. It struggled to come out and believe got hit by the radiator fan. It had its last breadth and died on the spot. Instant Karma!!
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_7218.jpeg

Opened the bonnet and did a quick check on the probable spaces in the engine bay and did not find any issues. There were no alerts in the MID and so thought of driving the car.

I had a constant check on the MID and 5 mins into the drive started to see Low Battery issue. AC was not cooling. Called the KIA Service center immediately and said I'm driving there for a check. 20 mins later, I started to see all the alerts ABS, ESC, TPMS, Airbags and power steering flashing. Steering became hard and I managed to park the car on the shoulder and switched off.

Used the KIA Connect and called for the roadside assistance and got a prompt response and a recovery van was arranged in an hour FOC. Tried to start the car, it started, and I rode it to the top of the recovery van. Car was taken to the Capital Service center at Perungudi.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_7222.jpeg

Explained the details to the SA and asked him to do a thorough check. Found that there was one more rat that got stuck in the alternator drive belt and it was not rotating. So, all the components started to consume power from the battery and 20 minutes into the drive, battery got depleted and hence all these alerts. Battery was charged and the car was tested for any issues. Luckily I did not have any bites, cut in the wires.

ASC, washed the car and handed it over to me with a bill for Rs 750/-. Did a 350 KM long drive during the last weekend and did not find any issues.

Have to appreciate the KIA RSA and the KIA ASC for the prompt service and constant follow ups.

Last edited by saisree : 27th September 2023 at 15:57.
saisree is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 08:32   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian

How does one store dried tobacco leaves in the engine bay? What does one wrap it with and where are the best places to store it?

And how often does one change the leaves out? Once a month?

And what are these leaves called in Hindi? Lol!

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th September 2023 at 08:45.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks