Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 21:27   #1636
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Put a fuse in between. That's what I did with my Varna Suraksha device.
This model has an in-built fuse. There is a DIY video on their website and it shows the fuse in the video.

Also some 5% discount is applicable on Amazon for this product and you can buy it for 4,232 bucks.

CARCAT Ultrasound Rat Repellent for Automobiles - 4th Gen- ZigZag Waterproof Car Rodent Repellent Machine with Blue-Green Strobe LED and Touch Key Configuration features (Red) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08YFJJH5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_T73QWXA0XF84VT14Y1C1?_encod ing=UTF8&psc=1
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:29   #1637
BHPian

My 3rd update in this saga: I bought Autoguard spray (@ Rs.1947/- which I took a minute to realise that it might be indicating freedom [from rodents!]). It is 3-4 times more expensive than other brands, but I am hoping/expecting a proportional effectiveness.

Took the car to my FNG for cleaning up the engine bay and got the first spray done there. I felt they were being a bit too conservative with spray. I did a 2nd very liberal round myself that night.

Note/Tip: While spraying this repellent, at one stage, the liquid seemed to have briefly shorted a circuit somewhere as the car went into hazard lamps blinking mode. The problem went away after I tried some lights on / off reboot tricks. I suggest everyone cover all exposed wiring with as much electrical tape as possible, before the spray.

Does anyone know if Honda rodent repellent tape is available in the Indian market? GTO had recommended it in the past and said he got it shipped from his US contacts in the past.
hagarthenormal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:15   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Rats causing damage to wires is not limited to cars!

Rodent menace in train coaches rattles passengers (Times of India report)

Quote:
Another SWR official said: “People often throw food leftover on the tracks and coaches which is resulting in this problem. It is also causing damage to electric wires in coaches".

Last edited by adisan : 18th March 2022 at 11:27.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 16:07   #1639
BHPian

Finally, my Jazz became a victim of this species. Rat entered my car through the external the AC Fresh Air vent, chewed some foam and died with out a notice.

Opened the car with a foul smell emanating from underneath the dashboard. Now with HASS for cleaning, drying and sanitizing.
Old 16th May 2022, 00:19   #1640
BHPian

Dear Bhpians

Help!

I have this strange odour from my sparingly used safari dicor when I turn on the AC and blower. It is a foul smell which does not give up no matter what ever solutions I have tried. Around 2 months ago rat(s) entered my car via the engine to the interior but thankfully I was able to catch hold of the same and caught hold of em via the glue books placed strategically with some peanut butter on it. I have also got that particular area closed so that no more rats could enter the cabin.

The smell does not come from the car but the moment the blower or AC is turned on their is this pungent smell which gives me headache.

Till date I have:

1. Used odour X Car bomb from turtle wax.
2. Got the interiors checked thoroughly and remove the rat droppings.
3. Used Dr. Charcoal, kept baking soda and vinegar in car.
4. Used 3M AC cleaner spray.
5. Eventually removed the car’s dashboard and got the ducts, coils and blower cleaned from a professional.

However, that smell is still there and the perfumes I have used just mask the smell for some time but eventually the smell comes back.

I have also got the outside fresh air vent sprayed with disinfectant but to no avail.

I am really pissed off now and have hit a dead end where I am unable to understand what is causing this smell.

When I ask the mechanic they say, sir it’s just the smell of perfume and nothing else but deep down I know that peculiar smell is still there.

Could you guys please throw some light on what can be done and what is the source of this smell?

Now that I have got the entire AC cleaned via opening the dashboard which had some rat droppings removed thoroughly by the cleaner and sprayed dettol disinfectant over it , what is missing that I need to do to eliminate this pungent smell.

Any help shall be gold for me cause I - just like any other bhpian love my ride and this entire saga is seriously frustrating.
NST440 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 02:35   #1641
BHPian

Fungus in air vents is a possibility
One of the recommended treatments is to run the a/c at high temperature for a couple of hours
See if it helps
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 22:31   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Fungus in air vents is a possibility
One of the recommended treatments is to run the a/c at high temperature for a couple of hours
See if it helps
Thank you for the suggestion dear but sadly it didn’t work, kept it on heating mode for about two hours on full blast.
Old 16th July 2022, 06:44   #1643
BHPian

I have had a Creta for about 7 years now and at the first few instances, the car's belts were chewed off by rodents in the engine bay. A rat spray by Trident did wonders and I never faced the same on the Creta ever again - just once sprayed.

Now I have my new Thar, all of one week old and it has made trips to the service station already twice. On the first instance it had to be towed away due to temperature and OBD sensors failing during diagnostics. Almost 2 days later, the ABS/HDC/HCC/TC warnings are showing up. The engine cover has been chewed up with sponge pieces all over in the engine bay falling off from the engine cover. Going to get the 3M rat spray done today and started placing tobacco leaves in the bay. Extremely scary and disappointed that this should happen with a new car, but then it seems they have an affinity to new cars?

Lastly my parking slot is clean and no garbage etc nearby. I have been spraying dettol around the parking slot but no use. I'm also hearing from the from the SA (both at Sireesh and IG) that rat sprays dont help beyond a point. They are also worried about what it means for the mechanics that handle the car - with them coming in contact with the spray residues. So worried overall.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:57   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I have had a Creta for about 7 years now and at the first few instances, the car's belts were chewed off by rodents in the engine bay. A rat spray by Trident did wonders and I never faced the same on the Creta ever again - just once sprayed.
Kindly try this spray (Protecting cars from the RAT menace - Autoshine Rat Spray (Mumbai)).
There is no single solution. The Spray will not deter the rats from coming in but they will not bite the wires on which the spray has been applied. Using this since 2018 and touchwood no bitten wires.

Kindly check and see if you cover the wires with a thick metallic wire mesh. This will make them leave the wires alone. Also dettol effect lasts 2-3 days max and it is not to be sprayed on the engine bay but on the lower engine floor (engine guard) where the rats usually collect the debris.

Wire brushes or attaching pins and needles which can prick the rats is also another method of defense.

If its bothering too much kindly buy a Ratol poison tube and apply it over Roban cake and leave it in the car. This has been extremely effective for my car and it killed the rat in 2 days. This should be the last resort and the poison should be handled with disposable gloves and a face mask. The Ratol fumes are not good too inhale.

Rats are creatures of habits. Try changing the direction of the parked car every now and then to confuse them or move it to a different parking for a day or two.

Good luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 21:09   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Kindly try this spray (Protecting cars from the RAT menace - Autoshine Rat Spray (Mumbai)).
There is no single solution. The Spray will not deter the rats from coming in but they will not bite the wires on which the spray has been applied. Using this since 2018 and touchwood no bitten wires.

Rats are creatures of habits. Try changing the direction of the parked car every now and then to confuse them or move it to a different parking for a day or two.
Thanks. Got a 3M rodent spray done + raw tobacco inside the bonnets+ changed parking slots a few times before going back to my original - so far so good, but I know that this may not be the end of it ( though I'm hoping so ).
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 21:53   #1646
Senior - BHPian

A friend recently told me instead of tobacco leaves if we place mint leaves inside the bonnet it will have better effect, because rats dislike mint smell. I currently don't have any necessity to try this. If anyone currently faces rat problem in car, please try this and post your experience.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 17:22   #1647
BHPian

My 'windshield washer low' warning was coming often so I guessed there was a leak somewhere. It was obvious as I could see the water dripping below when I topped it up.

Took it to the service centre and they gave the shocker that it was a rat bite to the headlight washer pipe (which is connected to the windshield washer system as well). Approximate cost will be Rs. 2500 for replacing that part.

I am wondering how to protect these pipes as they are right at the bottom of the engine so cannot reach it to spray it.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:05   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this solution was discussed in the thread earlier. My Fortuner fuel pump sensor wire was cut recently, and was looking at options. My friend says this is working well for his Ritz, multiple brushes need to attached in the bonnet for this to be effective. This may have the potential to create a safety hazard?

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img202208210806212.jpg
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 16:58   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Lately, I am finding that the electronic repellants are turning rodent friendly and of little or no use. Perhaps the present generation of rodents have mutated their genes to overcome ills of these ultrasonic frequencies emitted by the repellants. Hence getting back to the conventional methods, I could rid our residence of rats for the present, using the three remedies stated below. Our house has a tiled and partly cemented compound (plot that is) , but also has the natural soil cover for plants and trees. It's the natural soil cover that facilitates the not so dear rodents to build nests. I could locate at least five such nests. Operation "RID HOME OF RODENTS" was started a week ago and I am happy to say that it's working. The rodents created other nuisance but didn't damage any electricals or rubber components of my parked two and four wheelers though. But they are gone now. Fare thee well!

Here is an interesting review about the electronic repellents :-

Quote:
No reputable university or other laboratory has shown these devices to be effective. At most ultrasonic pest control devices might alter the behavior of rats for a few days until they get used to it.
Three remedies* for rodents creating nuisance:-

(1) Use the pesticide Chlorpyriphos 10% G. R.. This is available in most fertiliser and pesticide shops under various brand names. The powder needs to be spread (30-40 gms) on each of the entry points of their nest. Wash your hands very well at least two or more times if this pesticide is touched. It can be better applied without allowing it to come in contact with the skin.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20220915_120930332.jpg

(2) Four naphthalene balls to be put again near the entry point of their nest. Rats steer clear of naphthalene and try to be many meters away from its toxic smell.

(3) Use eucalyptus oil that is available in most pharmacy shops. Some four to five drops of this oil can be soaked in a cloth and one or two such cloths need to be kept in the engine bay depending upon its size. The cloth can be fastened to any secure bracket away from the engine heat, preferably somewhere in the firewall. If the passenger cabin (only for overnight use or when parked as it has a pungent and repulsive smell) or boot is rat infested, depending upon the size, one or more eucalyptus oil soaked in cloth can be kept at decided locations. The effect lasts at least for three to four days and rats are very allergic to this pungent smelling oil.

(*It's preferable to know the exact location of the rodents nest/s for the remedy nos. 1 and 2 to work effectively)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 16:59   #1650
BHPian

Hello everyone, Our Bolero was rat infested for at least 2 years now and I have tried multiple options as listed below and none of them seem effective. They are coming only during the night.

1) Rat cake on all 4 wheels - They treat it like a snack. The following day I see the cake leftovers on top of engine head and battery and they kept on coming. Battery and engine seems like their dinner table

2) Tobacco - Tried both small and large dried ones. Both are fresh and had strong smell - Next day upon inspection, Rats urinated and shit just beside them and made fool of me

3) Rat spray (3M, Tomcat and few more) on Engine bay and all 4 wheels and suspension - During and after application, it was me who suffocated. Not the rats. Not even effective for a day

4) Starting the car and moving it daily - Not effective

5) Only one parking space is there in our home. So can't try parking in different places at night. If I park outside my home on the road, stray cows might scratch the car (It happened for our neighbour)

6) Rat glue pad - Small mice are caught. The large ones I think, after getting struck, it waggles the pad vigorously and escapes. End result, Stupid sticky glue in footwell area which needs effective cleaning

7) Rat trap - Earlier 1 or 2 rats were caught and killed. After that I don't know may be they learnt to pull the biscuit/coconut very beautifully without disturbing the string. Next day I see the rat trap intact with the bait missing

8) Naphthalene balls - Not effective

9) Rat poison paste/powder mixed with rice/bread - Same as rat cake. Didn't help

10) Milkweed plant buds and leaves - Not effective

Finally as a last resort, we let out dog loose at night. Usually our dog will be confined to one half of the house where he will be gated. Once it's let loose, it sleeps around the car. May be that restricted rat's movement near the car. For 4 to 5 months we didn't face much issue but we could see rat's urine and shit at least once a month (compared to seeing it daily months before)

One cab driver told me to put a bulb glowing under the car at night as rats don't come as they prefer dark. Has anyone tried this also ?

Other than tolerating rat urine and shit smell, they did damage the car twice.

First incident was chewing up tail light wire and lying dead in the same spot. A.S.S repaired it and did some rat care package which came close t0 5k. Despite that, next day itself rats came. Great .

Second incident was it got struck in AC pipe and the whole dash has to be dismantled. It might have been dead there for at least 2 or 3 days the technician told. Only after the foul smell came, I took the car to FNG. Thankfully it didn't chew up anything. Cleaned up, AC coolant topped and vehicle was given. Total cost including labour was 3.5k
Shan_Kmu is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks