Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 02:56   #1771
BHPian

Re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB10 View Post
Just need to ensure that the car is driven frequently to ensure that the battery does not drain.
There are products that ensure they shut themselves off when they detect lower battery voltage. The one I have shuts itself off when the battery voltage drops to 10.5V. This way the battery can still be used to start, and the device will not drain the battery completely. Another feature is the on/off switch. If you are going to leave the vehicle unused in a safe garage for several months, you could turn it off if needed.

I have left my device powered-on in my cars for more than a month, when I take my annual India vacations.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 17:46   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB10 View Post
Yes, I have installed it in both my cars. It is pretty effective and rat menace had reduced drastically post its installation. Just need to ensure that the car is driven frequently to ensure that the battery does not drain.
Thanks for the update.

There is a new one in the market VRPIME Ultrasonic Rat Repellent. Available in Amazon. Link here.

It does connect to battery terminal of the car and uses 3 AA batteries instead. So felt it might be better.

My friend got a similar one from the US and says it is working for him very well. Will be getting this one or CARCAT.

Last edited by livelyyoungman : 28th June 2024 at 17:47. Reason: Added benefit of the new rat repellent machine.
livelyyoungman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 10:04   #1773
BHPian

I have a rather unique problem I suppose.

I own a Honda City 2020 and fortunately was never bothered by rodents.
I was carrying two large Speakers in my car boot, one of which was housing a mouse and its litter (at least 8! ) of newborns. The big rodent got crushed under the weight of the speaker and was killed immediately when the car was in motion, I just hope it was only one adult mouse and no more.
On the 4th day I opened my car and noticed weird smell and found one very small mouse in the back seat, almost camouflaged by the beige colour, I feel lucky I noticed it. I wonder how it got in from the boot.
When I opened the boot, I noticed the crushed one and the other members of the litter. I removed all, I hope I removed all of them. I don't notice any damage yet, no nibble marks etc, I presume these were too young to have any teeth. I want to be sure of these things -
  1. If there are any more mice, how to eliminate them?
  2. Check for any damage done, (nibbled belts, wires, etc?)
  3. Remove the smell and disinfect.
  4. Make sure they don't come back.

I hope this completes the list. I would be very grateful if you could please suggest how to achieve the above and also if I missed any points.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 29th August 2024, 07:10   #1774
BHPian

I was using rat repellant sprays and similar products but I have noticed these sprays, though they work, leave a greasy residue on engine parts.
What I do now (which I saw on a Youtube video) is to have a spray bottle and fill the bottle with a solution of 40 drops of peppermint oil and RO water.
Everyday I spray this (of course from a distance of about a foot) on the engine as well as the wheel wells every day. I also bring the spray bottle when I travel. So far it seems to work but one has to do this almost every day.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 08:17   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I was using rat repellant sprays and similar products but I have noticed these sprays, though they work, leave a greasy residue on engine parts.
What I do now (which I saw on a Youtube video) is to have a spray bottle and fill the bottle with a solution of 40 drops of peppermint oil and RO water.
Everyday I spray this (of course from a distance of about a foot) on the engine as well as the wheel wells every day. I also bring the spray bottle when I travel. So far it seems to work but one has to do this almost every day.
I've been doing this every night too, for some time, though not in the engine bay. I just direct the spray from below, to the underside, including on to the nylon bottle brushes I've zip-tied to the lower arms (see some old posts of mine on this). This, along with naphthalene balls in old socks tied in a few places, seems to be working for me. Fingers crossed.
Old 29th August 2024, 08:26   #1776
BHPian

I had opened my Car Bonnet couple of days ago to top up water in the Wiper Fluid Tank and saw this 2 holes in the Black Insulation Mat. I thought it might be due to heat or poor quality material used. But, it has got me thinking if this is due to a Rat Bite? I really hope not. . Have never faced a rat bite issue in my Cars so far.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240827_142714.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240827_142731.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240827_142738.jpg
Old 29th August 2024, 09:45   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I had opened my Car Bonnet couple of days ago to top up water in the Wiper Fluid Tank and saw this 2 holes in the Black Insulation Mat.
It does look like a rodent bite. Did you not notice any droppings in the vicinity?
Old 29th August 2024, 10:12   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
Thanks for the update.

There is a new one in the market VRPIME Ultrasonic Rat Repellent. Available in Amazon. Link here.

It does connect to battery terminal of the car and uses 3 AA batteries instead. So felt it might be better.

+1 to this, I have been using this for 3months now and seems to be effective.
I used the battery AA mode. The regular Eveready Batteries (4 of them) lasted a month. I have used Alkaline now and its been working for more than a month.
I keep it under the car just in front of it since I don't trust it fully yet (fear of exploding ) . But it has been effective, not just rats i think others like lizards and bats are also not seen in the vicinity of the garage any more.
Old 29th August 2024, 11:17   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
It does look like a rodent bite. Did you not notice any droppings in the vicinity?
I just inspected the Engine Bay. Though I did not locate any wires cut or spliced, I saw these small particles at few spots. Are these Rat droppings?

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240829_1043242.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240829_1059473.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240829_1043082.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20240829_110108.jpg
Old 29th August 2024, 15:05   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
I just inspected the Engine Bay. Though I did not locate any wires cut or spliced, I saw these small particles at few spots. Are these Rat droppings?
Unfortunately, yes. Better park your car in another place or try one of the repellents discussed in this thread.
Old 29th August 2024, 15:13   #1781
BHPian

I just talked to a professional pest control agency. If your space is not huge they can do a rat control on monthly basis basis for around 500 Rs. at Kolkata.
I think that is not too much. You people can also explore similar possibility at your area.
Old 29th August 2024, 15:17   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the club!!. Those are Rat droppings. You have to try these various options available here in the forum. One will work for sure. Hope you suceed.
Old 29th August 2024, 15:45   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Welcome to the club!!. Those are Rat droppings. You have to try these various options available here in the forum. One will work for sure. Hope you suceed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Better park your car in another place or try one of the repellents discussed in this thread.
Oh Man.... Not the Club i was hoping to be a part of.
Will check previous posts for the most effective method to tackle this.

For now, i have parked my Car in reverse, so the Front side of Car is facing outside. Cannot park anywhere else as this is the only semi-covered Parking Place i got. Will take it to Service Center next week for a quick check-up if it has caused any other damage and also the cost to replace the Black Insulation Pad that it has ripped off.
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks