Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:49   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine Oil Additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
How much did you pay for Ceratec?
2,300 for Ceratec, 400 for oil flush and 3,300 for the engine oil. All 3 from Amazon.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd January 2018 at 12:58.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
How much did you pay for Ceratec?
He bought it for ₹ 2300 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... I decided to try Liqui Moly Synthetic engine oil 5w30 Molygen as well as the famed oil additive LiquiMoly Ceratec. The oil was Rs. 3,300, Ceratec was 2,300
Also,

Ceratec is now retailing for ₹ 2240 on Amazon India. The effective price. The effective price after cashback is ₹ 2016 (HDFC cards) and ₹ 2040 (Amazon Pay Balance)

PS : A quick search on the forum will give you details of few Liqui Moly dealers/sellers. Most of them sells for ~2k
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 13:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just changed to Liquimoly 5w30 synthetic engine oil along with Ceratec in my altis. The car is nearly 9 years old and 72K kms.
Liqui Moly has a somewhat strange nomenclature. Just by SAE rating of 5W30 or 5W40, it is not fully synthetic - added molygen/synthese technology etc. Only Molygen 5W50 is fully synthetic IIRC. There are various sub brands of Liqui Moly, Synthol is fully synthetic even at 5W30.

I had filled Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 in my Lancer at 150k km, and later found out its not fully synthetic... It does cost almost as much as other fully synthetic oils like Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. So, do check the specifics !

https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils...97&oil_type=30

Quote:
The difference with just this change is amazing. Never has the car felt so smooth and refined after an oil change. The NVH has dropped, vibrations are lesser, engine feels less strained, harsh and buzzy at highway speeds.
Good to hear :-)
Have done 2,500kms already after the oil change and it's just great.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th March 2018 at 13:12.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 13:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post

I had filled Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 in my Lancer at 150k km, and later found out its not fully synthetic... It does cost almost as much as other fully synthetic oils like Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. So, do check the specifics !

https://products.liqui-moly.com/oils...97&oil_type=30
Hi lancer_rit,

I am doing my (re)search before deciding on Ceratec, which led me to Viddy's post and eventually to yours. First of all glad to know a lancer owner taking care of his car. Now, getting back to the topic, I have a Lancer Invex and I am in the process of deciding on which engine oil to go for along with Ceratec. As per the various search, the recommended engine oil for Lancer engines (4g15, 4g93) is semi-synthetic 5w-30/40 (for Indian weather) oil; even my personal experience has been that the car felt noticeably smoother with semi-synthetic (shell helix 5w-40) oil vs fully synthetic oil (mobil1 0w-40).
So my question to all the experts in this forum is that,
1. is the recommendation may be based on the availability of the type of oils during 1995-200x years or is there a possibility that for these particular engines semi-synthetic engine oil is better than the fully synthetic engine oil.

2. To Lancer_rit: how is your experience with Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 vs other oils for Lancer.

3. Does Ceratec make sense for Lancer's engine? (engine is regularly maintained). If yes, along with which oil or type/category of oil.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 31st March 2018, 20:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
. First of all glad to know a lancer owner taking care of his car.
Thank you. My car will complete 15 years next month. Hope your Invex stays ship-shape.
Quote:
As per the various search, the recommended engine oil for Lancer engines (4g15, 4g93) is semi-synthetic 5w-30/40 (for Indian weather) oil; even my personal experience has been that the car felt noticeably smoother with semi-synthetic (shell helix 5w-40) oil vs fully synthetic oil (mobil1 0w-40).
I have been using and recommending fully synthetic 5W40 for many years (as soon as HM-Mitsubishi allowed it). Here's an old post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post1991362

Quote:
So my question to all the experts in this forum is that,
1. is the recommendation may be based on the availability of the type of oils during 1995-200x years or is there a possibility that for these particular engines semi-synthetic engine oil is better than the fully synthetic engine oil.
My answer is fully synthetic is better, and I would only use fully synthetic. A couple of months back in my last service, I went for Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 thinking its fully synthetic which I learnt otherwise post fact. I cannot say if semi-synthetic is also close enough, because I don't have experience with it - only mineral and fully synthetic, but "low temperature, initial friction lube property" of fully synthetic oil is superior.

Quote:
2. To Lancer_rit: how is your experience with Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 vs other oils for Lancer.
Its only been 2 months, car is sparingly driven now and also the engine etc are getting old. So, not able to share meaningful insights at this moment.
Quote:
3. Does Ceratec make sense for Lancer's engine? (engine is regularly maintained). If yes, along with which oil or type/category of oil.
Haven't used Ceratec before, so others would need to comment. Have you been using engine flush with engine oil change, even mild flushing agents like Bardahl ? If so, maybe its fine - else deposited soot etc may get dissolved leading to leakage/pressure loss etc in very old engines. So, its a matter of risk vs benefit as I see it.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 31st March 2018 at 20:32.
Old 31st March 2018, 22:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Having suffered this personally, I would not recommend changing oil grade or type on a high mileage engine. Contrary to what the manufacturer's claim using a synthetic oil in a high mileage engine can cause havoc with the old seals and rubber gaskets. I suffered at least two seal leaks and a couple of gasket leaks after using a synthetic oil instead of the regular semi synthetic I was using. BTW this is for a Mitsubishi Pajero done 1Lac. It is not the cost of the seals that was the issue but the headache of getting things fixed. Plus I wasted a lot of money on the oil.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 15:28   #67
BHPian

May I use Liquimoly Ceratec Friction Modifier on my Baleno hatchback petrol manual variant ?

The odometer reading is around 5000KM. I don't know whether my car has wet or dry clutch and hence want to check with you guys.

Last edited by amvj : 4th April 2018 at 15:31. Reason: added full name of the product
Old 9th April 2018, 10:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. My car will complete 15 years next month. Hope your Invex stays ship-shape.
Hi, to all, thanks for the replies, sorry for the late replies.
Thank you very much, with all the knowledge and expertise available in this community, I hope I will be able to keep the car at its best :-). Please redirect me to your car images if any.

Quote:
I have been using and recommending fully synthetic 5W40 for many years (as soon as HM-Mitsubishi allowed it). Here's an old post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post1991362

My answer is fully synthetic is better, and I would only use fully synthetic. A couple of months back in my last service, I went for Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40 thinking its fully synthetic which I learnt otherwise post fact.
I will have a serious look in 5w-40 fully synthetic then, from which brand do you recommend. I was using Mobil 1 0w-40, fully synthetic and the engine didnt feel smoother, I switched back to semi synthetic and things got back to normal.

Quote:
Have you been using engine flush with engine oil change, even mild flushing agents like Bardahl ? If so, maybe its fine - else deposited soot etc may get dissolved leading to leakage/pressure loss etc in very old engines. So, its a matter of risk vs benefit as I see it.
I had used engine flush before switching to fully synthetic, but not after switching back to semi synthetic (though I ran the engine with shell mineral oil for 10 minutes before flushing it out and switch to semi synthetic) . I am suppose to change the engine oil tomorrow itself and running out of time to decide on the best engine (and the second best) oil for the car, I would like to stick to it moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Having suffered this personally, I would not recommend changing oil grade or type on a high mileage engine. Contrary to what the manufacturer's claim using a synthetic oil in a high mileage engine can cause havoc with the old seals and rubber gaskets. I suffered at least two seal leaks and a couple of gasket leaks after using a synthetic oil instead of the regular semi synthetic I was using. BTW this is for a Mitsubishi Pajero done 1Lac. It is not the cost of the seals that was the issue but the headache of getting things fixed. Plus I wasted a lot of money on the oil.
Thanks for the reply Traveler. My Lancer's engine was perfectly fine, however I have observed very minor leak from two of the engine seals after switching to mobil1 0w-40. I will be getting the seals replaced tomorrow from Mitsubishi service center and trying to finalize on the engine oil.

To all: Do you guys recommend using engine flush again?

I hope, I am not completely off topic as whichever engine oil, the plan is to use Ceratec along with that.

Thanks in advance,
cheers!!
Old 9th April 2018, 10:49   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I hope, I am not completely off topic as whichever engine oil, the plan is to use Ceratec along with that.
I would suggest go for the 5w-30 or 5w-40 Liqui Moly Molygen. It may not be fully synthetic but combination works perfectly on my Corolla with Ceratec.

Since anyways we change oils in our car within 10,000kms, there's nothing wrong in going for semi synth liqui moly.

Same brands and proven means you can't go wrong with it.

Other option if 5w-30 is to try the Mobil1 if 5w30:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...f_rd_i=desktop

If 5w40 then go for the Shell Helix:

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...MYG0QXA0YWQW72

My suggestion would be the Liqui moly Molygen (green bottle) with ceratec.
Old 9th April 2018, 13:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had used engine flush before switching to fully synthetic, but not after switching back to semi synthetic (though I ran the engine with shell mineral oil for 10 minutes before flushing it out and switch to semi synthetic) . I am suppose to change the engine oil tomorrow itself and running out of time to decide on the best engine (and the second best) oil for the car, I would like to stick to it moving forward.
Mitsubishi A.S.S. use Motul but lately also started using Mobil 1 Delvac - petrol engines are not so common, so they stocked only Delvac oil which is for diesel engines but also can be used for petrol cars for eg. by fleet operators.
The one time I put Mobile 1 Delvac, I wasn't somehow impressed with the engine smoothness etc. Maybe, its related to aging engine or something not to the oil but I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 Delvac for a petrol engine.
In case you have not flushed the engine within 2 years or so, when you change to synthetic/semi-synthetic, do _not_ flush as the other poster also warned.
In this case, Ceratec may have risks if it opens up leaks etc by removing carbon deposits ...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 9th April 2018 at 13:56.
Old 9th April 2018, 14:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this. I have a Fiesta 1.6 done 86000km. Last week I switched to Motul 5W40 fully synthetic and now I can hear my tappets prominently.
My local FNG had advised against going fully synthetic but I still opted for it
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

If you can, please shift back to your usual oil as quickly as possible. Its no fun getting the engine opened up to replace seals etc. Instead of using synthetic, its better to change the normal oil more frequently. I change every 5k Kilometers and never had an issue.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 15:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest go for the 5w-30 or 5w-40 Liqui Moly Molygen.

Other option if 5w-30 is to try the Mobil1 if 5w30:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...f_rd_i=desktop

If 5w40 then go for the Shell Helix:

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...MYG0QXA0YWQW72

My suggestion would be the Liqui moly Molygen (green bottle) with ceratec.
Hi Viddy, thanks!!

I am using the Shell Helix 5w-40 right now. I am happy with it if not mighty impressed.

So, first step is to decide on the grade, 5w-30 or 5w-40, So apart from all the technical aspect (which is already discussed in the engine oil thread), I would just like to know, which one is (and feels) better in a Lancer engine, 5w-30 or 5w-40 graded oil. I am planning to keep changing the oil every five to six months or by 5K kms, unless the oil is really expensive and have to stretch upto 7 to 10k kms range.

I believe you are referring to 5w-30 of this Molygen: https://www.amazon.in/5W-40-Liqui-Mo...70_&dpSrc=srch
Can we source it locally in Bangalore? Doesn't look like I can have it before tomorrow, as I need it by tonight. Have already already ordered the Ceratec in the morning to be delivered tonight though.

I wish to be really impressed this time with the engine oil just like you, so would like to confirm on the Molygen.

The shell one is readily available at Shell outlets.

Quote:
The one time I put Mobile 1 Delvac, I wasn't somehow impressed with the engine smoothness etc. Maybe, its related to aging engine or something not to the oil but I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 Delvac for a petrol engine.
In case you have not flushed the engine within 2 years or so, when you change to synthetic/semi-synthetic, do _not_ flush as the other poster also warned.
In this case, Ceratec may have risks if it opens up leaks etc by removing carbon deposits ...
Thanks lancer_rit for your reply.
I have used this:
Mobil 1 0w-40: https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W-40-Fu...70_&dpSrc=srch

- don't know, if I should give it another chance or not. though I feel, along with Ceratec, it may be an overkill.

Ok, cool, I had flushed just 1 year back. And do not know,if it makes sense, but had got Shell mineral oil and ran the engine for 15 minutes or something six months back and had flushed it completely instead of using engine flusher.

Well, keep rolling in your suggestions so that I can finalize on something by today. If Molygen is really worth it, I will postpone the engine oil change.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 9th April 2018 at 15:15. Reason: to minimize confusion
Old 9th April 2018, 16:35   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Viddy, thanks!!

I am using the Shell Helix 5w-40 right now. I am happy with it if not mighty impressed.

So, first step is to decide on the grade, 5w-30 or 5w-40, So apart from all the technical aspect (which is already discussed in the engine oil thread), I would just like to know, which one is (and feels) better in a Lancer engine, 5w-30 or 5w-40 graded oil. I am planning to keep changing the oil every five to six months or by 5K kms, unless the oil is really expensive and have to stretch upto 7 to 10k kms range.

I believe you are referring to 5w-30 of this Molygen: https://www.amazon.in/5W-40-Liqui-Mo...70_&dpSrc=srch
Can we source it locally in Bangalore? Doesn't look like I can have it before tomorrow, as I need it by tonight. Have already already ordered the Ceratec in the morning to be delivered tonight though.

I wish to be really impressed this time with the engine oil just like you, so would like to confirm on the Molygen.

The shell one is readily available at Shell outlets.
I ordered both Ceratec and the Liqui Moly from Amazon. Took 2-3 days.

On my Lancer (4G15 engine), I was running OWS 5w50 fully synthetic oil.

First decide on the grade based on the manual and then get the same grade.

More than the oil change it's the Ceratec that lets you feel the difference. Which is why I said you can get the Liqui Moly Molygen oil.
Old 9th April 2018, 19:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
If you can, please shift back to your usual oil as quickly as possible. Its no fun getting the engine opened up to replace seals etc. Instead of using synthetic, its better to change the normal oil more frequently. I change every 5k Kilometers and never had an issue.
Hi, I have already shifted back to Shell semi synthetic as mentioned in the previous post. Thought of replacing the seals as it did not seem like really opening up the engine, it was from the top part of the engine. However, I have not really tried to check if the mild leakage has stopped after changing the oil or not, is that possible? Should I rethink about changing the seals?

Quote:
I ordered both Ceratec and the Liqui Moly from Amazon. Took 2-3 days.

On my Lancer (4G15 engine), I was running OWS 5w50 fully synthetic oil.

First decide on the grade based on the manual and then get the same grade.
As per the Lancer manual, there is no specific grade but a range of grade depending on the ambient temperature,if I understood it right, if the cold start ambient temperature could be five degrees and reach up to 30 degrees, then preferred oil grade could be 5W30, doesn't mean, they are the exact mapping and the numbers just represent grades.

Quote:
More than the oil change it's the Ceratec that lets you feel the difference. Which is why I said you can get the Liqui Moly Molygen oil.
Perfect, the focus should be on the Ceratec then. Will go for the same oil in that case, Shell Helix 5w40, so that I change one parameter at a time.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks