Team-BHP - Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/28532-finding-vin-manufacturing-date-year-indian-cars-2.html)

AFAIK , The only vehicle in India having a VIN number is the Skoda Fabia .

Today I had a look at my car (i10 Era) before it was sent for registration. Asked the sales person to show me the manufacturing month and year and he showed me some huge number (I think it's the engine number) that had letters 8M in between some more alphabets. He told me that it means "2008 Manufactured". Is he correct? Will the manufacturing month and year not be written clearly anywhere inside the car?

Note from Mod - Threads merged. Please do a search before creating a new thread.

Please tell me the way I can find the manafacturing date of maruti cars, more specifically SX4.

I need to make sure its 2008 and max Upto March. I have read few nasty problems in previous assemblies.

In Tata Cars this can be calculated from the Engine number.

Please help me urgently as I need to take the delivery soon

Hi,

Recently I was talking with a Maruti dealer employee; he informed that last two characters on specific number refer to manufactured month/year. We were looking at Wagon R; under bonnet there was small plate in left corner having bunch of characters, last two characters were C8, he decoded it to March 08.

I am not sure about SX4.

exactly I need something similar. From the Engine number of Tata cars, you can find out the year, month, plant, etc.

I will check this in SX4 in office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcxyz07306 (Post 828248)
Hi,

Recently I was talking with a Maruti dealer employee; he informed that last two characters on specific number refer to manufactured month/year. We were looking at Wagon R; under bonnet there was small plate in left corner having bunch of characters, last two characters were C8, he decoded it to March 08.

I am not sure about SX4.

Although OT, can you define how for TATA??

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkbharat (Post 828294)
exactly I need something similar. From the Engine number of Tata cars, you can find out the year, month, plant, etc.

I will check this in SX4 in office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 828370)
Although OT, can you define how for TATA??

Just realized that its there in the thread for TATA, courtesy to Mr Achin.

Yahoo! Groups

Ive been reading loads of storys about dealers cheating thier customers.
now i am very keen to know few things namely

1. At time of taking delivery how do i know when the car was manufactured . what documents should i ask the dealer or is there any other way to find out the time it rolled out of production .

2. What should be the main areas where i should keep my eyes open to find whether the car was used for demo puposes ?

It would be great help since i am planning to take delivery of a new car and after reading some stories i donn want to make the same mistakes

thanks

i have replied this query elsewhere on the forum.
here you go again:
look for the jargon of numbers and letters on the engine bay/ a metal badge stuck inside after opening the bonnet
e.g. 28760248E8
o.k. now carefully look at the last two letter and digit.
E and 8 in this case
alphabetically E comes 5th ,right? so it's the 5th month of the year i.e. MAY!
8 is the year of manufacture i.e. year 2008
so, it's a MAY 2008 car;simple!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samrat25 (Post 918327)
i have replied this query elsewhere on the forum.
here you go again:
look for the jargon of numbers and letters on the engine bay/ a metal badge stuck inside after opening the bonnet
e.g. 28760248E8
o.k. now carefully look at the last two letter and digit.
E and 8 in this case
alphabetically E comes 5th ,right? so it's the 5th month of the year i.e. MAY!
8 is the year of manufacture i.e. year 2008
so, it's a MAY 2008 car;simple!:)

Thanks a tonn.
does this apply to bmw cars too or do they have any other codes
thanks

not bought a BMW ever in my life:eek: or any phoren made car ever, so can't say. but now that all international brands freely available in india my guess is it should apply her too.

You can get the details from VIN here
VIN View /// AnalogX

My safari was manufactured in May 2008 I guess
Chasis number has : ERZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 919037)
My safari was manufactured in May 2008 I guess
Chasis number has : ERZ

yes perfect :) chassis barrel + ERZ +assembly line code+ running serial no = 15 digit vin no

Oh man am scared especially after reading bought guy who had problems with bmw car. somebody has to help me with finding out the production date . taking delivery of my vehicle on 17th august. I had trouble with my previous dealer i.e.. honda. ;)